PDA

View Full Version : Recommended return pump for 150g cube

Olathereefer
12/18/2016, 04:03 PM
I am wanting to get some opinions on recommended return pumps for a 150g cube. I was looking at the Echotech Vectra M1 but not sure if that much flow is needed or if there was a better option. What would you recommend as far as flow rate and pump choice?

I did plan on adding the Maxspect Gyre XF130 to help with flow. The tank will be a mixed reef but not a lot of sps.

Olathereefer
12/18/2016, 04:21 PM
I do not need it to be Apex ready.

eder10986
12/18/2016, 04:51 PM
We have a jebao dct 12000 and it rocks. Bought two off eBay for $120 each. Have one for backup. Used on apex but tuned with its own controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moondoggy4
12/18/2016, 05:01 PM
Fluval SP4 sub 200 bucks.

RobZilla04
12/19/2016, 12:40 PM
Just put this Jebao DCS-9000 on my 90g. Straight plumbed with the only elbow being at the top of the return where it splits to a Y outlet. Currently have it set on the lowest setting with a ball valve partially closed to increase pressure.

Although it's an older model, the only difference is the controller on the new version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9GGIMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ca1ore
12/19/2016, 12:47 PM
Vectra or fluval would be at the top if my short list, though you didn't specify internal or external pumps. I'm done with Jebao; wouldn't recommend them.

RobZilla04
12/19/2016, 12:58 PM
Vectra or fluval would be at the top if my short list, though you didn't specify internal or external pumps. I'm done with Jebao; wouldn't recommend them.

People seem to love them, and others hate them. I don't have long enough personal experience to comment on the life span of the pumps or wavemakers. I can attest to the power and results they have while they are working, and it's all positive.

ca1ore
12/19/2016, 01:03 PM
People seem to love them, and others hate them. I don't have long enough personal experience to comment on the life span of the pumps or wavemakers. I can attest to the power and results they have while they are working, and it's all positive.

We all make our own choices. All my Jebao pumps have ended up failing within 3 years which consigns them to the 'crap' heap for me. I'll no longer use them (too much $$ tied up in livestock to risk), and if asked will not recommend them. Loving or hating their stuff has really very little to do with it - I simply don't trust it.

scooter31707
12/19/2016, 01:14 PM
Simplicity has some good return pumps. I like the fact that you can adjust the flow as necessary and won't break the bank neither.

soulpatch
12/19/2016, 01:45 PM
fluval SP6 on my 150 gallon. I run a manifold off of it as well so wanted the spare bandwidth...

I agree somewhat with Calorie. I have Jabeo stuff on my tank but none of it is mission critical. Additional flow to suppliment my WAVs, fuge powerhead, and pump for my skimmer. All can fail without impact to my tank for the few days it would take me to replace.

Olathereefer
12/19/2016, 07:06 PM
I forgot to mention that it will be an internal pump.

soulpatch
12/19/2016, 07:12 PM
The fluval are internal or external

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

jevolk
12/19/2016, 07:15 PM
I like my lifeguard Quiet one 6000 Have it on a 180.

Fredfish
12/20/2016, 01:08 AM

I agree somewhat with Calorie...
Snicker. It being so close to Christmas I suppose that's a somewhat appropriate name change. :D

If the M1 gives you more flow than you want, you can always turn it down. DC is nice that way.

rlhanks
12/23/2016, 07:37 PM
I have a Deep Water BLDC7 on my 150 and it works as it was described. It has a very nice controller that I can adjust speed at will, simple to feed the tank if needed. The DC pump is quiet and efficient running on half the wattage my PanWorld did. But my critical mistake was getting one way too small, looking at wattage over gallons per hour. You see, I cannot turn it up more than it's limit. If I would have bought the larger 10 or 12 than I could have turned them down to the level I needed. For the BLDC7 dependability I cannot answer that yet because it's only been a little over a year. Now the PanWorld I can speak for. It was plugged in once and ran for three years when I replaced it with this one. And that was bought from a Craigslist reefer who had it running for a few years. I'm in the process of upgrading to a SGA Starfire 150 and this one will be plumbed with the shortest amount of pipe, the largest diameter with NO 90's.

Olathereefer
12/24/2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the info on the pumps! I am still debating the options.

In the meantime is there anyone that feels that the Echotech Ventra M1 along with the Maxsoect Gyre XF130 would not be enough flow for the 150g cube? Never had a cube before so trying to determine if those items will even produce enough flow for this cube. Just don't want to over do the Maxspect and find it pushing water over the side of the tank but I like the idea if hanging one vertical in the tank.

eder10986
12/24/2016, 12:52 PM
I love our jebao DCT 12000. Great pump. And silent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breadman03
12/24/2016, 12:56 PM
I love my RD3-230, but it's pumping from my basement. The 80 watt version would be a solid choice for an under tank setup.

kegogut
12/24/2016, 01:06 PM
We all make our own choices. All my Jebao pumps have ended up failing within 3 years which consigns them to the 'crap' heap for me. I'll no longer use them (too much $$ tied up in livestock to risk), and if asked will not recommend them. Loving or hating their stuff has really very little to do with it - I simply don't trust it.

This. Ive gotta box of dead jebao wavmakers as well as the DC12000. I replaced it with a vectra L1 and never looked back. It's the smoothest return pump Ive ever owned.

