PDA

View Full Version : DI resin replacement rate

Elricsfate
12/21/2016, 09:37 AM
Hi all,

I have the Value Plus 4 stage to which I recently added the 150 gpd upgrade.

I have created less than 200 gallons of water (not sure of the exact amount) and my DI resin is completely depleted.

I am sure I'm doing something wrong, perhaps not flushing the membrane properly, or long enough... or something.

I am on well water. The TDS coming into the unit from my water supply is 14. TDS after filters/before DI resin is 3. I have the pressure set at 75-80 from an Aquatec 8800.

I need to figure out what's going on. I have a 180 and a 75. I can't drop $50 every two weeks on resin.

I also have a question with regard to changing the cartridge. I am assuming I need to shut off the water supply and unplug the Aquatec 8800 prior to loosening the screw-in plastic resin holder...or I will get water all over the floor, right?

RT_BRS
12/21/2016, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

I have the Value Plus 4 stage to which I recently added the 150 gpd upgrade.

I have created less than 200 gallons of water (not sure of the exact amount) and my DI resin is completely depleted.

I am sure I'm doing something wrong, perhaps not flushing the membrane properly, or long enough... or something.

I am on well water. The TDS coming into the unit from my water supply is 14. TDS after filters/before DI resin is 3. I have the pressure set at 75-80 from an Aquatec 8800.

I need to figure out what's going on. I have a 180 and a 75. I can't drop $50 every two weeks on resin.

I also have a question with regard to changing the cartridge. I am assuming I need to shut off the water supply and unplug the Aquatec 8800 prior to loosening the screw-in plastic resin holder...or I will get water all over the floor, right?

Ok, I see! Were you experiencing this issue prior to the install of the Dual Membrane kit? 14 TDS is extremely low from the tap, but generally speaking we don't recommend installing the dual membrane kit on a system running from tap water with TDS over 250-300. I would double check your tap water number and membrane output TDS just to play it safe.

Usually the issue when consuming resin too quickly comes down to CO2 dissolved in your tap water in the form of carbonic acid. I have a serious issue with CO2 in my tap water, and it results in my resin lasting only about 150 gallons out of a dual canister setup. Is there any chance you could send over a photo of how you have all the lines hooked up?

You will need to de-pressurize the system by turning off the water supply and the booster prior to removing the canisters to replace filters :)

Here's a handy vid that has some tips to conserve DI resin:
https://youtu.be/x6f07WzT2Ng

Elricsfate
12/21/2016, 10:51 AM
I have the inline TDS meter permanently connected to the water line before it enters the unit. It says 14. Consistently. And the dual TDS meter that comes installed from you guys on the unit reads 3, every time.Like I said though, we're on a well. So there really shouldn't be much in our water aside from sediment maybe.

As far as how I have it hooked up, I sat down with it and watched Ryan hook it up on Youtube, and did exactly what he did.

I honestly do not know if it was a problem before hooking up the 150 upgrade. I guess I could remove it and see if that resolves the problem. To be honest I really don't notice a difference in the fill rate on the container, going from 75gpd to 150gpd. I was mainly hoping to reduce the waste water ratio.

BTW, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. BRS has amazing customer service! I've spent several grand with you in the last couple of months and plan to continue to make all of my future purchases through you as well.

RT_BRS
12/21/2016, 11:17 AM
I have the inline TDS meter permanently connected to the water line before it enters the unit. It says 14. Consistently. And the dual TDS meter that comes installed from you guys on the unit reads 3, every time.Like I said though, we're on a well. So there really shouldn't be much in our water aside from sediment maybe.

As far as how I have it hooked up, I sat down with it and watched Ryan hook it up on Youtube, and did exactly what he did.

I honestly do not know if it was a problem before hooking up the 150 upgrade. I guess I could remove it and see if that resolves the problem. To be honest I really don't notice a difference in the fill rate on the container, going from 75gpd to 150gpd. I was mainly hoping to reduce the waste water ratio.

BTW, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. BRS has amazing customer service! I've spent several grand with you in the last couple of months and plan to continue to make all of my future purchases through you as well.

No problem, I'm happy to help! Is there any shot you can time how long it takes to fill a container of known volume? I.e. 1 gallon milk jug, 5 gallon bucket, etc.

Elricsfate
12/21/2016, 11:21 AM
No problem, I'm happy to help! Is there any shot you can time how long it takes to fill a container of known volume? I.e. 1 gallon milk jug, 5 gallon bucket, etc.

Sure. When I get home from work I'll do that and post a reply, along with a picture (if I can successfully upload one).

RT_BRS
12/21/2016, 11:49 AM
Sure. When I get home from work I'll do that and post a reply, along with a picture (if I can successfully upload one).

Ok, sounds great. If it's easier for you, you can also reach us by phone at 763.432.9691 :)

Elricsfate
12/22/2016, 05:22 AM
Didn't get a chance to do the water timing last night. I'll try to get to it shortly.

RT_BRS
12/22/2016, 05:37 PM
Didn't get a chance to do the water timing last night. I'll try to get to it shortly.

No worries! :)