PDA

View Full Version : Any Sony DLSR Users here? How About A6500 users?

slief
12/22/2016, 11:13 AM
In the next handful of days I will be receiving my first "real" camera.. It's a new A6500 that I am getting for XMAS. My only camera experience is using my iPhone shooting with Lightroom. Since this is my first camera and a terribly expensive new hobby, I didn't want to break the bank on expensive lenses. I knew I wanted a good macro lens but didn't want to go broke. I read some reviews and decided to go cheap initially and buy a Sigma 60mm which is about 93mm on the Sony and also a Tamron 16-300 with the Sony LA-EA3 E to A adapter. The lenses came from Amazon so I can return them if I decide I don't like them. I also plan on using this for video which should be an improvement over my iPhone 7 Plus. Other things I ordered as a small clip on Mic for video use, a decent inexpensive Tripod, camera bag, extra batteries, dual batter charger and some other small knick knacks.

Anyhow, I wanted to see who was using the Sony's and if anybody is using the newer A6xxx cameras and if you have any tips. I likely won't have the A6500 until Monday when I meet up with my brother but the lenses are arriving in the next couple days.

BlueCorn
12/22/2016, 06:31 PM
I shoot with an A6300 but I really don't do video. It's a very capable camera.

trivan
12/22/2016, 06:44 PM
When I was much more active in the photography hobby I took a course from Nikon. The advice from the pros was spend as much as you can on the Len system you will be with (Sony, canon, Nikon, etc...) and save on the body. Reasoning is the lens will make a photo sharper, clearer brighter, and the biggest reason is lens will never go old. Technology in the body will be old in 2 years. I subscribed to this and still using lens from 15 years ago. The body of a new Nikon $500 camera has better features and tech then my $1000 one from 15 years ago.

slief
12/23/2016, 06:53 PM
I shoot with an A6300 but I really don't do video. It's a very capable camera.

How do you like your A6300? Any tips for setting for good pictures with these Sony's? I already know my LED's will make it challenging to get the true colors but I am also getting pretty good in Light Room so I should be able to correct a bit of that.

When I was much more active in the photography hobby I took a course from Nikon. The advice from the pros was spend as much as you can on the Len system you will be with (Sony, canon, Nikon, etc...) and save on the body. Reasoning is the lens will make a photo sharper, clearer brighter, and the biggest reason is lens will never go old. Technology in the body will be old in 2 years. I subscribed to this and still using lens from 15 years ago. The body of a new Nikon $500 camera has better features and tech then my $1000 one from 15 years ago.

Yea, I've heard the same thing. Spend the money on the glass. It's frightening what these lenses cost and I am still having a hard time convincing myself to spend that kind of money on lenses to start with. Especially since for all intents and purposes I am a beginner when it comes to photography. I did pick up a few lenses though I didn't get real expensiive ones. I got a Sigma 60mm which will be equivalent to about 93mm on this camera. That should be decent for my use when it comes to some macro and top down photos of corals. I also got a Sony 18-105 and a Tamron 16-300 which I may return. I bought the Tamron before I bought the Sony and I think the Sony will be good for video and pictures. Thus I am having a hard time justifying the need or use for the 16-300 as I am not planning a lot of landscape type shots. My camera is E-Mount and I also got the Sony A-Mount to E-Mount adapter which I planned on using with the Tamron lense which is A-Mount. Since there isn't a wide range of options for E-Mount lenses, I figured the A-E adapter might be useful beyond the Tamron. That said, if I return the Tamron, I may return the adapter too unless I decide to keep just in case I come across a great A-Mount lens at a price I can't pass up.

BlueCorn
12/23/2016, 07:00 PM
I love the camera; so much more dynamic range than my Canon gear. Your best bet with aquarium lighting is to shoot raw and correct white balance in processing. Using a white target in the tank can be helpful too. If you've got multi-spectral lighting (Kessel et.al) you can also just the lights while shooting and then put them back.

Adapters aren't a bad way to start, but they're a hassle in the long run. When I switched, that's how I shot but have been gradually switching over to Sony glass. I AM a landscape guy so the fact that my bag is 12lbs lighter is a big deal to me. If you can't afford Sony/Zeiss glass, check out the Rokinon lenses for Sony. They're full manual but reasonably sharp, compact and pretty cheap.

