PDA

View Full Version : Potential Move this summer

ReefinND
12/19/2016, 12:34 PM
So just kind of curious what everyone's opinions are on this. I'm on month two of my tank and have been slowly adding livestock. Up to two clowns, three corals, and some CuC. Also have 4 fish in different stages of quarantine.....

But, I have been toying around with the idea of building a house and while not a for sure deal yet....I figure it would be best to start planning now in the event that it may happen.

The plan would be to move my tank to my parents, who live just down the road from me. Where it would be set up until I can move it into the new house.

So I guess my question is, how stressful is it going to be on the livestock to move? I think I will for sure stop stocking fish for awhile but should I also stop stocking more corals? It would be nice to keep adding them so I can get a bit of growth....... assuming the move wouldn't be too hard on them.

I've been reading up on the process and all, and I think it's going to be pretty straightforward since its literally just a few minutes away.

Once the new home is livable, I would move the whole tank to the new house. (though the intent is to plan on having a "tank maintenance room" with a larger tank partially in the wall so it's only accessible from the tank room and only viewable from the outside. But that's all way down the road of course). I would have both up and running and slowly deconstruct my current tank.

Curious of your thoughts, thanks!

scooters reef
12/19/2016, 02:04 PM
Every move is different, and not talking about the tank or livestock. They are usually hectic though. If it were ME I wouldn't continue to add anything. No point spending money now, knowing there will likely be some losses. I'd concentrate on having extra salt mix, totes and buckets, and extra hands ready to move everything twice. No matter how well, or how quick, it's moved you will be causing disruption, stress, a possible new cycle. Why risk losing something you just added? The "?" is my thoughts, not a literal question to you :)

Sk8r
12/19/2016, 02:10 PM
My advice is stop adding. Major disturbance to a functioning tank [sandbed] can send it into mini-cycle, and fish are the more likely victims of that...they don't tolerate ammonia. The corals---likely to be disturbed by being repositioned; and to suffer from lack of timely water tests and correction. As the normal chaos of a build and move proceeds and your time to duck in and care for the tank is eaten up---I've been through 3 moves and a house purchase in 7 years---and I can tell you real joy is finding out there's a problem with the tank setup and then finding out the sump you bought wasn't on the truck and will be here in about 3 weeks. NOTHING happens smoothly in a move.

ReefinND
12/19/2016, 03:36 PM
Yea that's what I figured. :( But I figured it would be best to find out now before I get to much put into it.

On a different note, assuming I do indeed have to move it..... Would I have to use the same sand bed? I was considering just getting new sand or possibly even keeping it bare bottomed until move #2.

Sk8r
12/19/2016, 03:42 PM
Definitely get new sand (aragonite medium grain works well) for the new setup ---bare bottom would be the best plan unless you have sandsifter critters.

ReefinND
01/05/2017, 09:54 AM
Getting back to this, just another brainstorm idea.....as we are about to make the decision to do this or not.

Assuming I do indeed need to move and my tank is pretty low stocked. (I'm down to my two occ clowns, toadstool, a polyp colony, three birds nest frags, and my clean up crew. Had weather/power outages/quarantine tank heater failure....)

Could I just use my 20 gal quarantine tank as the "holding tank"...that is, set it up with the sump and all the equipment I have on my 90 (minus the lights) and keep this running until I get the new tank all set up in the new house.

It would sure be a lot less of a stressful move, plus wouldn't be as intrusive to my parents house than having a 90 going. Plus it would be easier to keep ro water on hand.

I guess one concern would be what to do with all the live rock, since I could only fit a fraction of it in the 20 gal...... Could I just keep that stacked in a big covered garbage bin with a heater and a powerhead?

With the current house plan I'm looking at, I'm designating an area solely for a tank. Viewable only from the outside, and have an area just large enough to work behind the tank, behind the tank. There would then be a real "tank room" in the basement. The tank I'm planning on is 24H x 60L x 30W. The tank room is an absolute must for me, I despise this hauling 5 gal buckets around and trying to work under the tank.

Thanks for all the advice, it's very valued. This is all still up in the air, until soonish (all the paperwork, surveying, bank etc) but I want to have this planned out in advance.

RobZilla04
01/05/2017, 10:15 AM
Yes you can store the remaining live rock in a food safe tub with a heater and power head. Use the same water taken from the tank and no sand. Discard the old sand and start with fresh once you move everything into it's final tank.

IMO run the small tank bare bottom at your folks place and just get a small frag rack for the coral.

ReefinND
01/05/2017, 10:38 AM
Yes you can store the remaining live rock in a food safe tub with a heater and power head. Use the same water taken from the tank and no sand. Discard the old sand and start with fresh once you move everything into it's final tank.

IMO run the small tank bare bottom at your folks place and just get a small frag rack for the coral.

Another quick thing I remembered, I have treated copper in my quarantine tank. It's been empty for a couple weeks, if I gave it a several washings with vinegar; would that be sufficient to get it all removed I wonder...in addition to letting it sit dry for several months?

This all wouldn't be set up until probably May/June era.

I don't want to contaminate my main tank equipment with anything that may be in my quarantine tank....

ReefinND
01/05/2017, 10:49 AM
Actually probably better off just picking up another 20gal during the $/Gal sale. Just to be safe.

ReefinND
01/23/2017, 11:22 AM
Hey all, couple more questions regarding this topic.

So as I'm getting down to this, I'm going to consolidate my 90 down to a 20-30 (once I get one). Plan on putting a decent amount of my live rock in it, along with the two corals, 2 clowns, and the CuC.

Regarding keeping the rest of the live rock in a tub; how long can that stay in there? I would be looking at mid summer before I would have the new home, new tank etc.

I plan on using a 32 gal garbage barrel that I use for RO water, to store it in. Is it ok to stay in there for almost 6 months? Will I need to do water changes on it?

Another quick question, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use my current equipment; large skimmer, sump, etc. On the new temporary tank?

Thanks everyone!

ReefinND
01/23/2017, 12:20 PM
Or would I be better off letting it dry? Possibly seeding it with the few pieces I will be keeping in the temporary tank.