PDA

View Full Version : Another 'Back to Halides' thread...

Greybeard
12/21/2016, 10:22 AM
After a 10 year hiatus, I got back into reefing a year and a half ago, with a 60g cube. Went all 'high tech'... dosing pump with BRS 2part, Aquaticlife Halo LED... Eshopps RS100 3rd gen sump/ref with it's fancy water channel design... All this fancy stuff just isn't working for me. Slow growth rates being the primary issue.

I've been fighting calc/alk bouncing all over the place and low pH since I set the system up. Pulled the dosing pump and 2part and switched back to Kalk from my ATO, everything is solid again. Pulled the fancy sump/ref, and put in a plain Jane sump that I can actually clean once in a while. Back to simple, old school, and things are getting better.

I'm about done with my Halo. This tank is open top (I do have a screen over it), and going to stay that way, I don't want a canopy. With the room it's in, hanging a light from the ceiling would be a nightmare. I've looked at t5's, but I really just don't want a big slab of lighting over the tank.

Anybody have a Hamilton Bimini Sun reflector? How's it working out for you? How heavy is it? I'm thinking that I can come up with a way to mount the Bimini sun from the HALO mount I have, as long as it's not built like a brick.

I'm just tired of screwing with it, and I _KNOW_ that a 14k 250w DE halide will give me the growth rates I'm looking for. Yeah, it'll be higher electric usage, and yeah, I've gotta put in a new bulb every once in a while, but having used halides in the past, it's a known quantity.

On my old tank with halides, it was all enclosed. This was a much larger system, with 3x 400w halides, on old PFO magnetic ballasts. I had to run a chiller to keep the heat under control. I'm hoping that with this setup, open top, pendant hanging with air all around it, that the heat won't be so bad. Really don't have the room for a chiller, I'm hoping that a fan will do the trick. Anyone else have a 250w pendant over an open 60g cube? How's the heat issue?

Room shot, just to show why hanging a light would be a challenge...

http://www.midkiff.us/tank/Room.jpg

OllieNZ
12/21/2016, 10:46 AM
In regards to the hanging kit, have you seen the ADA Solar Arm stand? It's designed to support a hanging halide pendant.

reefwiser
12/21/2016, 06:36 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/1c5d4e613854c37a2342c479135e6148.jpg

I hear you I did the same thing tried Kessils and Ecotech radions. Just no the growth I knew was possible. I use a reeftech Mh/led fixture. They come with a good electronic ballast. The ballast uses less electric the the radion it replaced.
It has made the difference in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arthur1
12/21/2016, 11:11 PM
Thankfully, my beard is not grey yet...I have set up plenty of LED aquariums and in all honesty will always prefer metal halide myself. Something I will not say more about at this moment. I had a 250 watt single end going on a smaller cube aquarium for some time and it was 10 inches off of the water with no issues, but the biggest factor was just the ambient room temperature, a fan will help as you mentioned. I am not a fan of such narrow reflectors and would recommend a wider one for a better light spread, since it will be a single source/point. You could always get a pipe bender an make a nice bracket to hold a bigger reflector up, though I do understand that aesthetics apply. Any way you choose to go, good luck and enjoy!

Greybeard
12/22/2016, 03:01 PM
Nice looking cube, Reefwiser :)

I'm about decided on the Bimini Sun reflector, certainly on the 250w DE 14k bulb and electronic ballast. If I don't end up liking the reflector, well, I can always swap out the reflector. I just don't like the look of the Cayman Sun reflector.

With all the advances in technology since my last reef, it's odd that halide reflector choices are not any better than they were a decade ago. I suppose they're considered old fashioned these days.

Thanks for the input... still looking for someone who has, or had, a Bimini sun reflector...

Zacktosterone
12/22/2016, 05:51 PM
After a 10 year hiatus, I got back into reefing a year and a half ago, with a 60g cube. Went all 'high tech'... dosing pump with BRS 2part, Aquaticlife Halo LED... Eshopps RS100 3rd gen sump/ref with it's fancy water channel design... All this fancy stuff just isn't working for me. Slow growth rates being the primary issue.