(The lens in my avatar weighed over 5 lbs. The replacement for it has more reach, is just as sharp, is optically stabilized and weighs less than 1 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I loved that Canon 24-70, but not so much that I miss it.)

DamonG
12/23/2016, 09:42 PM
I have an a3000(mirrorless).. And I love the thing for tank photos and editing because it's very, very neutral in its shots, and easy to correct wb(I use camera raw).. I purchased it a couple years ago after having Canon dslr bodies for a long time.. I also was lucky to get it when they were cheap.

I actually an still using my little adapters with the stock lends, but sooner or later, I am going to also pick up a dedicated macro.. But for mostly tank shots, the adapters do surprisingly well.. I don't have to cut the pumps off for the most part either with the manual controls..

I love Sony glass and imaging products..

From note 5..

slief
12/24/2016, 01:02 AM
I love the camera; so much more dynamic range than my Canon gear. Your best bet with aquarium lighting is to shoot raw and correct white balance in processing. Using a white target in the tank can be helpful too. If you've got multi-spectral lighting (Kessel et.al) you can also just the lights while shooting and then put them back.

Adapters aren't a bad way to start, but they're a hassle in the long run. When I switched, that's how I shot but have been gradually switching over to Sony glass. I AM a landscape guy so the fact that my bag is 12lbs lighter is a big deal to me. If you can't afford Sony/Zeiss glass, check out the Rokinon lenses for Sony. They're full manual but reasonably sharp, compact and pretty cheap.

(The lens in my avatar weighed over 5 lbs. The replacement for it has more reach, is just as sharp, is optically stabilized and weighs less than 1 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I loved that Canon 24-70, but not so much that I miss it.)

I have an a3000(mirrorless).. And I love the thing for tank photos and editing because it's very, very neutral in its shots, and easy to correct wb(I use camera raw).. I purchased it a couple years ago after having Canon dslr bodies for a long time.. I also was lucky to get it when they were cheap.

I actually an still using my little adapters with the stock lends, but sooner or later, I am going to also pick up a dedicated macro.. But for mostly tank shots, the adapters do surprisingly well.. I don't have to cut the pumps off for the most part either with the manual controls..

I love Sony glass and imaging products..

From note 5..

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to get this thing. I probably won't get it until Monday when I see my brother and frankly, I'm chomping at the bit. I want to play with already. Patience is not my forte when it comes to those kinds of things. I will make a point of posting an update once it get the camera and can get a few decent shots taken. I am sure that memory card will filled up in a hurry within hours of getting it fired up.

Berny
12/24/2016, 10:33 AM
I want to get the sony a6500 too, I want it to film my reef tank so I think I'm going to get a macro and then a zoom lens for the rest of the shots. I'm also going to get a slider and a nice fluid head to make the videos more cinematic.

I plan to use Final Cut Pro to edit my video but I'm still not sure how to set white balance when I'm filming or what to use to adjust it in the aquarium.

I've also looked into underwater cases for the a6500 but it's a bit expensive and I'm not planing on going diving any time soon so it can wait haha. Any tips?

Berny
12/24/2016, 10:36 AM
I'm new so I don't know how to use the site very well, how do you add a profile picture?

slief
12/24/2016, 01:34 PM
I'm new so I don't know how to use the site very well, how do you add a profile picture?

Click on "User CP" above on the upper left of the page & select "Edit Avatar".

Then select "Use Custom Avatar" and choose the image you want to use. Then save changes.

slief
12/24/2016, 01:40 PM
I want to get the sony a6500 too, I want it to film my reef tank so I think I'm going to get a macro and then a zoom lens for the rest of the shots. I'm also going to get a slider and a nice fluid head to make the videos more cinematic.

I plan to use Final Cut Pro to edit my video but I'm still not sure how to set white balance when I'm filming or what to use to adjust it in the aquarium.

I've also looked into underwater cases for the a6500 but it's a bit expensive and I'm not planing on going diving any time soon so it can wait haha. Any tips?

