PDA

View Full Version : I messed up....

mkunk1
12/19/2016, 07:39 PM
So I drilled my tank for the Eshopps Eclipse overflow - mission successful. I was relieved I didn't break anything until I realized I messed up on the measurements and now the internal portion of the overflow overlaps the lip on the trim around the top.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this? I thought about getting a 1/2" thick piece of glass cut to silicone to the glass behind the box to make it sit flush with the trim. Would this work?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really appreciate it!

kaz1961
12/19/2016, 08:27 PM
I believe the lip is only there for the top to rest on. I had to cut part of the lip for my overflow on two of my tanks and had no problems.

mkunk1
12/19/2016, 08:55 PM
I believe the lip is only there for the top to rest on. I had to cut part of the lip for my overflow on two of my tanks and had no problems.

Oh awesome. What would be best to use to cut it? Sorry I'm not very handy!

EvenFurther
12/19/2016, 10:15 PM
Definitely cut and trim the overflow, not the tank trim. I just installed an acrylic internal box on my tank, and I had to trim the corner of the box near the tank trim, in order to set the weir for the correct water height. I used a bur grinder bit with a die grinder, since it was a small corner removal on each end. If I understand correctly, you need to make a cut lengthwise on the internal box. I would use a plastic cutting blade (approx. 80 tooth) on a table saw.

You could call a few plastic fabricators and ask how much for 2 simple cuts, or use a dremel and patience.

kaz1961
12/20/2016, 08:45 AM
If we are talking about just the lip (the 1/4 piece that holds the glass top in the frame) it is very thin and not structural at all. I used a razor blade and it easily sliced off.

teddyzaper
12/21/2016, 12:00 AM
i would trim the overflow box if possible. You can use a handsaw with patience, or some kind of table saw/circular saw. If you cut the rim off completely it will lose its structure (Think of it like a tension band all the way around the top glass, if you break part if it its not going to hold anything). If you just need to trim a little bit of it and can keep it mostly intact that would work as well.

This is why they tell you to put the template on the inside, and with the arrow facing up ;)