Olathereefer
12/25/2016, 10:56 AM
I picked up the new tank yesterday and realized the tank cutouts were not as big as I thought which is going to limit the draining and flow more then I thought. There are two holes cut in the bottom of the tank and it came with a 1" return pipe and a Durso pipe that is 1.5" reduced to 1" at the bulkhead.
My last tank had two drains that were 2" each so I never had to worry about draining keeping up with the return pump but with the new tank only have the one Durso I am a little more concerned with getting the correct sized return pump so I don't overfill the display tank onto the flow. I'm guessing the Ecotech Vectra and Fluval Sp6 may be too much pump even turned down.

ericarenee
12/25/2016, 11:18 AM
I picked up the new tank yesterday and realized the tank cutouts were not as big as I thought which is going to limit the draining and flow more then I thought. There are two holes cut in the bottom of the tank and it came with a 1" return pipe and a Durso pipe that is 1.5" reduced to 1" at the bulkhead.
My last tank had two drains that were 2" each so I never had to worry about draining keeping up with the return pump but with the new tank only have the one Durso I am a little more concerned with getting the correct sized return pump so I don't overfill the display tank onto the flow. I'm guessing the Ecotech Vectra and Fluval Sp6 may be too much pump even turned down.

There is no reason why you cant use both of those for drains and run a return over the top for the Return.. Safer in my opinion.. Guess it depends on your stand and its location as to rather it will look bad or not ..

kegogut
12/25/2016, 01:46 PM
You plan on running any reactors at all? Get the vectra and you can run a manifold as well. You can turn it down to 10 % if you'd like,either way you'll be happy you got it.

Olathereefer
12/25/2016, 03:00 PM
I like the idea of two drain pipes in the overflow and running the return line up the back of the tank but unfortunately I just tried and I would not be able to fit both of the 1.5" drains in the overflow box. The Durso that came with the tank is 1.5" pvc reduced to 1" at the bulkhead. I may be able to fit in a second drain if it's only 1" the entire way but I believe that may not drain much which is why it came with the 1.5" reduced to 1".

Potatohead
12/25/2016, 05:14 PM
I like the idea of two drain pipes in the overflow and running the return line up the back of the tank but unfortunately I just tried and I would not be able to fit both of the 1.5" drains in the overflow box. The Durso that came with the tank is 1.5" pvc reduced to 1" at the bulkhead. I may be able to fit in a second drain if it's only 1" the entire way but I believe that may not drain much which is why it came with the 1.5" reduced to 1".

Ditch the durso. A single 1" drain run with a siphon (Herbie or Bean drain) flows about 1500 gph which is tons. Use the other drain as your emergency and run the return over the back.

If you want an AC pump I would use a Tunze 1073.04, an Eheim 1262 or a Sicce 4.0. DC I would probably go with Ecotech.

ericarenee
12/25/2016, 05:52 PM

Take the dorso stand pipe out and plumb in a u shape pipe just two elbows turned down.. then under the tank put a nice gate valve on it the 1 inch drain turn it with one elbow not down slightly higher then the turned down elbow. The higher one will be a emergency .
you can actually use the 1 inch as the main drain siphon with the gate valve and the 1 1/2 as the emergency.
when you adjust it while tank is running you will adjust the gate valve so water only trickled thru the higher up drain..
This will allow much more water to leave the tank as its pulled thru not just flowing down as it will have NO AIR..

I am sure there is room for this back there ..

origreefer
12/26/2016, 07:51 PM
Stay away from Jaebos. Go with the vectra. Got a vectra in main tank and thought I'd cheap out and get a Jaebo for second tank. Supposedly similar output but not even close. I have Jaebo dialed out to max and it's not moving as much water at Vectra on 4.

d-man
12/27/2016, 09:57 AM
Fluval sp6 for AC pump
Or Vectra for Dc pump

gus6464
12/28/2016, 09:51 AM
Fluval. Those askoll motors on them are awesome. I have an sp4 with sump in garage pushing water 8ft up and 8ft across with a manifold and I still had to dial the pump way down. It's also as quiet as every dc pump I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktownhero
12/28/2016, 10:02 AM
I'm a big fan of the tried and true Eheim pumps, but I have heard good things about Fluvals as well. I read good things about Sicce pumps but I had some bad experiences with them being loud and I don't get the point of choosing one of them over Eheim. We all know if you buy an Eheim pump you'll be good for at least a decade lol.

If I were to go DC, I'd pick up the Reef Octopus VarioS-6. Costs less than a Vectra, but includes 3rd party controller functionality, is just as silent, has great output, and even includes an optional safety float-valve. They seem to be the best balance between value and reliability in a DC pump currently.

wildman926
12/28/2016, 10:43 AM
Laguna Maxflo. Someone showed their impeller after 6 years of constant use, no cleaning, and it looked like it was still new.

gus6464
12/28/2016, 01:22 PM
Laguna Maxflo. Someone showed their impeller after 6 years of constant use, no cleaning, and it looked like it was still new.

Are those the ones that look like a disc? How would one install those in a sump?

ericarenee
12/28/2016, 04:10 PM
Are those the ones that look like a disc? How would one install those in a sump?

That disk is just a shell to filter out big stuff. the pump is inside of it .. :bounce3:

Breadman03
12/29/2016, 12:14 PM

Was that AcroAl? He just made a FB post about it a couple days ago.

wildman926
12/29/2016, 12:55 PM
Was that AcroAl? He just made a FB post about it a couple days ago.

Why yes it was. I was very impressed seeing that picture of that impeller.

BTW, he has amazing success with his clam farm. I only wish he could sell outside of Australia.

Breadman03
12/29/2016, 02:05 PM
I only wish he could sell outside of Australia.

Agreed. :(

But he is paving the way for others to do it here :)

Olathereefer
01/01/2017, 10:20 PM
I thought I had the return pump pick narrowed down the the Reef Octopus Various pump but then I read some negative reviews today complaining of cracks in the plastic housing causing leaks. Anyone here seen that issue?