Seems like we have similar uses for the camera. I got 60 mm for macro shots. That works out to about 93 mm on the 6500. I got a Sony 18–105 for video which I read is a very good lens and will cover pretty much the whole gamut of shooting. It'll be good for wider shots as well as close ups when walking around the tank. It also has a relatively fast auto focus which will be good for video as well.

Berny
12/25/2016, 09:49 AM
Yeah the fast autofocus and the sensor stabilization will make the video look awesome, but I think rolling shutter is still a problem in the a6500 so I'd avoid fast movements form one side to the other.

So your macro is a full frame lense right?

*Thanks for the help with changing my avatar pic*

Misled
12/25/2016, 10:59 AM

My snake is bigger. :)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/DSC_7629.jpg

DamonG
12/26/2016, 08:23 AM
Yeah the fast autofocus and the sensor stabilization will make the video look awesome, but I think rolling shutter is still a problem in the a6500 so I'd avoid fast movements form one side to the other.

Rolling shutter.. Lol, I renege that from my old Sony camcorder days.. What I did, was basically learned to go full manual on everything. I learned filming RC helicopters performing aerobics with all of their jerky movements, lens flares, exposure issues, and etc that arise from going fully auto. It took a little bit, but that experience was most enlightening. Going full manual, and learning it to the point of second nature allows you to basically not think of most things that come up..

The rolling shutter, you just use the shutter speed to eliminate, and then the iso to get rid of the darkness(I'm thinking out loud and am much better on the camera)and pretty much that's it.. Then, you can zoom, pan, tilt whatever at any speed you like.. Then, additionally, when you want to get some excellent pe shots, nice and crisp!

The other thing I always have is a kokin filter holder and at least a basic set of filters(kokin is pretty cheap, so the investment is miniscule). A polarizer, and orange filter, for our purposes solved maybe 99% of the problems that we run into with reef setups..

But that's my little input.. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

From note 5..

btb72
12/26/2016, 12:44 PM
I just got the a6000 love the camera. Takes great pics. It will automatically adjust the color balance if you have something in the tank that it can correct on. Use a round object instead of a grey sheet, and it will work with the light changing on it. Watch b&h unleash the power of the a6000. They probably have one about the 6500. But if you want to use the full potential shooting raw is the way to go. Very time consuming but can change anything you want.

BlueCorn
12/26/2016, 01:15 PM
if you want to use the full potential shooting raw is the way to go. Very time consuming but can change anything you want.

If you use the right tools, like Lightroom, RAW isn't any harder than JPG. ;)

slief
12/28/2016, 12:30 AM
Rolling shutter.. Lol, I renege that from my old Sony camcorder days.. What I did, was basically learned to go full manual on everything. I learned filming RC helicopters performing aerobics with all of their jerky movements, lens flares, exposure issues, and etc that arise from going fully auto. It took a little bit, but that experience was most enlightening. Going full manual, and learning it to the point of second nature allows you to basically not think of most things that come up..

The rolling shutter, you just use the shutter speed to eliminate, and then the iso to get rid of the darkness(I'm thinking out loud and am much better on the camera)and pretty much that's it.. Then, you can zoom, pan, tilt whatever at any speed you like.. Then, additionally, when you want to get some excellent pe shots, nice and crisp!

The other thing I always have is a kokin filter holder and at least a basic set of filters(kokin is pretty cheap, so the investment is miniscule). A polarizer, and orange filter, for our purposes solved maybe 99% of the problems that we run into with reef setups..

But that's my little input.. [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

From note 5..

Filming RC Heli Aerobatics?? Interesting you bring that up. How far back do you go in the hobby? Did you film mostly locally or do you trave to IRCHA or any other events? I was in the RC Heli business for a number of years. I owned a hobby shop that catered to the 3D Heli crowd. I sold the business (Zoom's Hobbies) several years ago. I'm good friends with a number of the well knows in the hobby or at least those that were. I remember the Szabo's when they were just kids.

slief
12/28/2016, 12:45 AM
I just got the a6000 love the camera. Takes great pics. It will automatically adjust the color balance if you have something in the tank that it can correct on. Use a round object instead of a grey sheet, and it will work with the light changing on it. Watch b&h unleash the power of the a6000. They probably have one about the 6500. But if you want to use the full potential shooting raw is the way to go. Very time consuming but can change anything you want.

