PDA

View Full Version : RODI arrived broken

swanny06
12/16/2016, 05:23 PM
So my RODI filter arrived broken. I just emailed the company to get a new cover sent to me. My question is, can I use this filter with the broken cover? Or should I wait for the new one to arrive? Thanks!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/388fc4dbe6b03394810beea16970dd09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sk8r
12/16/2016, 05:31 PM
IF you glued it back with something REAL strong it might hold against the pressure, but water pressure at my house is 80 psi, and that would probably blow it in a fine spray that would not be good outside a basement... I'd say hold off on your water changes until the new part arrives. It's not going to throw your water parameters that badly off to wait.

gone fishin
12/16/2016, 06:08 PM
I would just wait for the new one. Chances of making a mess seem pretty high.

swanny06
12/16/2016, 06:24 PM
IF you glued it back with something REAL strong it might hold against the pressure, but water pressure at my house is 80 psi, and that would probably blow it in a fine spray that would not be good outside a basement... I'd say hold off on your water changes until the new part arrives. It's not going to throw your water parameters that badly off to wait.

I would just wait for the new one. Chances of making a mess seem pretty high.

Alright thanks y'all, I'm just going to hold out for now. They've already shipped out the new cover so it shouldn't be too long. This is my first tank and I don't even have water in it yet. I've been taking pictures along the way so Imight start a build thread. I got the reef rock in today as well.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

gone fishin
12/16/2016, 06:36 PM
I understand the excitement of getting some water in it. Murphy always seems to raise his head.

scooters reef
12/16/2016, 07:03 PM
This may be a 100% useless response, but you have called it a "cover", which would imply being on top like your pictures. Most would call it the bottom of a canister. It doesn't fix the damage, but the use of the term "cover" just made me wonder :(

swanny06
12/16/2016, 07:16 PM
This may be a 100% useless response, but you have called it a "cover", which would imply being on top like your pictures. Most would call it the bottom of a canister. It doesn't fix the damage, but the use of the term "cover" just made me wonder :(
When I used "cover" it was because it "covers" the filter. Or at least that's how it appeared to me. If we wanted to get real technical we could call it a "housing" which is what it's actually called lol. I'll do my best to get the terminology right next time haha.

homer1475
12/16/2016, 07:18 PM
It's called a canister, technically. If you talk to anyone about RO/DI, they will also call it a canister.

scooters reef
12/16/2016, 07:21 PM
Sorry Swanny06, I wasn't trying to offend, just clarify. It's still obviously broken, but was worried you may be mounting it upside down even when fixed :)

swanny06
12/16/2016, 07:28 PM
Sorry Swanny06, I wasn't trying to offend, just clarify. It's still obviously broken, but was worried you may be mounting it upside down even when fixed :)
Haha It's all good. I put the "haha" in there to try and show it's all in good fun =) I appreciate the input. Seeing as I've never worked one of these before, mounting it upside down was completely possible lol.
It's called a canister, technically. If you talk to anyone about RO/DI, they will also call it a canister.
It appears it can be referred to as either, as the company that shipped it out to me was calling it a housing. However, I have no doubt that canister is more commonly used.

swanny06
12/16/2016, 07:29 PM
Haha It's all good. I put the "haha" in there to try and show it's all in good fun =) I appreciate the input. Seeing as I've never worked one of these before, mounting it upside down was completely possible lol.
It appears it can be referred to as either, as the company that shipped it out to me was calling it a housing. However, I have no doubt that canister is more commonly used.

Sk8r
12/17/2016, 01:43 PM
Suggest while you're waiting for water, that you read all the stickies in New to the Hobby and Reef Discussion, which will help you a lot.