PDA

View Full Version : What PAR Meter to Get

fraggin corals
12/21/2016, 02:30 PM
Wondering what meter I should purchase in order to dial in my Photon 32 v2.

Reef_Breeders
12/21/2016, 04:16 PM
Hi,

Apogee is generally pretty good, you can use the MQ-200, it has a separate sensor so you can use it in your tank.

reefwiser
12/21/2016, 05:13 PM
The new model 510 is the one to use
It has been designed to use under water and has the new sensor to better read LED http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/mq-510-full-spectrum-underwater-quantum-meter/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
12/22/2016, 07:11 AM
Almost any of them will do the job. Just how accurate do you need to be? You don't really know how much PAR your individual corals need anyway.

It's more about getting in the right range or ballpark. Besides, they are all very sensitive to depth and the angle of the sensor to the light source. Sure you can measure PAR down to single units, but move the sensor 0.01 degrees or 0.1 inch deeper in the display and the PAR value changes by 5, 10, 15 even 20 or more units.

fraggin corals
12/22/2016, 04:07 PM
Went with a Seneye based on quite a few recommendations. This way will have a general idea of what I am presently providing the coral and can do a comparable value on the new fixture.

surferarnie
01/04/2017, 08:36 PM
Picked up a seneye too. Gives good readings. Hard to beat for the price. Didnt pay for the upgrade.they want cash to unlock more functions with the par meter.i didnt see the need.satasfied with the stock out of the box functions.

Rodny23
01/06/2017, 08:22 PM
I have the seneye. They upgraded the PC software and the seneye to V2, now you can see the PUR % of your light under the PAR tab. Bulk Reef Supply compare the PAR meter with an Apogee and it was very close in the readings. You can see the video on youtube.