PDA

View Full Version : Help Planning 180g Planted Fuge

JonezNReef
12/23/2016, 12:07 PM
So I am in the process of changing my current scratched up 180g reef tank with a new 180g tank:D. So since I will have this second 180g, I thought I would make it a planted refugium. Only problem is I don't have the slightest clue about macro algae and marine plants. I am reading up everything I can on them online :reading: but like personal opinions and experiences.

So the plan is to have the new 180g reef drain into the 180g fuge and then the fuge drain into a sump. So I will have a 2'x2'x6' space to plant what ever I want:dance:. I am ordering 200lbs of sand and will also have some live rock but not sure how much yet.

So any suggestions on what to get or not get as far as algae, critters, lighting or any other part of this. I do know I would like to have some macro algea to feed my Tangs. I am still planning this and I am open to any and all suggestions!:bounce1:
Thanks for the help

Ron Reefman
12/25/2016, 04:32 AM
I'm about 3 months into a 50g display refugium to go along with my 125g reef tank. I don't know that I'm very knowledgable about planted tanks or refugiums, but I'll share what I can and will follow along as well (so I can learn).

I started the tank and ran my lights with a very warm white spectrum for the fist 6 weeks. I don't think the macroalgae did all that well (a few did and a few didn't) but the nuisance algae did great! But it's also a new tank and despite having a lot of old LR and corals in the DT, I've still had the typical new tank kind of algae cycle which is still going on at just over 3 months. After 6 weeks of warm white light, I switched to have the reef tank and the display refugium run the same cool white with lots of blue spectrum. The macro algaes seem to be responding better.

You might look into Tampa Bay Saltwater for some live rock. I got 25 pounds for a different system and it came covered in various sponges and has now started growing several new algae types in that system.

I bought some macroalgae from Gulf Coast Ecosystems, and I think KP Aquatics and Caribbean Tropicals (both in the Florida Keys) also have some plants, macroalgae and other critters you could find useful.

I enjoy having stuff that is different than most other reefers, so I use my display refugium to house critters that I wouldn't/ shouldn't/couldn't put in my sps/lps reef tank. My first critter has been a Hawaiian Red Reef Lobster named Hannibal (after Hannibal Lecter) because he is a proven killer. But he is a beautiful animal and fairly entertaining to watch.

Michael Hoaster
01/02/2017, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a great project! I see one potential problem: If you keep your reef tank nutrient-poor, like most reefers, your planted tank will likely be nutrient-limited, and not grow plants very well. I'd recommend not connecting them, so that you can tailor conditions to suit each tank. If you must connect them, then I'd suggest slow growing red macros and/or seagrasses, which don't require high nutrients.

JonezNReef
01/02/2017, 04:04 PM
Sounds like a great project! I see one potential problem: If you keep your reef tank nutrient-poor, like most reefers, your planted tank will likely be nutrient-limited, and not grow plants very well. I'd recommend not connecting them, so that you can tailor conditions to suit each tank. If you must connect them, then I'd suggest slow growing red macros and/or seagrasses, which don't require high nutrients.

For the most part my tanks are far from ULNS, so nutrients wont be to much of a limiting factor but I will be sure to start out with slower growing red macro's but I am still up in the air on seagrass

Michael Hoaster
01/02/2017, 05:09 PM
Seagrasses are challenging and sloooooow growing, in my experience. Try a few and see how they do in your setup. The red (macro) sampler pack at live-plantsdotcom may be a good start with reds.

JonezNReef
01/02/2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks I will check them out. I'm not sure I want too large of variety right off the bat. I was thinking of trying gracilliaria since my Tangs could enjoy it. I'm still researching but I appreciate the insight.

Michael Hoaster
01/21/2017, 11:54 AM
Progress?

JonezNReef
01/21/2017, 10:53 PM
I am currently building my new system. I am still trying to figure out what I want at this stage. I have been researching when I get time I was hoping for peoples experiences such as what kinds to stay away from, things that have helped, things you wouldn't do....things like that. But it's all a work in progress