I've been fighting calc/alk bouncing all over the place and low pH since I set the system up. Pulled the dosing pump and 2part and switched back to Kalk from my ATO, everything is solid again. Pulled the fancy sump/ref, and put in a plain Jane sump that I can actually clean once in a while. Back to simple, old school, and things are getting better.

I'm about done with my Halo. This tank is open top (I do have a screen over it), and going to stay that way, I don't want a canopy. With the room it's in, hanging a light from the ceiling would be a nightmare. I've looked at t5's, but I really just don't want a big slab of lighting over the tank.

Anybody have a Hamilton Bimini Sun reflector? How's it working out for you? How heavy is it? I'm thinking that I can come up with a way to mount the Bimini sun from the HALO mount I have, as long as it's not built like a brick.

I'm just tired of screwing with it, and I _KNOW_ that a 14k 250w DE halide will give me the growth rates I'm looking for. Yeah, it'll be higher electric usage, and yeah, I've gotta put in a new bulb every once in a while, but having used halides in the past, it's a known quantity.

On my old tank with halides, it was all enclosed. This was a much larger system, with 3x 400w halides, on old PFO magnetic ballasts. I had to run a chiller to keep the heat under control. I'm hoping that with this setup, open top, pendant hanging with air all around it, that the heat won't be so bad. Really don't have the room for a chiller, I'm hoping that a fan will do the trick. Anyone else have a 250w pendant over an open 60g cube? How's the heat issue?

i have a bimini, bought it from dave at hamilton aquatics. awesome light fixture. not heavy enough for it to be an issue. your 60 gallon cube is going to be over lit with just one. perfect fit for that tank.

click this link https://youtu.be/HKnZq0-0ghY?t=14m43s

here is the info you need. the only difference is that i would run an m80 ballast on it it would boost the bar and run any DE bulb to spec

Mike de Leon
12/22/2016, 05:55 PM
Given the size and beauty of that room it deserves a bigger tank! Lol

zsuman101
12/22/2016, 06:47 PM
looks like you got the dough and the place to go big, take a look at giesman halide fixtures, they are what you are looking for especially in that beautiful room

zsuman101
12/22/2016, 06:50 PM
i dont think your woman will accept anything else, good luck zsu

moondoggy4
12/22/2016, 09:27 PM
:thumbsup:looks like you got the dough and the place to go big, take a look at giesman halide fixtures, they are what you are looking for especially in that beautiful room

I agree a Spectra would look awesome but now are costly.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2615491 not sure if this would fit the bill.

Greybeard
12/23/2016, 09:13 AM
i have a bimini, bought it from dave at hamilton aquatics. awesome light fixture. not heavy enough for it to be an issue. your 60 gallon cube is going to be over lit with just one. perfect fit for that tank.

click this link https://youtu.be/HKnZq0-0ghY?t=14m43s

here is the info you need. the only difference is that i would run an m80 ballast on it it would boost the bar and run any DE bulb to spec

Can you estimate the weight for the reflector?

I'd seen the BRS video. BRS responded to my question on the weight of the Bimini Sun reflector, saying it weighs 10 lbs. I don't buy that for a second... may be shipping weight, if it's packed really well.

I'm definitely running an electronic ballast, either the Hamilton, or LuxCore, not sure which yet.

Greybeard
12/23/2016, 09:23 AM
To the several 'bigger tank' posts... uh... no, thanks.

Been there, done that... never again. I very carefully selected the size of this tank, I'm very happy with how it fits into the room, and I never again want to do a water change of more than 10 gallons. I tore down my last large reef many years ago, and memories of that system kept me out of the hobby for a decade. Nope. Not gonna happen.

I looked at the Giesemann 24" Infinity... it's nice... but is it SIX TIMES the cost of the Bimini Sun nice? Not to me, it's not. Sorry.

greaps
12/23/2016, 09:48 AM
Have to agree on costs. I came very close to buying one myself but could not find any reviews of the fixture other than the BRS video on Metal Halides. If you try it, please post some pictures or video's of what it looks like, I would love to see it.

Zacktosterone
12/23/2016, 09:52 AM
Can you estimate the weight for the reflector?

I'd seen the BRS video. BRS responded to my question on the weight of the Bimini Sun reflector, saying it weighs 10 lbs. I don't buy that for a second... may be shipping weight, if it's packed really well.

