PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading mp40 to QD

eder10986
12/16/2016, 06:53 AM
I'm sort of confused. Is all I need the driver to complete the upgrade?

Or do I need a QD wet and dry side as well?

Seems to me if that's the case that's just a brand new pump. What have y'all done and is it worth it...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktownhero
12/16/2016, 07:15 AM
I'm sort of confused. Is all I need the driver to complete the upgrade?

Or do I need a QD wet and dry side as well?

Seems to me if that's the case that's just a brand new pump. What have y'all done and is it worth it...?

The primary upgrade is the driver. The "QD" technology related to changes in power delivery to the unit which is driven from that unit.

The wet side isn't needed, I wouldn't bother unless you have a reason to replace yours. The dry side is improved in the QD version but it doesn't make sense to upgrade that... Just buy a new one in that case.

This is all clearly stated on Ecotech's site and in various other places online. Google is your friend!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

eder10986
12/16/2016, 07:43 AM
The primary upgrade is the driver. The "QD" technology related to changes in power delivery to the unit which is driven from that unit.

The wet side isn't needed, I wouldn't bother unless you have a reason to replace yours. The dry side is improved in the QD version but it doesn't make sense to upgrade that... Just buy a new one in that case.

This is all clearly stated on Ecotech's site and in various other places online. Google is your friend!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I recognize google is great. Decided to go the RC route. Didn't see any harm with that.

Breadman03
12/16/2016, 09:58 AM
I have a new QD and two WES upgraded with drivers and wet sides. The 5ish year old one isn't as quiet as the others.

The factory QD is notably more powerful than the others due to the beefed up dry side.

ca1ore
12/16/2016, 10:18 AM
The primary upgrade is the driver. The "QD" technology related to changes in power delivery to the unit which is driven from that unit. The wet side isn't needed, I wouldn't bother unless you have a reason to replace yours. The dry side is improved in the QD version but it doesn't make sense to upgrade that... Just buy a new one in that case.

Exactly! I bought a whole new MPQD40 unit and I also just upgraded the driver on another MP40 (as well as upgrading a MP60). I think the entire MPQD40 performs better overall, but in all cases the units are much quieter.

CafeReef
12/16/2016, 10:34 AM
Ecotechs president put out a good video explaining why the driver technology is what makes the new "QD" more about circuitry than mechanics.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oi4xCZq5vkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

125mph
12/16/2016, 09:19 PM
I upgraded two old MP40s in two steps. I first upgraded the wetside because my old wetside broke down after many years of use. The wetside upgrade is pure durability if you already have a working wetside. I did my upgrade because mine broke!

Later that month, I decided to upgrade the driver too. That provides nose reduction and efficiency. . I have not upgraded the dry side but if I did, I would get some more flow options.

https://s29.postimg.org/hupmm5w2f/Capture.jpg

ReefCowboy
12/16/2016, 10:59 PM
I upgraded two old MP40s in two steps. I first upgraded the wetside because my old wetside broke down after many years of use. The wetside upgrade is pure durability if you already have a working wetside. I did my upgrade because mine broke!

Later that month, I decided to upgrade the driver too. That provides nose reduction and efficiency. . I have not upgraded the dry side but if I did, I would get some more flow options.

https://s29.postimg.org/hupmm5w2f/Capture.jpg

Excellent post, very informational. I also plan on uograding and got the answer i needed. Thanks

eder10986
12/17/2016, 05:11 AM
Excellent post, very informational. I also plan on uograding and got the answer i needed. Thanks

Yes. This is perfect. Thanks all for your responses and not making me google everything!