PDA

View Full Version : Help with Neon Green Toadstool Leather???

duganderson
12/15/2016, 04:11 PM
I have a 34 g. mixed reef. All corals doing well except my neon green toadstool leather has not grown at all for months and has super limited polyp extension. It is near the top of my tank in fairly high, random flow fairly close to my Led lights.

Any tips, suggestions, etc.

nereefpat
12/15/2016, 04:39 PM
Water parameters?

Xxero
12/15/2016, 04:46 PM
My Toadstool prefers to be on the bottom of the tank and seems to like consistent, medium flow. It does not like a lot of light or a lot of flow.

AlSimmons
12/15/2016, 04:51 PM
I have a 34 g. mixed reef. All corals doing well except my neon green toadstool leather has not grown at all for months and has super limited polyp extension. It is near the top of my tank in fairly high, random flow fairly close to my Led lights.

Any tips, suggestions, etc.

Has the coral been in this same spot the whole time? Do you have any other corals nearby?

duganderson
12/15/2016, 10:16 PM
The water parameters should be good because all the corals leathers, sps, lps, are doing well. The spot is the same but corals around it have changed.

I'll try moving it down.

Cuber54
12/16/2016, 09:13 AM
The water parameters should be good because all the corals leathers, sps, lps, are doing well. The spot is the same but corals around it have changed.

I'll try moving it down.

I have my neon green toadstool farther down as well and has been doing great there, light to medium flow is what has worked for me.

AlSimmons
12/16/2016, 11:45 AM

I'll try moving it down.

Was there anything around it that may have been reaching out at night and stinging it?

FWIW all of my Toadstools have done the best with a lot of light and a lot of flow. Those stronger currents tend to keep the shedding to a bare minimum. (almost nonexistent)

nereefpat
12/16/2016, 01:55 PM
FWIW all of my Toadstools have done the best with a lot of light and a lot of flow.

Same here.

Water parameters?

Ron Reefman
12/17/2016, 05:52 AM

I'll try moving it down.

IMHO, sps & lps don't necessarily care for the same water quality as a leather or any softie corals. The stoney corals like cleaner water and more flow, the softies tend to like more nutrients in the water and less flow. But that's just my opinion.

EdgeN
12/17/2016, 11:16 AM
IMHO, sps & lps don't necessarily care for the same water quality as a leather or any softie corals. The stoney corals like cleaner water and more flow, the softies tend to like more nutrients in the water and less flow. But that's just my opinion.

If it's not too much trouble, can you define "cleaner water" & "more nutrients?" Being that were all kind of shooting for the same parameters, what do these mean in numerical terms?

Ron Reefman
12/17/2016, 12:26 PM
If you have no nitrates or phosphates, clean your water with filtration like socks and a carbon reactor, do very regular water changes, maybe a UV sterilizer... then you have sps type water. And more flow 30 to 60 turns of your tank water.

If you have some nitrate and/or phosphate (5-20), don't use carbon in a reactor, run filter socks till they overflow, don't change water as often as you should, have a slightly overstocked tank full of fish (lots of poop), then sps corals might be a bit less happy, but softies and zoas will love you. And slightly lower flow rates like 10 to 30 turns of the tank.

It's all pretty relative. I have a green toadstool leather in my display refugium and it's in heaven. But 2 months ago it was in my sps & lps DT with much higher flow and it wasn't happy at all.

And Leathers can be stubborn about polyps coming back out after a change. I've seen one not put out polyps for weeks, then it did and it looked great???