I'm definitely running an electronic ballast, either the Hamilton, or LuxCore, not sure which yet.

I'll get an absolute confirmation on the weight today.
Out of the two if your not going to go with the proper ballast it would go better with the selectawatt 250-400 luxcore.

I say proper ballast because if you talk to the engineers that build these bulbs they tell you they want you to use an m80. Reason being that the starting amperage is incorrect and over time they won't be able to fire the bulb due to the initional ignition not being powerful enough so the bulb will not fire and needs to be replaced. That being said, if you then take that same bulb that no longer fires on that ballast, it will fire on an m80.

I got this info from ushios general manager he's been in the buisiness for 30 years and his knowledge in lighting greatly exceeds the reef hobby. Most of the things he said went right over my head lol

I'll get you that weight today by the way

Zacktosterone
12/23/2016, 10:13 AM
To the several 'bigger tank' posts... uh... no, thanks.

Been there, done that... never again. I very carefully selected the size of this tank, I'm very happy with how it fits into the room, and I never again want to do a water change of more than 10 gallons. I tore down my last large reef many years ago, and memories of that system kept me out of the hobby for a decade. Nope. Not gonna happen.

I looked at the Giesemann 24" Infinity... it's nice... but is it SIX TIMES the cost of the Bimini Sun nice? Not to me, it's not. Sorry.

I have to agree. I just tore down my big reef. Huge headache. I almost quit the hobby

I was going to buy the giesemann but

The light spill is ridiculous
The bimini comes with a light spill blocker
The support sucks with the giesemann and Dave at Hamilton is a rockstar with customers services
The giesemann is unreasonably expensive,
The giesemann just looks neat....
The bimini is SUPER underated.

Now before I get shot at I have to say a few things.
I've owed a tonne of light fixtures in this order

On my 90 gallon

T5s on my ok growth

2 Kessils only on my 90 terrible growth and bad shadowing, super nice HD look but strobe light shimmer

2 Kessils and 4 t5s , very good growth and color

After breaking down the 90
On my 200 gallon 65x30x24

4x80 watt t5 and 4x75 watt led ati powermodule Ok growth and color

4 Kessils only, terrible again, even with the spectral controller you could see a difference in spectrum and on/off times with the dials turn, and intensity difference when on matched settings

Hamilton cebu sun 3x250 watt halide 4x 80 watt t5. Halides running radium on m80 with 2 true actinics and 2 Hamilton 460nm blue bulbs

Super growth, super shimmer, very happy with the light

Moved and broke it down, purchased a 120

Ran 3 radion g3 pros, great colour poor growth compared to the halide.

Sold the 120 and tried the 200 again with the cebu. Just ran radiums again. Way too blue to my eyes growth was great still.

Got tired of the maintenance and issues . sold it
Went with the 3 bimini only :beachbum:on my 60x24x18. With my m80. Love the fixture but it's too soon to tell.

Breadman03
12/23/2016, 01:47 PM
Nice looking cube, Reefwiser :)

I'm about decided on the Bimini Sun reflector, certainly on the 250w DE 14k bulb and electronic ballast. If I don't end up liking the reflector, well, I can always swap out the reflector. I just don't like the look of the Cayman Sun reflector.

With all the advances in technology since my last reef, it's odd that halide reflector choices are not any better than they were a decade ago. I suppose they're considered old fashioned these days.

Thanks for the input... still looking for someone who has, or had, a Bimini sun reflector...

Well, halides aren't the current trend for one. Another is that there isn't exactly a whole lot to improve. If my Radions act up once, they're going to be evicted and my Hamilton will be going back up, heat or not!

reefwiser
12/23/2016, 03:16 PM
I could care less what is currently popular. Having keeping corals since 1985 I have seen a lot of what is popular get thrown in the trash. [emoji3]Mh always works. I went back to what works. As one of my club members says " I never worry about lighting being my problem running 20k MH. "

Greybeard
12/23/2016, 04:58 PM
I could care less what is currently popular. Having keeping corals since 1985 I have seen a lot of what is popular get thrown in the trash. [emoji3]Mh always works. I went back to what works. As one of my club members says " I never worry about lighting being my problem running 20k MH. "

Yup. That's why I'm going back, except that I prefer 14k bulbs.

