PDA

View Full Version : Reef inhabitants you can't keep in California?

ArtsyAxolotl
12/21/2016, 02:37 PM
I'm seriously looking into moving out to California in the spring, but during my research I found out it's illegal to keep Axolotls. Great. I have an axolotl, so I figure it's illegal to bring him into the state even though I purchased and kept him in a place where it -is- legal to own them, and have 0 intention of ever breeding him or releasing him into the wild.

Figuring out what to do about that is another matter entirely though. What I'm wondering is, if you can't keep Axolotls, are there any other aquatic animals you're not allowed to keep in Cali? Every time I search for laws on google, most of them are about the collection of aquatic life from the ocean, not about bringing a pre existing reef setup into the state.

Are there any notable things that I wouldn't be able to bring to California? I think I saw somewhere that Caulerpa is an issue but I can't seem to find anything else.

Zatoichi
12/22/2016, 12:21 AM
Just watched a documentary on what is happening to the Florida Everglades due to exotic invasive species. One thing I can tell you is we have a calerpa SP? Task force because that stuff will grow anywhere and is super invasive

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

ArtsyAxolotl
12/22/2016, 10:29 AM
ah, that would make sense then. Heck, caulerpa is fairly invasive in a reef tank too lol. I just wanna be sure I'm not going to get nailed for keeping something I didn't know was illegal.

djbon
12/24/2016, 05:14 PM
In my state, caulerpa especially the grape type is a delicacy. Just squeeze some lemon or lime on it and waalla.

earwicker7
12/26/2016, 06:31 PM
I used to live in California. They are the most stringent state in the country with regard to emissions standards. I still managed to drive a blatantly street illegal car for three years... it was modified to the point that it was technically a race car, and smelled like raw gasoline from twenty feet away.

Never had a problem.

Unless you move next door to an extremely uptight conservation officer, you're fine.

NeverlosT
12/31/2016, 10:40 AM
yeah, you should be fine. Even the caulerpa thing is on the honor system. There will certainly be no one coming to your house to seize your Axolotls. Just dont paint a massive sign on your car that says "I have Axolotls and they are illegal!" and you are good to go.

Welcome to Kommiefornia! Where no one is smart enough to run their own lives, so we ask the state to do it for us! grumble grumble grumble

JZinCO
01/01/2017, 02:31 PM
Is caulerpa even illegal to keep? Just thought regulations covered the sale of it. Btw not all caulerpa species are covered. Just the faster and more tolerant like c. Taxifolia

vikinglord13
01/01/2017, 03:13 PM
Is caulerpa even illegal to keep? Just thought regulations covered the sale of it. Btw not all caulerpa species are covered. Just the faster and more tolerant like c. Taxifolia

I've been wondering that myself. I know caulerpa paspaloides is legal to buy and ship to California. That's the only species I'm aware of though.

California is pretty strict; but, many of the laws are along the lines of "do not release pets in the the wild". I know the everglades is having a problem with snakes. The South (especially TX) is having a problem with pigs. There used to be a problem with pigs on Catalina island but they were all hunted out.