PDA

View Full Version : Kessil ocean blue for Red dragon breath

lsingh
12/18/2016, 08:33 AM
Quick question starting a small macro algae tank and have a kessil 150 ocean blue in hand ... will it grow all these fancy algae like dragon breath and others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
12/20/2016, 07:09 AM
I hope others will jump in here as I have very limited experience with macro algae. But I recently started a display refugium and used a much warmer white light than I've used before. Two of the four macro algae didn't seem to like the warmer white. One had turned brown and looked almost dead so I moved it to my 65g shallow reef which has cool white with lots of blue spectrum. In just a few days it looked MUCH better. But the other 2 red algae are doing great with the warmer white. BTW, I have 2 leathers and a gorgonian in the display refugium too, and they are doing great as well. All 3 really extending polyps better than ever in the reef tank with cool white spectrum.

Reeffarmer2
12/26/2016, 06:04 PM
I kept it alive with that exact light for few months. It grew for a while and then melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefra
01/01/2017, 04:17 PM
If the Kessil 150 is adequate for your tank size, it will grow Dragon's Breath nicely. You should know that all red macroalgae are fairly sensitive to sudden changes in light and should be light acclimated like corals. They also begin to lose coloring at the tips if there's insufficient N/P/K/I, and prolonged low nutrient levels will cause the to die/"melt."

Michael Hoaster
01/02/2017, 09:49 AM
I agree with jefra. Adequate light is not usually the problem, when macros fail. It's most often a nutrient limitation.

Sidwayz
01/25/2017, 02:22 PM
Growing dragons Breath for about 3mo. now as the sole algae in my fuge. I have the Eshopps refugium LED light on 24hrs. and it has exploded in size. It seems to filter pretty well as I have really no algae in the tank to speak of except the pesky coralline on the glass and equipment. No water changes just auto top off with RO, 7" sock, skimmer and the Dragons Breath. Very established tank though so live rock could be acting as a filter as well. All Softies right now no hard corals.

mzkrista
01/30/2017, 10:08 PM
Along with the other suggestions dragons breath tends to like when it's tumbled or has a stronger flow

mzkrista
01/30/2017, 10:11 PM
I like to use my heavily stocked 125 water change water to feed my macro tank. It's those extra nutrients macro likes and needs