Zacktosterone
12/23/2016, 05:03 PM

Very well put!! I run 10k myself lol

Breadman03
12/23/2016, 05:35 PM

Same here, though I am a sucker for cool gear. I just mean that because it isn't the latest buzz, there won't be as many new offerings. I'd be willing to bet that MH had tons of offerings being introduced when they became the hot ticket item.

reefwiser
12/23/2016, 10:56 PM
Yes 10 k 14 k and 20 k all work there is no doubt. Why people want to waist time with all the led offferings out there beats me. I tried them all for two years and wasted money and corals on them. If you read the posts on the forums you just see so much wasted money and corals it gets sicking really.

GoVols
12/23/2016, 11:16 PM

Welp, I guess you learned one thing after ten years.

Nothings gotten better except the many ways the industry has changed to take the consumer's money with sleek looking under preforming crap so you have to keep buying more sleek looking crap.

MH/T5 is still the GOLD standard in lighting!

epstein
12/24/2016, 10:05 AM
Although this is not your cup of tea I am in the process of building a floating canopy using an articulating tv stand . Why do I mention this in your thread ? Because thinking outside the box will help here.
The pendant you will be using isnt heavy by any means therefore why not employ a goose neck? A simple black one mounted to the corner of your stand would work perfectly. Not The Glass I have seen these chip and crack the glass when manipulated Go to a Guitar Center or any other store that sells mics and you will be amazed. It will provide solid mounting that is both aesthetically pleasing and modular enough to move and adjust par. In addition dont let the fact that a raw aluminum hood is the only thing available . Flat grill paint works lovely.
Another viable option is the sliding roller brackets used for servers they are quite sturdy an an easy grab

epstein
12/24/2016, 10:07 AM
Oh yea .... Welcome back..... hehe ... soem of us Never left...

Zacktosterone
12/24/2016, 11:15 AM
I just took it down.... It's not even close to 10lbs it's more like 5. It's made of alluminum

Greybeard
12/24/2016, 02:09 PM
I just took it down.... It's not even close to 10lbs it's more like 5. It's made of alluminum

Thanks. That's about what I'd figure... 4-5lbs would have been my guess.

Even at 5lbs, I'm not going to be using the glass mount.

I'm thinking of bending a piece of 3/4" conduit. Drill a 3/4" hole in the back/center of the shelf, so that the conduit goes inside the cabinet up against the back wall, a couple of conduit clamps screwed into the inside of the cabinet, i'd be nice and solid. Paint it all flat black, won't look too bad.

Thanks for the input, folks :)

Greybeard
12/24/2016, 02:21 PM

Nothings gotten better except the many ways the industry has changed to take the consumer's money with sleek looking under preforming crap so you have to keep buying more sleek looking crap.

Not true. Skimmer design has improved a great deal. You should have seen the gigantic, noisy PM Bullet Beckett injector skimmer I was using, with a huge external pump, didn't skim nearly as well as the SRO I'm using now. God forbid looking back 2 decades to the wooden airstone powered counter current skimmer I once had :)

DC powered pumps and wavemakers are _much_ better than what was available a decade back. Better test kits (the low range Hanna Phosphate tester, for one). We're not having to import pallets of southdown play sand from the east cost... talk about a nightmare.

Much has improved, and I have no doubt that in time someone will come up with an LED that performs as well as MH/T5... but I haven't seen it yet.

GoVols
12/24/2016, 05:16 PM
Not true. Skimmer design has improved a great deal. You should have seen the gigantic, noisy PM Bullet Beckett injector skimmer I was using, with a huge external pump, didn't skim nearly as well as the SRO I'm using now. God forbid looking back 2 decades to the wooden airstone powered counter current skimmer I once had :)

DC powered pumps and wavemakers are _much_ better than what was available a decade back. Better test kits (the low range Hanna Phosphate tester, for one). We're not having to import pallets of southdown play sand from the east cost... talk about a nightmare.

Much has improved, and I have no doubt that in time someone will come up with an LED that performs as well as MH/T5... but I haven't seen it yet.
I was agreeing with you over led lighting.