I will be shooting Raw. I got the camera yesterday and played a bit using the Tamron lens. I am returning that to Amazon though. I got a good deal on a Sony 18-200 lens from Best Buy and I think it will be a better overall choice than that Tamron. Especially for Video since the Sony's autofocus is faster compared the A-Mount Tamron on the A to E adapter.

The Macro I got is a Sigma 60mm for the E-Mount. I think it's full frame but I know it works out to about 93mm on these cameras. It's the only E-Mount they make and the reviews on them seem to be pretty good.

If you use the right tools, like Lightroom, RAW isn't any harder than JPG. ;)

I've been learning Lightroom pretty quick. I was already pretty familiar with Photoshop and spent some time yesterday playing with some of the raw images I took. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Heck, even the unedited raw images looked better than anything I've ever taken. I should have the 60mm and the new Sony lens tomorrow at which point I will be diving in. I've spent a fair amount of time watching videos trying to learn as much as I can about the nuisances of taking pictures of reef tanks and trying to understand about F Stop, shutter speeds and ISO settings. It's a bit overwhelming but I am a quick learn and a sponge for information. I just wish I retained that info better on the first pass. My short term memory isn't as good as I'd like.

That said, I will be in deep tomorrow when I really start diving in.

DamonG
12/28/2016, 02:16 AM
Filming RC Heli Aerobatics?? Interesting you bring that up. How far back do you go in the hobby? Did you film mostly locally or do you trave to IRCHA or any other events? I was in the RC Heli business for a number of years. I owned a hobby shop that catered to the 3D Heli crowd. I sold the business (Zoom's Hobbies) several years ago. I'm good friends with a number of the well knows in the hobby or at least those that were. I remember the Szabo's when they were just kids.
Ha! That's comical.. I actually have done both, local and ircha(for a few years).. I started flying around 93, and have done it off and on over the years. I did ircha, and other events around the country when I flew for Byrons for two years(i actually did FAI class 1).. I then did discs and same day edits for people I knew..

But yes, I was one of those at the noon demos wrenching my neck and shoulders to death.. And I didn't have the little mini cams, but a pretty decently outfitted rig. And that thing was decently heavy..

I never made the money that Derrick made with his editing, but we always use to stay in contact and talk about/exchange ideas.. Good guy from my memories..

We used to tent and kick around with Nick, Bobby, Bert, Beast, some of the Curtis crew, and the rest of the normal goofballs in those groups. It was fun, though I never got to the level of those guys.. And yes, I knew the Szabo brothers, but always found Danny to be much more approachable and down to earth.. But I remember when they were kids too and flew for Kalt and Airtronics.. Back in the old Excell Custom days..

I still mess around with my little heli, just hovering.. But none of the flip flop I used to do.. And Imess with my little mini drone.. Both just for fun.. But yep, Iremember all except your shop.. But I kind of remember the name.. It rings a bell for some reason.. It may have been parts, not sure, because I flew synergies, raves, my good old ergo(long ago), 700's, and of course started on a plastic fantastic..

But honestly, I try to not think of that time much.. Lots of pain involved..

From note 5..

DamonG
12/28/2016, 02:23 AM
I will be shooting Raw. I got the camera yesterday and played a bit using the Tamron lens. I am returning that to Amazon though. I got a good deal on a Sony 18-200 lens from Best Buy and I think it will be a better overall choice than that Tamron. Especially for Video since the Sony's autofocus is faster compared the A-Mount Tamron on the A to E adapter.

The Macro I got is a Sigma 60mm for the E-Mount. I think it's full frame but I know it works out to about 93mm on these cameras. It's the only E-Mount they make and the reviews on them seem to be pretty good.

I've been learning Lightroom pretty quick. I was already pretty familiar with Photoshop and spent some time yesterday playing with some of the raw images I took. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Heck, even the unedited raw images looked better than anything I've ever taken. I should have the 60mm and the new Sony lens tomorrow at which point I will be diving in. I've spent a fair amount of time watching videos trying to learn as much as I can about the nuisances of taking pictures of reef tanks and trying to understand about F Stop, shutter speeds and ISO settings. It's a bit overwhelming but I am a quick learn and a sponge for information. I just wish I retained that info better on the first pass. My short term memory isn't as good as I'd like.

