PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octopus BH 1000 Protein Skimmer

2h0t
12/15/2016, 09:36 PM
I just got my reef octopus 1000 protein skimmer last night

its making very loud vibration noise and water noise.

any suggestion to reduce these noise? people say its near silent but its making really loud noise.

Heuristic
12/15/2016, 10:32 PM
It should be near silent. If you are getting a vibration noise it's because it's sitting on the tank weirdly causing a vibration. Try adjusting it some

Heuristic
12/15/2016, 10:33 PM
Also... Can I see a pic of the left side? It looks like you may have a piece on backwards

Heuristic
12/15/2016, 10:34 PM
Also... Can I see a pic of the left side? It looks like you may have a piece on backwards

Never mind, I was thinking of a different model. Ignore this part

ComforablyNumb
12/16/2016, 12:32 AM
I have the same skimmer and it makes very little noise. Also very reliable. In the first pic, it doesn't seem to be hanging vertically. Ball up an old hand towel and insert it between the bottom of the skimmer and the back of the tank until vertical. It works much better straight up and down. The towel will also insulate any pump vibration, although I have very little of that with mine either.

If it continues to make a loud noise, there is something mechanically wrong I think.

Jeff B
12/16/2016, 11:41 AM
In pic #2 it appears that the skimmer stabilizer (the black piece with the screw) is sitting on the cross brace. That is also making the skimmer sit to high and not rest on the edge. I believe that is the source of the problem. It looks like you should be able to shift the skimmer to the right or left and then re-tighten the screw.

gotkuuipo
12/16/2016, 11:47 AM
I cut up some OXO silicon mats for vibration reduction - glue or just place in between.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2h0t
12/18/2016, 04:59 AM
It should be near silent. If you are getting a vibration noise it's because it's sitting on the tank weirdly causing a vibration. Try adjusting it some

I removed the vibration noise by reassemble the pump and placing silicon between skimmer and tank. Pump still make some noise. My vortech mp10 is dead silent and I'm comparing their noise level.

The skimmer outtake pipe and overflow making water running noise. Skimmer itself it's making those loud bubble foam noise. Maybe I have to wait it to break in?

2h0t
12/18/2016, 05:04 AM
I have the same skimmer and it makes very little noise. Also very reliable. In the first pic, it doesn't seem to be hanging vertically. Ball up an old hand towel and insert it between the bottom of the skimmer and the back of the tank until vertical. It works much better straight up and down. The towel will also insulate any pump vibration, although I have very little of that with mine either.

If it continues to make a loud noise, there is something mechanically wrong I think.

So I heard pretty loud water noise just like you went to fish store. There's outtake pipe water, overflow and foam. Can't really describe it but loudest water sound it's from skimmer body. If I turn off skimmer I can't heard anything . My circulation pump and filter doesn't make any noise.

2h0t
12/18/2016, 05:05 AM
In pic #2 it appears that the skimmer stabilizer (the black piece with the screw) is sitting on the cross brace. That is also making the skimmer sit to high and not rest on the edge. I believe that is the source of the problem. It looks like you should be able to shift the skimmer to the right or left and then re-tighten the screw.

My trim brace is very thick even I move to left or right. It doesn't really make any difference.

2h0t
12/18/2016, 05:08 AM
I cut up some OXO silicon mats for vibration reduction - glue or just place in between.

Thanks that's what I did and I reassemble my pump it seem to reduce vibration. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce running water sound it's pretty loud. It's like taking shower sound or something.

gotkuuipo
12/28/2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks that's what I did and I reassemble my pump it seem to reduce vibration. I'm trying to figure out how to reduce running water sound it's pretty loud. It's like taking shower sound or something.
Double drain, Herbie setup. Bean maybe.