I've been reefing for over 30 years so I don't need any schooling over any equipment.

In 1999 I already had a pump driven Berlin skimmer and had moved on from any form of
air stone (wood chip) skimmer!

Geezzzzzzzzz -----"Lighten up, Francis"

Zacktosterone
12/25/2016, 08:25 AM
The glass mount is perfectly fine. Only reason I didn't use it is because my tank is too wide for it

shifty51008
12/25/2016, 09:32 AM
if you haven't already I would call Hamilton, they are very helpful and set you up with whatever your looking for

ReefCowboy
12/25/2016, 03:19 PM

LOL. MH's are great, we get it. Please dont generalize to all other equipment. Flow, return pumps were a joke compared to todays, and there are way more things to mention.
We cant argue that mailing a letter still gets the message through, but dont say emailing does not do it more efficiently

GoVols
12/25/2016, 04:06 PM
LOL. MH's are great, we get it. Please dont generalize to all other equipment. Flow, return pumps were a joke compared to todays, and there are way more things to mention.
We cant argue that mailing a letter still gets the message through, but dont say emailing does not do it more efficiently
Sorry... I was regarding lighting and nothing beats Kalk if can keep up with demand.

I apologize for that post that clearly reads like I has blanketing all new tech with one BIG Swipe.

My bad!!!!!

In no way would ANY of us want to go back to the early days, in over all equipment, tech and knowledge.

Hope u guys forgive me for that "Covers All" post!

ReefCowboy
12/25/2016, 04:15 PM
Sorry... I was regarding lighting and nothing beats Kalk if can keep up with demand.

I apologize for that post that clearly reads like I has blanketing all new tech with one BIG Swipe.

My bad!!!!!

In no way would ANY of us want to go back to the early days, in over all equipment, tech and knowledge.

No apologies needed, trust me many companies indeed are out there coming out constantly to get peoples $$ without anything to offer other than steal their trust. Ive been in those shoes many times!
Ive also always been a Mh guy and IMO they are indeed the Gold standard, like you said.
It took me long to risk it with leds, but gotta tell you, if it wasnt for the heat problems with the first ones, I would have stuck around with radium bulbs for years to come.

GoVols
12/25/2016, 04:39 PM
No apologies needed, trust me many companies indeed are out there coming out constantly to get peoples $$ without anything to offer other than steal their trust. Ive been in those shoes many times!
Ive also always been a Mh guy and IMO they are indeed the Gold standard, like you said.
It took me long to risk it with leds, but gotta tell you, if it wasnt for the heat problems with the first ones, I would have stuck around with radium bulbs for years to come.
Thanks, But an apology is fully appropriate especially to Greybeard!

I'm sorry Greybeard and I went WAY over board!

Yes! Greybeard, Led's can get it done, but there's "nothing wrong" with going back to plug and play MH/T5 and Kalk is still wonderful when used properly.

Regards, GoVols

GoVols
12/25/2016, 04:52 PM
Added the MaxSpect Gyre XF130 last spring and Love it.

Got lucky and bought the 2nd version with better blade design and reliability.

The little guy hasn't skipped a beat. (knock on wood)

Zacktosterone
12/25/2016, 05:24 PM

My bad!!!!!

I got what you were saying I think some people are being ridiculous and almost on purpose

morgank
12/25/2016, 06:07 PM
I have a Hamilton Cebu t5/halide combo on my rimless sixty cube, it stands in the rim with Theo units that came with it. Really nice light.

morgank
12/25/2016, 06:08 PM
I have a Hamilton Cebu t5/halide combo on my rimless sixty cube, it stands in the rim with Theo units that came with it. Really nice light.

nursedude
12/25/2016, 06:18 PM
Curious to see how this all works out for ya! Post updates when you have it installed, please.

Greybeard
12/27/2016, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry Greybeard and I went WAY over board!

:beer:

Greybeard
12/27/2016, 09:38 AM
I may try the Halo mount, it's fairly secure... if the reflector seems too heavy, I'll bend a bit of conduit. Either way, should be fine.

BRS sent me a satisfaction questionnaire after they answered my weight question with '10 lbs'... and they caught me in a bad mood. I'm afraid I kinda let 'em have it ;)

I'll be ordering the new light after the 1st. I'll post a pic :)

Zacktosterone
12/27/2016, 11:44 AM
I may try the Halo mount, it's fairly secure... if the reflector seems too heavy, I'll bend a bit of conduit. Either way, should be fine.

BRS sent me a satisfaction questionnaire after they answered my weight question with '10 lbs'... and they caught me in a bad mood. I'm afraid I kinda let 'em have it ;)

I'll be ordering the new light after the 1st. I'll post a pic :)

Before you order from bulk reef supply Why not give dave at Hamilton technology a call since it's his product. Dave is a rock star when it comes to customer service. Also you should be upset when someone gives you an incorrect answer about a product they sell. I would be annoyed big time. I would rather hear "I don't know" than a nonsense answer just to get rid of me

Greybeard
12/27/2016, 12:12 PM
I would rather hear "I don't know" than a nonsense answer just to get rid of me

That's exactly what I told them... :)

Greybeard
12/29/2016, 07:49 PM
Ok, if anyone is interested, without bulb, and trying to keep the weight of the cord off of the scale, Hamilton's Bimini pendant weighs 2.8lbs on my scale.

And, with a bit if ingenuity, it hangs from the mount intended for the Aquaticlife Halo very well :) Mount constructed of a bit of aluminum flat bar, a couple bits of aluminum tubing for standoffs, and a few M4 stainless cap screws, washers, and nuts. Total cost, about $3. I did alter the reflector slightly, by drilling 2 small holes in the top to attach the mount. Natural aluminum now, I may spray it flat black, eventually.

Man, that's a lot of light:lolspin:

http://www.midkiff.us/tank/NewLight.jpg

Zacktosterone
12/29/2016, 09:10 PM
ok, if anyone is interested, without bulb, and trying to keep the weight of the cord off of the scale, hamilton's bimini pendant weighs 2.8lbs on my scale.

And, with a bit if ingenuity, it hangs from the mount intended for the aquaticlife halo very well :) mount constructed of a bit of aluminum flat bar, a couple bits of aluminum tubing for standoffs, and a few m4 stainless cap screws, washers, and nuts. Total cost, about $3. I did alter the reflector slightly, by drilling 2 small holes in the top to attach the mount. Natural aluminum now, i may spray it flat black, eventually.

Man, that's a lot of light:lolspin:

http://www.midkiff.us/tank/newlight.jpg

wowie

moondoggy4
12/30/2016, 02:23 AM
I like the anti glare feature in that light.

Zacktosterone
12/30/2016, 11:26 AM
Why not post a full tank shot

Greybeard
12/30/2016, 11:45 AM
Why not post a full tank shot

Because I'm dealing with an unrelated problem at the moment, and my tank looks like crap :)

:facepalm:

Zacktosterone
12/30/2016, 11:46 AM
Because I'm dealing with an unrelated problem at the moment, and my tank looks like crap :)

Oh come on lol it's not a swim suit comp. When you get it under control let us know

GQuinn
12/30/2016, 11:50 AM
How do you like the color of the Hamilton 14k on your tank?

gus6464
12/30/2016, 12:48 PM
The Bimini is DE or does it come in a Mogul version too?

BOBBY
12/30/2016, 01:23 PM

Greybeard, are you using the/a magnetic ballast or electronic? I'm trying to figure out what Hamilton recommends for that particular bulb.

DE only for the Bimini.

Following this thread closely :cool:

Greybeard
12/30/2016, 01:24 PM
Oh come on lol it's not a swim suit comp. When you get it under control let us know

As an old greybearded fatman, and father of 4 daughters, swim suit competitions are far, far from my frame of reference ;) I believe I stuck my dirty mitts in there after working in my gun room without washing. Whatever it is, it's killed nearly all of my corals in just over a week, and that's with 2x 10% and 1x 30% water changes. Makes my stomach upset to talk about it right now.

How do you like the color of the Hamilton 14k on your tank?

Love it. A bit whiter than I had my Halo adjusted, but crisp and bright.