Hey.. I actually have that 18-200.. It's a fairly slow lens, that your going to "have to" pretty much shoot manual if you want to do video..

And yes, the quality of the pictures and video shocked me also. And still do at times honestly.. It's fun sitting in my model raw/jpeg, simply because the peg, I can share them immediately, and then raw in camera raw, and bring in Photoshop seamlessly..

I always suggest to play with the camera and take tons of silly pictures that you know you are going to delete.. Just to learn from.. When I first started,I made myself shoot 10 pictures every single day. And I put a limit on 10 simply because it was a low enough number that I could play with things in the camera, and it still wouldn't take long to do..

From note 5..

Misled
12/28/2016, 07:37 AM

Trust me Scott, you haven't met deep yet, but it"s coming!!!! :lol:

trivan
12/28/2016, 07:44 AM
If your converting to RAW, make sure you increase your hard drive space on your computer as well. This also mean your back up device. Raw files are a lot bigger then jpgs.

DamonG
12/28/2016, 09:30 AM
If your converting to RAW, make sure you increase your hard drive space on your computer as well. This also mean your back up device. Raw files are a lot bigger then jpgs.

Good point!

Dedicated drive or RAID array is the best with a separate for cache also(even a thumb drive with a couple extra gigs works).. Especially if your going to work with video, it's almost a must!

Since drives are so cheap these days, it's a tiny investment into the future..

And also,a good set of legs and head.. Benro actually makes excellent heads for a very low cost.. I have a Benro 8 series head on manfrotto 3046(I think I remember them being the 3046, as I've had them for quite a few years) legs..

From note 5..

slief
12/28/2016, 06:37 PM
Ha! That's comical.. I actually have done both, local and ircha(for a few years).. I started flying around 93, and have done it off and on over the years. I did ircha, and other events around the country when I flew for Byrons for two years(i actually did FAI class 1).. I then did discs and same day edits for people I knew..

But yes, I was one of those at the noon demos wrenching my neck and shoulders to death.. And I didn't have the little mini cams, but a pretty decently outfitted rig. And that thing was decently heavy..

I never made the money that Derrick made with his editing, but we always use to stay in contact and talk about/exchange ideas.. Good guy from my memories..

We used to tent and kick around with Nick, Bobby, Bert, Beast, some of the Curtis crew, and the rest of the normal goofballs in those groups. It was fun, though I never got to the level of those guys.. And yes, I knew the Szabo brothers, but always found Danny to be much more approachable and down to earth.. But I remember when they were kids too and flew for Kalt and Airtronics.. Back in the old Excell Custom days..

I still mess around with my little heli, just hovering.. But none of the flip flop I used to do.. And Imess with my little mini drone.. Both just for fun.. But yep, Iremember all except your shop.. But I kind of remember the name.. It rings a bell for some reason.. It may have been parts, not sure, because I flew synergies, raves, my good old ergo(long ago), 700's, and of course started on a plastic fantastic..

But honestly, I try to not think of that time much.. Lots of pain involved..

From note 5..

Sounds like we both go back a similar distance in the RC Hobby. You may recognize some of these guys..

Me, Todd Bennet, Jason Kraus and Curtis Youngblood. I rented the Heli and had us flown into to the So. Cal 3D Classic and delivered pizza's for the entire crowd as a publicity stunt for my shop. Alan Szabo wanted to fly in with us but we didn't have room. At the time, he was an up and comer and I felt bad then and even worse now.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/image_zpsci6vlzep.jpeg

slief
12/28/2016, 06:41 PM
Trust me Scott, you haven't met deep yet, but it"s coming!!!! :lol:
Yea, I can see this becoming pretty bad.

That's not an issue for me. I'm in the computer and data storage business. Hard drives are a dime a dozen but just playing with Lightroom has already exploited the weakness in my older computer at home. My brother is pushing me to get a MAC but I have too many programs including some that control Aquarium stuff that depend on Windows. Plus the fact that I can easily upgrade Windows computers where as MAC's aren't as easy. I am already spec'ing it's upgrades which include new Motherboard, latest i7 CPU, 32GB RAM and a good sized fast SSD boot drive.

