PDA

View Full Version : Help! harlequin tusk laying on bottom

Mimsypoopoo
12/22/2016, 07:50 AM
My beautiful harlequin tusk who is usally a very active swimmer is laying at the bottom of the tank like hes ready to die. I first noticed this like 4 days ago but the minute i walked over to the tank he sprung right up. But since than esp. in the last 48 hours its gotten worse. Hes still interested in food, and will get up and swim around when im watching him. This isant his normal behavior. The tusk has 4 other tank mates, Emperor angel, 3 stripe damsel, Hawkfish and a gold maroon clown. All these fish have been together for years. Its a 75 gallon reefready tank, i run a eshops skimmer and have a good amount of live rock and normal sand. Please help, hes my favorite fish in the tank. I normally do a water change (8.8 gallons) every 2 weeks.

N_Catalanotte
12/22/2016, 07:58 AM
Does he look like he is gasping for air?

Mimsypoopoo
12/22/2016, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure. He's still breathing and he will get up and swim around for a bit. Now along with him acting funky, the emperor angel is also acting weird, colors are faded and hes not lying on sand but deff on the sand.
We just got our water tested at the local store, nitrates are very high. We just did a 23-25% water change, replaced chemipure bags in sump and replaced purigen in sump.

SBV
12/22/2016, 07:38 PM
I'd be worried about ammonia with the symptoms you are describing. Good or luck man.

kegogut
12/22/2016, 07:45 PM
I'd be worried about ammonia with the symptoms you are describing. Good or luck man.

This is true. Ammonia poisoning sounds like to me as well.

Have you changed anything in your tank lately? Added any livestock?