PDA

View Full Version : Help! Firefish in bad shape

Raintree
12/23/2016, 07:42 PM
This firefish is in trouble and I could use some help deciding what to do next.

I picked up a firefish and royal gramma on 12/18 and put them straight in a qt. Eventually started the tank transfer method on 12/17 because i noticed a white spot on the gramma, and the gramma had not been eating the mysis i was adding as far as i could tell. I've been keeping the fish together throughout the ttm.

picked up fish on 12/18, went into qt
First transfer to bucket on 12/17
Second transfer to another bucket on 12/20, notice a nipped fin or two on the firefish but figure it would be okay to keep them together still (probably a big mistake)
Third transfer to another bucket today, 12/23, firefish is in bad shape.

Here's a picture from the day i got the fish:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee122/andrewmcginnis/pet%20stuff/20161208_134800_zpsfdhjpn0p.jpg

And here's the firefish today (gramma looks healthy)
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee122/andrewmcginnis/pet%20stuff/20161223_163540_zpsldjylpmc.jpg

As you can see he's in bad shape. I am going to separate him from the gramma, however I'm not sure what other steps to take to save the fish. I'm thinking he might have some fin rot or a bacterial infection, or possibly even velvet (I'm not sure if you can see, but his back end has sort of a powdery look to it and his overall coloration is poor). I have no experience treating saltwater fish so any help is much appreciated. I have Prazi Pro, Ciprofloxacin, Minocycline, Amoxicillin, and Ich-X (formaldehyde <5%, methanol <2%, malachite green chloride <0.1%) on hand.

Raintree
12/23/2016, 09:38 PM
At this point I'm thinking it's either flukes or a bacterial (or fungal) infection, or both. I haven't seen any aggression from the royal gramma but I will still be separating them just in case. I'm going to the lfs to pick up some Paraguard, another heater or two, and maybe Cupramine and Formalin just to have on hand (especially considering most stores will be closed the next few days with the holidays).

The fish are still in a bucket together (which I just added PraziPro to). When I separate them I might freshwater dip the firefish to see if any flukes fall off, but I'm concerned all of this might just be too much stress.

I'd really appreciate some help with this if anyone has some input. It seems unlikely that the firefish will pull through but I'd like to give it the best possible chance.

OrionN
02/21/2017, 06:08 AM
How did he do? I think it was just injury from the Royal Gramma. I would imagine that if you separate him he would be fine if he is eating. This thread was over two months ago so sorry that no one answer it.

Zalick
02/21/2017, 10:53 AM
I agree with Minh. Royal Gramma's can be a little territorial with a Firefish, especially in close proximity like that.

I know this thread is two months old and your fish already survived or not...hopefully survived. The information below is for other people searching with a similar issue.

There could be a secondary bacterial infection. I would separate them and try paraguard.

I always use Prazi prophetically for flukes as well.

Raintree
02/21/2017, 04:59 PM
I separated them and treated both with paraguard but unfortunately the firefish didn't make it. The gramma is doing fine however

Zalick
02/21/2017, 05:17 PM
I separated them and treated both with paraguard but unfortunately the firefish didn't make it. The gramma is doing fine however

Sorry to hear that. I always hate it when a fish doesn't make it through QT.

My royal gramma does the little open mouth intimidate thing with my firefish all the time.

Raintree
02/21/2017, 08:11 PM
Yeah that was a mistake on my part to QT them together