Nope. DE only. Honestly I much prefer DE bulbs. You _know_ that the light source is in the center of the bulb, and it's _always_ the same size, so you're much less likely to have problems centering the light source in the reflector. Also, with the ceramic ends, it's easy to replace bulbs without getting finger oils all over them, and the reflectors are typically more compact. I had 3x 400w Mogul base halides at one point, and I've always preferred the DE package.

Greybeard
12/30/2016, 01:34 PM
Greybeard, are you using the/a magnetic ballast or electronic? I'm trying to figure out what Hamilton recommends for that particular bulb.

250w Hamilton adjustable electronic.

If you price this unit at Hamilton, you've got your choice of this ballast, or their HQI magnetic M80. I don't have the room, and don't want to deal with the heat (or humm) of a magnetic ballast, and since Hamilton offers this ballast with this reflector and bulb as a package on their website, I figured it'd be OK.

Yes, I know, you're _supposed_ to use an M80 HQI ballast for this bulb. Longer bulb life, faster startups, a bit more power to the bulb... yeah, that's all true. At the same time, in a marine aquaria environment, we're going to be replacing the bulb long before any shortened life from the wrong ballast is going to affect it, simply from color fade.

Anybody that's been around this hobby for a while is going to agree... with the price of bulbs these days, replacing one is much less of a problem. I can remember spending over $100 each for the Ushio 10K 400w bulbs I used at one time.:eek2:

BOBBY
12/30/2016, 01:47 PM
250w Hamilton adjustable electronic.

If you price this unit at Hamilton, you've got your choice of this ballast, or their HQI magnetic M80. I don't have the room, and don't want to deal with the heat (or humm) of a magnetic ballast, and since Hamilton offers this ballast with this reflector and bulb as a package on their website, I figured it'd be OK.

Yes, I know, you're _supposed_ to use an M80 HQI ballast for this bulb. Longer bulb life, faster startups, a bit more power to the bulb... yeah, that's all true. At the same time, in a marine aquaria environment, we're going to be replacing the bulb long before any shortened life from the wrong ballast is going to affect it, simply from color fade.

Anybody that's been around this hobby for a while is going to agree... with the price of bulbs these days, replacing one is much less of a problem. I can remember spending over $100 each for the Ushio 10K 400w bulbs I used at one time.:eek2:

Thanks for the reply! I've read a ton on the M80 ballasts, and that they are typically the most ideal for the majority of bulbs, but like you, I think an electronic ballast would best for me.

I know we're in the middle of winter right now, so it's probably not a huge factor, but any concerns about heat?

Greybeard
12/30/2016, 03:06 PM
...any concerns about heat?

Concerns? Sure. Last system I had running halides, I had to buy a chiller.

That system was in-wall, fully enclosed (excepting the front and back glass), and was running 3x 400w halides.

This is a single 250w, hanging over an open top tank, in an open room, with a high ceiling, in a home that is _always_ climate controlled... I expect that this is going to add some heat. How much? Don't know yet. Right now, the cabinet where the sump and pumps are is sealed. The pump keeps it fairly warm down there. My first move, and I'm expecting I'll need it, is going to be to add an exhaust fan to the cabinet. After that, if it's still a problem, I'll put a fan on the tank itself, likely one of those Aquawind things that blows right over the surface.

The fans wouldn't be a big deal. Since I rely on Kalkwasser, a fairly high evaporation rate isn't necessarily a bad thing.

And if neither of those are good enough? Well, the Iceprobe, or a small chiller in the crawlspace under the house, which would severely suck to install. I sincerely hope it doesn't get to that point. Ask me again in a few days :)

Greybeard
01/03/2017, 09:36 AM
Just a quick update on the heat issue, halide running noon to nine. Temp at noon, 80f. Temp at 9pm, 80f. With the open design, lots of airflow, light doesn't appear to be affecting water temperature at all.

Yeah!

Oh, and yes, it's cold outside, very dry in the house, and my furnace is set at 70f. Might it be more of an issue when it's hot and humid? Sure, but I'm at least confident that a fan will take care of it now.

Zacktosterone
01/03/2017, 09:40 AM
Yeah that's what I thought. Even though it said on the warnings to fan cool It it's meant to be air cooled. I talked to dave about it. Nice light, good price, lots of light, very effective

BOBBY
01/03/2017, 10:39 AM
Great news!