PDA

View Full Version : Newbe planning a 75g Mixed Reef Tank

Reef_Pilot
12/15/2016, 04:17 AM
Hello All,

As the title says, I am Newbe with a 75g Mixed Reef still in the planning and acquisition stages. I have kept various freshwater tropical fish as well as a koi pond for years. I gained a true appreciation and fascination for all reef life as a scuba diver for almost 30 years, exploring the Caribbean, Florida, California & Hawaii. So, as much as I enjoy the freshwater tank, it is time to hand it down to my kids and try my hand at something new. For the last two months I have been reading all that I can get my hands on, or find online. The more I learn, the more that I realize that I still have to learn which is very interesting but a little intimidating at the same time. I recently purchased a previously used 75 gallon display tank from a LFS, and am planning on a 40g sump w/refugium (maybe a 55 if I can figure out and make a stand for it to fit under the 75). I am trying to keep the costs down and have been scouring Craigslist for deals on equipment. I am also a big DIYer so I am also considering making my own rock from a mix of Portland cement, oyster shell, dolomite lime, perlite and aragonite, in ratios to be determined with further research. Hopefully, a few months will be enough time to get it done and cured before I have all the equipment and am ready to start cycling the tank. I am planning on a community tank with a few "easy" corals and other invertebrates, eventually transitioning to more of a reef tank with a relatively light fish bio-load. Well, that about sums it up for me. I plan to be a regular reader here and hopefully ask intelligent questions while I learn, so thanks in advance for the support.

thelawnwrangler
12/15/2016, 07:52 AM
Welcome look forward to watching your progress