PDA

View Full Version : help needed with emperor angelfish....

waldyrulez
12/15/2016, 09:47 AM
HELLO GUYS.

RECENTLY bought A changing Emperor Angel.
It is in 20 gallon quarantine. ammonia nitrite and nitrate 0
It had white spots so kept at hypo 1.008-9 with
10mg/l chloroquine phosphate and
Praziquantel powder at about 4mg/l now the white spots are gone about 10 days back but the fish is

scratching the gills
twitching very vigorously on glass
swimming with one gills shut occasionally and
has white poop. Sometimes it literally feels that the fish wants to come out of the water.

I searched online and found some forum for flukes but it is already been treated with praziquantel. I think the praziquantel powder is bad.
And PRAZIPRO Is not available here.
The fish has stoped eating pellets as thats what it accepted when came new Doesnt like clam seaweed chopped shrimp tried that thinking it might like it but wasted. prazipro is not available here and there is no other way to get prazi powder shall i try fomalin dip with methylene blue. please help guys.

scooter31707
12/15/2016, 09:54 AM
I applaud you for quarantining, but IMO, you have too much going on at one time. Once you realize you had ich, you should have treated for ich only (TTM), then moved to the next issue. Sounds like he has a case of flukes. If you cannot get Prazi-Pro, are you able to get Formalin?

waldyrulez
12/15/2016, 10:15 AM
i really thank for such a quick reply. it had a very mild case of ich thats why did not do tank transfer method rather treated with cp at hyposalinity and touch wood its gone. But the issue is the scrathing of gills and occasional twitching.I can get formalin solution with no issues here at local pharmacy. but is it worth trying. sometimes i just feel putting him in the main display tank thinking it might just fight by itself with the prestine water quality. but the main display tank has very happy yellow tang and regal tang thats why i thought of posting here.waiting for reply

scooter31707
12/15/2016, 10:20 AM
Yes, IMO it is worth trying, if you cannot get your hands on Prazi-Pro. IME, I have not had great success with ich when treating with CP. I more success with treating velvet with CP.

waldyrulez
12/15/2016, 10:23 AM
okay will try formalin bath by following proper dip procedure. will post about the progress. thank u once again sir.

ThRoewer
12/15/2016, 01:49 PM
1. The hyposalinity treatment should be fully sufficient to eliminate the commonly found Cryptocaryon strains. In general with Cryptocaryon, if you can't see it is of no imminent concern. I have a tank full of fish that live just fine with it.

2. Your Chloroquine Phosphate dose seems to be too low to eliminate Amyloodinium. 40mg/l would be the minimum dosage, though some recommend to double that dose.

3. While Praziquantel kills most Monoganeans (skin & gill "flukes"), some of the thousands of species are unaffected by it.
Some can be killed with hyposalinity (most Capsalidae), many are sensitive to copper and some require severe measures like Trichorfon (Dylox).
Also of concern is the reproductive cycle of the various species. Some have live offspring. Those species can often be eradicated with a single treatment. Others lay eggs that take between a couple of days to 3 weeks to hatch. Those require at a minimum 2 treatments, but 3 or even 4 treatments may be required in some cases.

With hyposalinity bacterial infections can become an issue due to the reduced antibacterial properties of the water. Though those infections are usually clearly visible on the skin or fins.

Other protozoan parasites that are not affected by the treatments you have done so far would be Brooklynella, Trichodina and Uronema. These are generally most effectively treated with a formalin bath followed by a tank transfer (I do it before the new fish goes into the QT).
But the symptoms you describe don't really fit these parasites.

The symptoms you describe, the stopping of food intake, the going to the surface and seemingly the gills being primarily affected, points to Amyloodinium or gill flukes.
So my advice would be to increase the Chloroquine Phosphate dose and repeat the Praziquantel treatment.
Alternatively you could switch to a treatment with copper. The upside of that would be that you can (or actually have to) measure the water to check that the dosage is right. The downside is that it can be harsh on angelfish and that there are Amyloodinium strains that can handle higher doses than fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk