PDA

View Full Version : Will Maroons accept M. doreensis as host?

vhuang168
12/23/2016, 05:53 PM
Looking for alternative host to my pair of lightning Maroons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davocean
12/23/2016, 06:01 PM
Maroons seem to be one of the quickest to accept a host regardless of whether it's a natural match or not, I'm sure yours will.

CoralsAddiction
12/23/2016, 07:57 PM
it will probably work but where's the fun in that? Lol
In all seriousness LTA host is better than no host for clowns but if I were you I'd go with a BTA. I remmber a BTA stinging one of my favorite green monti caps but it recovered without any issues if that's your reasoning for not wanting a BTA.

vhuang168
12/23/2016, 09:18 PM
The plan was to have a mag for my percula and give up my btas n lightning Maroons. Alternate was keep the btas/Maroons n get a gig for the percula.

I prefer a mag to a gig. The only gig I can find locally is a pretty big specimen for $500!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161224/ce3d037292d5651e2c3b24c1e873d138.jpg

LucidGoblin
12/23/2016, 09:53 PM
I currently have very small maroon clown and a little larger black ocellaris both occupying a LTA! They don't hang in it much during the day, busy looking (begging) for food, but at night they both snuggle down on either side of the tentacles and go to sleep. This probably an unusual case, and I do intend to get the black clown his own BTA, because I doubt this little relationship will continue as the fish get older. (I can only hope that I won't have to separate them completely.) Anyway, yes, in my experience, maroons and cinnamon clownfish are the two fish most likely to take up with a LTA.

CoralsAddiction
12/23/2016, 10:07 PM
I prefer a mag to a gig. The only gig I can find locally is a pretty big specimen for $500!

That's quite a lot for a gig no matter what color it is. I paid $45 for mine. It's not electric green, blue or purple but I enjoy it just as much.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ib7iN8skn1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oahureefer
12/26/2016, 01:42 PM
I have had pretty much everything host my maroons, they love to hid in anything they can anemone or coral.

snorvich
12/26/2016, 08:19 PM
I currently have very small maroon clown and a little larger black ocellaris both occupying a LTA! They don't hang in it much during the day, busy looking (begging) for food, but at night they both snuggle down on either side of the tentacles and go to sleep. This probably an unusual case, and I do intend to get the black clown his own BTA, because I doubt this little relationship will continue as the fish get older. (I can only hope that I won't have to separate them completely.) Anyway, yes, in my experience, maroons and cinnamon clownfish are the two fish most likely to take up with a LTA.

The maroon will win in the long run.

LucidGoblin
12/27/2016, 01:36 PM
In reply to snorvich, I figured as much, even though the black clown has now claimed the LTA as his own. He doesn't fight with the smaller maroon, or even chase him around, he just nudges him out of the tentacles. Other than that, they're getting along . . . so far. I'm going to isolate the black clown with a BTA in the hopes that he will prefer his natural host. I will allow the little maroon to take up residence in the LTA. Has anyone had experience with two different species occupying separate anemones in the same tank?

vhuang168
12/27/2016, 01:56 PM
BTAs are not natural hosts for A. occellaris. Rather they are natural hosts for Maroons and I think LTAs are natural hosts for occellaris so switch the order.

LucidGoblin
12/27/2016, 04:13 PM
Actually, after checking every chart available, I see that Ritteri and Carpet anemones naturally host A. ocellaris. (I could have sworn BTA's were on that list! My mistake.) Maybe if I can find a Ritteri, I will try that.

oahureefer
12/27/2016, 06:23 PM
While BTAs are not natural host for ocellaris they will host them in our tanks, that's what I have set up for my nephew. Since I can't watch the tank all the time I wanted an easy anemone for him and his ocellaris pair.