Good point!

Dedicated drive or RAID array is the best with a separate for cache also(even a thumb drive with a couple extra gigs works).. Especially if your going to work with video, it's almost a must!

Since drives are so cheap these days, it's a tiny investment into the future..

And also,a good set of legs and head.. Benro actually makes excellent heads for a very low cost.. I have a Benro 8 series head on manfrotto 3046(I think I remember them being the 3046, as I've had them for quite a few years) legs..

From note 5..

I will likely include a SATA RAID setup with several drives and an Areca RAID controller in my system which I plan on rebuilding next week when I get back to the office. As for the Tripod, I have a Slik Pro 500DX with their 3 way pan head. It's not the greatest tripod but it's pretty heavy and solid.

DamonG
12/28/2016, 10:50 PM
Sounds like we both go back a similar distance in the RC Hobby. You may recognize some of these guys..

Me, Todd Bennet, Jason Kraus and Curtis Youngblood. I rented the Heli and had us flown into to the So. Cal 3D Classic and delivered pizza's for the entire crowd as a publicity stunt for my shop. Alan Szabo wanted to fly in with us but we didn't have room. At the time, he was an up and comer and I felt bad then and even worse now.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/image_zpsci6vlzep.jpeg
Lol, yep.. Recognize them all.. And I remember that helicopter too.. Idon't know why.. Lol.. But it rings a bell.. That's cool and funny at the same time.. And yes, it definitely sounds and looks like we do..

And yeah, he went on to do some crazy things with align.. I really have been out of the circles for maybe 6 to 7 years, so not really sure what he or anyone else(except the ones I still have on my Facebook that I only check once a year or so) is doing..

From note 5..

DamonG
12/28/2016, 11:09 PM
Yea, I can see this becoming pretty bad.

That's not an issue for me. I'm in the computer and data storage business. Hard drives are a dime a dozen but just playing with Lightroom has already exploited the weakness in my older computer at home. My brother is pushing me to get a MAC but I have too many programs including some that control Aquarium stuff that depend on Windows. Plus the fact that I can easily upgrade Windows computers where as MAC's aren't as easy. I am already spec'ing it's upgrades which include new Motherboard, latest i7 CPU, 32GB RAM and a good sized fast SSD boot drive.

I will likely include a SATA RAID setup with several drives and an Areca RAID controller in my system which I plan on rebuilding next week when I get back to the office. As for the Tripod, I have a Slik Pro 500DX with their 3 way pan head. It's not the greatest tripod but it's pretty heavy and solid.
Ahh.. Lol, you and I sound very much alike.. My systems are generally built around their multimedia processing prowess.. And I put on another thread that I haven't bought a built machine since 2008, and that was a laptop(only because they stopped making kits).. Because of this, like you, I will not do Macs. I worked on them at work and they are a pain and not flexible..

And lol, don't boot to ssd.. Lol.. If your motherboard has the slot, use a m.2 drive! They are the ultimate in speed(like insane ), and the price isn't too, too bad at all.. And I actually am running an external enclosure for mine.. I can't remember what controller is in it, but it goes to my esata port, and everything is pretty much instant.. Sequence(timeline) scrubbing and renderingis snappy, even in After Effects with pretty loaded projects.

My current editing system has the Asus motherboard, m.2 boot drive, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb cache drive, 2tb external raid, Intel 4.0Ghz i7(the 4790, which now is I think 2 generations back, but it's an absolute beast!), and the gtx970(i think)4gb version(i think it's 4, lol I never remember that stuff after I build it) and I think that's it..

Oh! And don't forget cuda! Be sure to get a Nvidia graphic card to take advantage of cuda! That does help tremendously with the Adobe applications..

From note 5..

slief
12/29/2016, 09:23 AM
Lol, yep.. Recognize them all.. And I remember that helicopter too.. Idon't know why.. Lol.. But it rings a bell.. That's cool and funny at the same time.. And yes, it definitely sounds and looks like we do..

And yeah, he went on to do some crazy things with align.. I really have been out of the circles for maybe 6 to 7 years, so not really sure what he or anyone else(except the ones I still have on my Facebook that I only check once a year or so) is doing..

From note 5..

There were all kinds of photoshops on RunRyder back in the day of it coming in upside down. That may be where you recognize it from. Like you, I've been out of the circle for several years too.

slief
12/29/2016, 09:28 AM
Ahh.. Lol, you and I sound very much alike.. My systems are generally built around their multimedia processing prowess.. And I put on another thread that I haven't bought a built machine since 2008, and that was a laptop(only because they stopped making kits).. Because of this, like you, I will not do Macs. I worked on them at work and they are a pain and not flexible..

And lol, don't boot to ssd.. Lol.. If your motherboard has the slot, use a m.2 drive! They are the ultimate in speed(like insane ), and the price isn't too, too bad at all.. And I actually am running an external enclosure for mine.. I can't remember what controller is in it, but it goes to my esata port, and everything is pretty much instant.. Sequence(timeline) scrubbing and renderingis snappy, even in After Effects with pretty loaded projects.

My current editing system has the Asus motherboard, m.2 boot drive, 32 gigs of ram, 1tb cache drive, 2tb external raid, Intel 4.0Ghz i7(the 4790, which now is I think 2 generations back, but it's an absolute beast!), and the gtx970(i think)4gb version(i think it's 4, lol I never remember that stuff after I build it) and I think that's it..

Oh! And don't forget cuda! Be sure to get a Nvidia graphic card to take advantage of cuda! That does help tremendously with the Adobe applications..

From note 5..

Good info. I will likely be using an Asus motherboard also though could go Supermicro. I will definitely consider the M2 though. I was thinking I could RAID 0 my OS drives down the line just to have some redundancy there. My plan is to use an i7 2600k for the CPU and a GTX 1070. I will likely build this next week once I get back to the office.

DamonG
12/29/2016, 05:26 PM
Good info. I will likely be using an Asus motherboard also though could go Supermicro. I will definitely consider the M2 though. I was thinking I could RAID 0 my OS drives down the line just to have some redundancy there. My plan is to use an i7 2600k for the CPU and a GTX 1070. I will likely build this next week once I get back to the office.
Thanks.. But lol, no need to raid the m.2, at least for performance... Unless you just want to.. But you can do it if you just wanted to.. They're basically memory sticks that work on the pciex8 bus(lol, it's been a few months, but read up on them.. They are ridiculous!).. Insanely fast! But I hear you on redundancy.. I back up to an external.. But the m.2 puts ssd in the dust.. I didn't believe it until I started checking and then I purchased mine.. And from at least three ocZ I have, and the Samsung I built a machine for someone, they are very stable and reliable..

And micro, another long-standing brand.. But, lol, you building a server or dual processor setup? And from what I read the 1070 is a great card.. And the 2600, I think I considered that one also.. Another beast from what I remember..

But you'll have fun and be surprised at the same time if you haven't, like myself, built a new machine in a few years.. This one renewed my love for the build honestly..

If you can, go with the 99 chipset.. At the time at least, that was the newest one.. The tech, of course is ahead of the 97 I have.. I want to say more things are on one of the bus lanes of the cpu, including the m.2.. I think..

But things are so much more efficient and faster now.. Oh, and your power supply isn't as critical as far as wattage.. And along with that, if you go with Asus, your going to love the new bios! It's awesome!
From note 5..

DamonG
12/29/2016, 05:27 PM
There were all kinds of photoshops on RunRyder back in the day of it coming in upside down. That may be where you recognize it from. Like you, I've been out of the circle for several years too.
Ha ha ha.. Maybe.. RunRyder.. Lol, that place.. Another bunch of crazy clowns..

