PDA

View Full Version : New Tank advise 180 Gallon

marcnc
12/20/2016, 09:35 AM
I am going to order a new tank from my LFS, no overflows, they are going to drill it for me, but I have a few questions.

The returns, I am going to have them drill in the back, one on each side? I have seen these Siphon Stopper online, bulk head with loc line, but had a device that helps stops siphon. I was thinking one of these on each side of the tank.

For the drain, I was going to have them drill it for a bean animal type drain, do you suggest I use something like Shadow overflow system, or see what the LFS can do for me?

Open to suggestions, I just need it to be silent since this is going next to my bedroom and want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

GimpyFin
12/20/2016, 10:22 AM
The siphon stopper nozzle would work as one option. If it's the same ones I've seen, they have air inlet prongs on the top to break the siphon. You can also just put your return nozzles right near the water line and that will act as your siphon break. The slimline overflows like the Eshopps eclipse and synergy reef are pretty cool. I know the big Eshopps one has 3 holes so you could do a bean animal setup.

thegrun
12/20/2016, 10:22 AM
I really like the ghost (shadow) overflow systems, it opens up a lot more room inside the tank and is better for water flow. The siphon stoppers are fine as long as you keep them clean, but I just drill holes in my returns to accomplish the same thing. I like to run over the top with the return lines, drilling holes with bulkheads simply offer one more place for a leak to occur. My favorite return system is using Sea Swirls, they are costly but offer you a random flow that you really can't get with stationary returns. I personally wouldn't set up a reef tank without them.

Elricsfate
12/20/2016, 10:39 AM
The Shadow is designed for Bean Animal style overflow, which is supposed to be silent.

Butch01
12/20/2016, 10:52 AM
I can't find a good schematic of how the ghost overflow system works. Anyone got one or point me to one??

marcnc
12/20/2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the advise so far. I am not sold on those stoppers yet to be honest.

What do you guys think about the Exotic Marine overflow boxes, they look nice form what I can tell

Elricsfate
12/20/2016, 11:46 AM
I can't find a good schematic of how the ghost overflow system works. Anyone got one or point me to one??

Go to Synergy Reef's site, click on The Shadow, and scroll down.

marcnc
12/20/2016, 12:12 PM
So I am looking at the 20″ Synergy Reef Overflow, do you think that one would be a good fit for the 180?

Elricsfate
12/20/2016, 12:55 PM
So I am looking at the 20″ Synergy Reef Overflow, do you think that one would be a good fit for the 180?

That is precisely the overflow I purchased for my 180. I am still in the process of plumbing the tank, and waiting on my sump to be delivered, but that's the overflow I chose.

Some folks recommend "coast to coast" overflows. I think that, like a lot of things, it's a personal choice.

RedStangGA
12/20/2016, 01:12 PM
That is precisely the overflow I purchased for my 180. I am still in the process of plumbing the tank, and waiting on my sump to be delivered, but that's the overflow I chose.

Some folks recommend "coast to coast" overflows. I think that, like a lot of things, it's a personal choice.

I went with a similar 22" overflow on my 220. More than large enough to handle the flow I'll be asking for from the return, so I agree that the 20" is large enough.

To the OP:
Like others I'd recommend going over the top on the returns unless it's a rimless tank and it would bother you aesthetically. The top of my tank is dead even with my eye level, and I'm still going over the top. One less thing to worry about.

I'll be drilling two small holes in each return line to act as the siphon break.

Most of the ghost style overflows out there support the BA setup. Wouldn't buy one if it didn't. I bought mine from modular marine. Seems extremely well made and takes up practically no space in my tank. I might even get it wet next month lol!

homer1475
12/20/2016, 01:13 PM
For a siphon break just use loc-line with a Y adapter on each side. Point one nozzle wherever(I point mine down for flow in those dead corner spots), and the other near the top for surface agitation, and siphon break.

marcnc
12/20/2016, 02:26 PM
I went with a similar 22" overflow on my 220. More than large enough to handle the flow I'll be asking for from the return, so I agree that the 20" is large enough.

To the OP:
Like others I'd recommend going over the top on the returns unless it's a rimless tank and it would bother you aesthetically. The top of my tank is dead even with my eye level, and I'm still going over the top. One less thing to worry about.

I'll be drilling two small holes in each return line to act as the siphon break.

Most of the ghost style overflows out there support the BA setup. Wouldn't buy one if it didn't. I bought mine from modular marine. Seems extremely well made and takes up practically no space in my tank. I might even get it wet next month lol!

Thanks for the info. In regards to the over the top returns, what do you suggest, do most just make them with PVC elbows, with loc line into the tank?

RedStangGA
12/20/2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info. In regards to the over the top returns, what do you suggest, do most just make them with PVC elbows, with loc line into the tank?

Yes, although this time I have some space behind my tank so I'm hoping to run the pipe along the wall and use a pre-curved pvc pipe or flexible PVC to eliminate any 90's.

rjjr1963
12/20/2016, 06:46 PM

I have the 16" Synergy on my 180.