PDA

View Full Version : Seaswirl 3/4, Mag 12 pump, can I use two returns?

JDM_SOHC
12/17/2016, 08:15 PM
So I have currently a Mag 7 and just a single return with a dual loc line connection into the tank, however I just landed a SeaSwirl 3/4" version for a steal and I'm also in possession of a Mag 12 pump.. I'm trying to think of the best way to configure this setup for my 55g reef tank, but not getting much help online..

I'm thinking I should probably run straight PVC off the Mag 12 into a manifold style setup and branch up to the SeaSwirl from there, but again I'm kinda clueless as I've never had a SeaSwirl before and not sure if I should just the Mag 12 by itself, Y or T it off into another return and run a dual return setup, etc.. I have about 3' of head loss so I think even if I T'd off the Mag 12 I'd still be getting about the same GPH as I am now with a Mag 7..

I'm taking all opinions and suggestions, thank you..

moondoggy4
12/17/2016, 11:03 PM
I think the Mag 12 will be too much, I had a Mag 7 on my 55 gallon tank, but if you will have a manifold I think a Mag 9 should be plenty. Some Mags you can just change the impeller I believe that the size 5 and 7 can be done.

I have a 1/2 Sea Swirl they can handle lots of flow, there is a popular all SPS tank that only has Sea Swirls but I cannot remember the guys name.