From note 5..

slief
12/31/2016, 10:56 AM
I ended up renting a Tamron 60mm macro lens to play with. I got some surpringly good shots for a newbie. Here are a handful.. Some of these were taken through the viewing panes while others were taken with a top down viewer. I didn't play with ISO settings. I only played with white balance and F Stop. I think most were at F22.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00652_zpsbul60fnp.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00643_zpsgkiqvsbn.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00633_zpszuqvmkio.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00624_zpsa0c8lkgt.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00615_zpsq2vkg3fb.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00284_zpstemu45dc.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/Plate%201%20of%201_zpsavddl5o0.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/Plate%202%201%20of%201_zps3dpyjfgn.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00611_zpskekjoazs.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00605_zpspba9j2qf.jpg

slief
12/31/2016, 11:00 AM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00365_zpsqchwftqu.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00259_zpsyiqrz9xj.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00242_zpsazazevni.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/Hammer%201%20of%201_zpsegs5bpfo.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00231_zps91bwcrln.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00221_zpsvlk82mwg.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00205_zps004xs6hk.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00204_zpsdjgqprnt.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00160_zps6j2zf27f.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/coral/DSC00086_zpsnsjcr10c.jpg

slief
12/31/2016, 11:09 AM
A few fish pics. I'm not good at the fish. Since they are always moving and don't sit still long enough, I probably need to learn more to get better pictures and likely need a better lens for them.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/DSC00778_zpsrxgffxe6.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Anthias_zps9niokbzi.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Anthias2_zpsnm8xxcoq.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/6%20line2_zpspzyeae1v.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Vlamingi2_zpsre2t7lth.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Borb_zpscxweviwt.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Vlamingi%201%20of%201_zpstvl82kpq.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/6%20line%201%20of%201_zpszz35e0rm.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/DSC00789_zpsippv6yqn.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/DSC00779_zps8qlpqgeu.jpg

slief
12/31/2016, 11:10 AM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Bangaii_zpslwbglqqq.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Coral%20bandit_zpsfpzhc6oz.jpg

DamonG
01/01/2017, 06:54 AM
Those look pretty good Scott!

From note 5..

Berny
01/02/2017, 07:42 PM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Bangaii_zpslwbglqqq.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/New%20cam/Fish/Coral%20bandit_zpsfpzhc6oz.jpg

Pics looking great, if you take good video and upload it to youtube please share.

D1105
01/08/2017, 03:14 AM
It's been a while since I lurked in this forum and I went straight to the photography section :) After my 180 reef tank crashed three years ago, I decided to pick up a new hobby. I went though my fair share of Sony mirrorless and currently have the A7RII and A7s. I just sold the A6000 four months ago and was happy with it but mainly used it for vacation and underwater pictures with a underwater housing. I would definitely recommend joining your local photography meetup groups, I learned a lot from experienced members. Good luck with your A6500, I've heard great reviews with that camera (no more overheating from 4k videos). I would also recommend sticking with native lenses for faster autofocus. I only kept my MC-11 to use with a Sigma 150-600 (canon mount) since Sony doesn't have that focal range yet.

slief
01/09/2017, 11:49 AM
It's been a while since I lurked in this forum and I went straight to the photography section :) After my 180 reef tank crashed three years ago, I decided to pick up a new hobby. I went though my fair share of Sony mirrorless and currently have the A7RII and A7s. I just sold the A6000 four months ago and was happy with it but mainly used it for vacation and underwater pictures with a underwater housing. I would definitely recommend joining your local photography meetup groups, I learned a lot from experienced members. Good luck with your A6500, I've heard great reviews with that camera (no more overheating from 4k videos). I would also recommend sticking with native lenses for faster autofocus. I only kept my MC-11 to use with a Sigma 150-600 (canon mount) since Sony doesn't have that focal range yet.

Thanks for the great advice. i didn't even think about the local meetup groups. That's a great idea! I ended up returning the Tamron 16-300 which used the adapter. I just didn't see a good need for it since I also got a Sony 18-200 emount lens which I thought would be good for video too. After reading up on lenses for video, it seems there may have been better choices. In particular the Sony - E PZ 18-105mm f/4.0. I am keeping my eye out for one of those. I also picked up a slightly used Tamron 60mm Macro lens though that uses the Sony adapter. It was a great deal. It's the same model macro lens I recently rented and worked really well for some of the pictures I took. I also have that Sigma 60mm e mount lens which is a decent (not great) portrait lens that was really inexpensive. It seems to take decent shots too. I just don't want to go broke on lenses which I am finding is easy to do if you go with the high end stuff.