PDA

View Full Version : Amphipods eating coral?

mfaso24
12/14/2016, 08:56 PM
Has anyone every heard of this or experienced this? To make a Long story short, I've had a couple corals have some during tissue for about a month or so now for unknown reasons including mostly sps and a war coral. I got caught about 3 pods hanging out in a dieing spot of my war coral right in the center. And I also spotted one on a dead/dieing spot of an acro (which has many dead spots at this point)
Is it possibly they are the culprit or are they most likely just eating dead tissue?
I honestly have a hard time believing they are to blame but was hoping someone with more experience could chime in.

https://vimeo.com/195734902

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captjab
12/14/2016, 11:32 PM
That's a first for me. There's a really good chance that the coral was damaged there and they are just cleaning up the leftover or dying tissue.

StatelineReefer
12/14/2016, 11:56 PM
Like bristleworms often do, it's likely they're eating the dead tissue.

AlSimmons
12/15/2016, 11:48 AM
There have been numerous reports of Amphipods eating zoanthids before, so what your seeing is not that far off IMO. It doesn't happen very often though. If you've got the time you might want to search RC and some of the other sites for some anecdotes.

mfaso24
12/15/2016, 12:15 PM
There have been numerous reports of Amphipods eating zoanthids before, so what your seeing is not that far off IMO. It doesn't happen very often though. If you've got the time you might want to search RC and some of the other sites for some anecdotes.

Yeah I've definitely read some of those I just am still skeptical. It doesn't make sense how everything is fine and then one day they decide they want to eat coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk