PDA

View Full Version : questions about qt

Isaac85
12/18/2016, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone im slowly putting fish in my tank and before i do i do the TT thing then i QT for about a week and treat 1 or 2 times with the paraguard... been having good luck. my question is when i bought some coral i dipped some in reef dip but not all and then put in my display does that mean i exposed my tank to ich? also im currently doing the TT thingy with a manderin goby and been feeding him live brine shrimp from the LFS. does the brine shrimp water have ich? i feel like im taking all these precautions to prevent ich but i did it all wrong and was a waste of time? also the LFS talked me into buying the mandarin when i didnt have a fuge afterwords i felt that was a big mistake but i allready had the fish and set up a fuge that same day and put some pods in it but i donno if they breeding im so upset at myself but the LFS said they trained it to eat shrimp and that i didnt need to worry about it.

scooter31707
12/19/2016, 10:09 AM
Well good luck on the Mandarin. For as the corals go, yes there is a possibility that you can bring in ich or anything else from the corals. Some experts say just dip them and put them in the DT, but some say quarantine at least for 72 days. Myself, I quarantine for 72 days. I rather be safe than sorry. I do the same for inverts also.

gone fishin
12/19/2016, 10:16 AM
IMO it really depends on whether the coral vendor has the coral systems on a separate system than the fish and no fish are in the coral system. For me personally I consider ich on a coral frag very low risk. I am more concerned about coral specific problems coming in on them.

as far as the shrimp go it depends on the system the LFS has as well.

FWIW there are far more dangerous things than ich that can come in with our fish. Good luck just my 2 cents.

GimpyFin
12/19/2016, 10:32 AM
I agree with Tony. Ich from coral frags is low risk imo/ime. I'll dip them in a coral dip for other stuff, but not really worried about ich there. As for the mandarin, I'd personally skip qt on this particular fish. They are quite resilient (Especially to ich) because of their massive slime coat and you want them eating as soon as possible. If you don't have a good pod population, it's always a good idea to see a fish like this eat at the LFS first before taking him home as their natural behavior is to pick pods, etc. from the rocks throughout the day. Anyway, good luck.