PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access Security

Heckler70
12/21/2016, 05:16 PM
Does anybody else feel its not very secure? When accessing unit you should be greeted by a login box not the actual interface. When I go to settings it doesn't show my passwords but does show 1/2 of the information such as user name,SSID, encryption used, internal IP address, ETC.
I checked with the I.T guy at my company and he said it gives half of the info required to hack a system. Makes it easier for potential bandits.

I sent an e-mail to company and got a response the following morning:

yes, we foreseen a new update with these changes in order to see paramenters only when logged.

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Yours
Aquatronica srl

Does anybody know how to clear the info once registered. I tried reset, re-doing firmware update, unplugged and removed battery. The e mail info and
remote access info is still there! It just cleared the date and my programming.

RobbyG
01/02/2017, 08:35 PM
I also find it a little bit odd that they did not go straight into a User name/Password prompt but I think the idea was that you could let others view your tank parameters without being able to change anything. This kind of setup was very common several years ago. People would even post the link to their tank so other forum members could see the parameters and even watch a video stream of the tank.
I guess we are all a lot more cautious today!

If your worried, I would not be. Anyone trying to get to the Tank would have to know the IP and if you wanted extra security you could use specific port to port matching, so unless they know the IP and the Port they would never be able to see the tank parameters. Lets imagine that they did get that far, they still have to hack past the password to actually change anything! This is not windows, this is Linux and it's not going to be easy. The second hard part is that each password attempt takes about a minute before it cycles through to try again. On several occasions I have typed in the wrong password and been frustrated by the authentication time lag. I cannot imagine a Script Kiddie wasting a whole day trying to hack something like this and even if he had a week I doubt he would be able to break a 6-8 digit password.

For me it's a huge toss up. I feel pretty secure knowing that they would have to know the IP and Port to even view my controller. I also like the fact that I can quickly look at the parameters and also ask other people to monitor them for me while I am on vacation while not handing them the ability to mess up my tank.

Rob

Heckler70
01/04/2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the reply and the time spent answering questions, writing reviews, videos etc. Your reviews are one of the reasons I bought it. ;)

Hopefully with the reply I received and the what's new PDF in last firmware they have more help in writing code and the unit will keep getting better.

RobbyG
01/26/2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply and the time spent answering questions, writing reviews, videos etc. Your reviews are one of the reasons I bought it. ;)

Hopefully with the reply I received and the what's new PDF in last firmware they have more help in writing code and the unit will keep getting better.

Thanks Heckler70 for the Kind words

Rob

Aquatronica srl
01/27/2017, 01:35 AM
A big thank you to Rob from AQUATRONICA!! We really appreciate your job and the time you spend for us!