PDA

View Full Version : Smells like a pet store

ReefinND
12/21/2016, 10:20 AM
So my house is starting to smell like ..... a pet store..... It doesn't reek like it did when the dry rock was curing but it is still rather ..off.

Is there anything I should be doing to help with it or ? When I did my tests on Monday, everything seemed to be in decent ranges. I'm still hacking away at my nitrates, which are in the 5-10 range but other than that everything seems good.

I am running a carbon reactor, but now that I'm asking this I realized that the carbon in there is probably over a month old.

Could that possibly be the cause? I guess I'll find out tonight when I change it, but anything else I should look for?

teddyzaper
12/21/2016, 11:01 AM
Carbon will certainly help reduce smell. How old is your tank? As it cycles it may put off a smell. Check to see if it's your skimmer cup, my stand doesn't have a skin to it so my skimmer is out in the open and it smells terrible.

ericarenee
12/21/2016, 11:05 AM
You can also put carbon embedded filters in your hvac system..

sde1500
12/21/2016, 11:14 AM
Glade plugins. Carbon should help too, or cleaning the skimmer more often maybe. Idk my tank usually doesn't smell all too much, though the wife notices it occasionally.

Spiffy
12/21/2016, 12:17 PM
Dehumidifier maybe?

ReefinND
12/21/2016, 12:34 PM
Carbon will certainly help reduce smell. How old is your tank? As it cycles it may put off a smell. Check to see if it's your skimmer cup, my stand doesn't have a skin to it so my skimmer is out in the open and it smells terrible.

It's a little over two months. I'll empty the skimmer out too, there's a little in there but not a whole lot.

Cliving1
12/21/2016, 01:16 PM
Did the skimmer ever overflow? Sometimes that can happen and its some nasty stuff. My tank doesn't smell bad either, not exactly sure the culprit. Plugins like mentioned above might help

ReefinND
12/21/2016, 01:46 PM
Glade plugins. I'll have to pick some up, I know when I fire up a wax burner thing it covers it completely. It's just that first walk into the house when you get home after work. Plus I have company coming for the holidays so I'd like to get it covered lol.

Dehumidifier maybe? I'll have to check the humidity in the house to make sure, but I think its very dry in the house. I have to fill my 5gal ATO bucket at least every four days and I run a humidifier in the bedroom at night.

Did the skimmer ever overflow? Sometimes that can happen and its some nasty stuff.
Not that I know of, I don't really let it get more than a 1/4 full and it has a cover.

It's just started within the last two days, I haven't smelt anything all this while (after the rock was done curing anyway, that was terrible.)