PDA

View Full Version : When to remove coral from frag plug?

meverha1
12/15/2016, 02:25 PM
Any guidelines or best practices? Are there coral that should always be removed from their plugs? Likewise, are there certain types of coral that should never be removed?

I ask because I seem to have a few coral (Hollywood Stunner in particular and a cabbage leather) that are healthy but don't seem to be growing beyond the bounds of their frag plug.

hkgar
12/15/2016, 02:31 PM
I remove all my corals from the frag plug when I permently mount them in the display tank. I have all SPS and some LPS. Don't know about softies.

meverha1
12/15/2016, 02:34 PM
I remove all my corals from the frag plug when I permently mount them in the display tank. I have all SPS and some LPS. Don't know about softies.

Thanks. I don't have many soft corals either so they don't tend to a problem. The ones I do have (zoas) just cover the plug

hkgar
12/15/2016, 03:29 PM
Let me add, if the frag has significantly encrusted on the plug, I just snap off the stem and then adhere the flat part to rock.

I adhere with two part epoxy and super glue. super glue end of frag to the epoxy and super glue the epoxy to the rock.

snorvich
12/15/2016, 05:27 PM
I remove all my corals from the frag plug when I permently mount them in the display tank.

This. Before dipping.

AlSimmons
12/15/2016, 05:36 PM
If I can remove the coral with ease I'll remove it, otherwise I'll just cut the stem off and glue the disk to the rock work. Given the right conditions the coral will grow over the plug anyways and you'll never even know it was there.

eastlake
12/16/2016, 07:24 AM
I typically just leave them on the plug and like AlSimmons said, cut the stem off and glue it to the rock. The encrusting coral usually takes over the plug pretty quickly and you never would guess that it was even there.