PDA

View Full Version : Sump vs HOB overflow

Hoggwild
12/26/2016, 02:01 PM
150 gallon.
Ok, I have read many negative things about hob overflows BUT I think I really (eventually) want a sump for a bunch of what I think might be good reasons and NOT drill the tank (for one good reason, LOL),
Has anyone thought to put the return pump on a float switch/relay so if the siphon breaks the return pump becomes disabled when either (1) the sump goes below a predetermined level or (2) The display tank goes over same ????
Seems fairly easy to do and wondered why I have not read about it,

Hoggwild
12/26/2016, 02:44 PM
I guess I should have said drilled vs HOB" but you get the drift ;)

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 02:58 PM
Yes ..

This can work fine. as well as use a up lifter pump in the top of the over flow tube will give even extra protection .

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Deluxe-Siphon-Overflow-Lifter/dp/B0099TV6G0

and this switch from autotopoff.com

http://www.autotopoff.com/Single/su.jpg

this would prob be best to have in your display tank to shut off pump if water rises above the over flow.. maybe inside the wehr but you would have to be sure to clean and test it weekly..

SFish
12/26/2016, 03:22 PM
If you have to rely on a float switch and a pump then that should tell you something. The only good reason not to drill a tank is if it's tempered glass. A float switch will get stuck sooner or later by the way.

Ou8me2
12/26/2016, 04:14 PM
You have to keep in mind also that if you want a sump later. That if you can get it in and out without a hassle. On my 75-Gallon if I wanted to remove the sump I would have to drain the tank and move the tank off the stand.

Volcmreefer
12/26/2016, 04:37 PM
I would avoid a HOB. If I have only learned one thing about this hobby, it's that if there is a potential for something to fail, it will. Drilling a tank is easy. Just make sure it isn't tempered. I was freaking out about drilling mine and it turned out to be super easy. Plenty of videos on the Internet about it you can reference as well. Happy reefing!

SFish
12/26/2016, 05:20 PM
Do it right the first time and be done with it.

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 05:55 PM
If you have to rely on a float switch and a pump then that should tell you something. The only good reason not to drill a tank is if it's tempered glass. A float switch will get stuck sooner or later by the way.

You have to keep in mind also that if you want a sump later. That if you can get it in and out without a hassle. On my 75-Gallon if I wanted to remove the sump I would have to drain the tank and move the tank off the stand.

I would avoid a HOB. If I have only learned one thing about this hobby, it's that if there is a potential for something to fail, it will. Drilling a tank is easy. Just make sure it isn't tempered. I was freaking out about drilling mine and it turned out to be super easy. Plenty of videos on the Internet about it you can reference as well. Happy reefing!

I agree with the above to a point. I ran a over the top over flow for a while years ago with no issue at all. But i always kept a close eye on it .The key is the Suction pump connected to the top of the over flow tube..
With that said the Question was CAN It be done Using a float switch as a extra safety feature.
So the simple answer is YES... :deadhorse:

Some just do not wanna drill there tanks.. Its not us to judge there reasons
:beer:

SFish
12/27/2016, 01:58 AM
And what happens when the pump fails or the float switch gets stuck? HOB overflows are fairly reliable but if you want something that's going to work every time then the only way to do that is to drill the tank. There is a reason why people don't use HOB overflows. As far as float switchs they are so reliable that ATOs rely on two of them or some other type of switch as a back up. There is risk with a HOB overflow no matter how small it's still a risk and when it does fail you will have a flood.

ru4serious
12/27/2016, 05:43 AM
How do tell whether the glass is tempered or not? I bought the tank used.

kmbyrnes
12/27/2016, 05:58 AM
I currently run both. Why? Because the tanks I purchased were already plumbed that way. Do I worry more about the overflow box? Sure. But loss of siphon has never been an issue for me. I've always had 2 tube overflows and checking them is part of my daily routine.
If you are starting a build I think in tank overflow is a better option, but if the tank is tempered, it may not be possible.
Either method is viable.

Hoggwild
12/27/2016, 06:14 AM
My tank is 1/2 inch thick glass. Still drill-able?
I am fairly sure that it is not tempered but have to run the laptop/glasses test when its empty.
Then there is the sheer chore of getting it outside and then back inside. If I can get a few guys to move it for me I might just bring it to the local glass shop ;)

homer1475
12/27/2016, 06:20 AM
Purely out of curiosity, where in upstate NY are you located(everyone's perception of upstate is different).

Plumbers putty and a small bucket of water is all thats needed. no need to drag it outside, you can drill it right where it sits. Just flip it on its side.

It really is simple, and no where near as daunting as it sounds.

Hoggwild
12/27/2016, 06:49 AM
Near Poughkeepsie.

homer1475
12/27/2016, 07:00 AM
Still downstate to me :D

To me coming from the ADK mountains, anything north of Syracuse is upstate.

Seriously though, while HOB's work fine, its one more point of failure that will eventually happen. Drilling the tank is the way to go and will not fail you, ever. Well unless the bulkhead fails.

sde1500
12/27/2016, 07:16 AM
I run one from Eshopps, clean the utube every couple months and you shouldn't have any issue with siphon breaking. Get the Eshopps, or life reef one, they are more reliable and you don't need to rely on a lifter pump for them. The one I have run has been up around 1 year now, never has lost siphon, never has not restarted after either a power outage or me turning off the tank. I would caution that the Eshopps says it can handle more GPH than it actually can, so get one considerably larger than the GPH you want to run through it. What also helps reduce risk is sizing the sump so that the return section won't hold enough water to overflow the tank. Mine is set up that way, plus my ATO won't fill it for too long before turning off as well. Combined there is still a chance I may overflow the tank, can't be 100% certain since I don't want to actually test it. Yes, HOB is a bit riskier, but tends to be overblown IMO from a bunch of people that don't actually use them or have used them ever.

I will say though, that all being said, I'd drill if it was an option. I don't mind mine, but would prefer drilled 100%. My single drain is not ideal, I've modded it to be pretty quiet, but can't compare to a bean or herbie.

Hoggwild
12/27/2016, 09:31 AM
How do tell whether the glass is tempered or not? I bought the tank used.

Google it. The LCD/Polarized glasses seem to be the most popular way,

RobZilla04
12/27/2016, 09:37 AM
Do it right the first time and be done with it.

This ^

SFish
12/27/2016, 01:03 PM
It only takes one flood and then you'll be sorry you didn't drill the tank and it will probably happen when your gone or a sleep. That's when equipment loves to fail.

GimpyFin
12/27/2016, 03:26 PM
I run one from Eshopps, clean the utube every couple months and you shouldn't have any issue with siphon breaking. Get the Eshopps, or life reef one, they are more reliable and you don't need to rely on a lifter pump for them. The one I have run has been up around 1 year now, never has lost siphon, never has not restarted after either a power outage or me turning off the tank. I would caution that the Eshopps says it can handle more GPH than it actually can, so get one considerably larger than the GPH you want to run through it. What also helps reduce risk is sizing the sump so that the return section won't hold enough water to overflow the tank. Mine is set up that way, plus my ATO won't fill it for too long before turning off as well. Combined there is still a chance I may overflow the tank, can't be 100% certain since I don't want to actually test it. Yes, HOB is a bit riskier, but tends to be overblown IMO from a bunch of people that don't actually use them or have used them ever.

I will say though, that all being said, I'd drill if it was an option. I don't mind mine, but would prefer drilled 100%. My single drain is not ideal, I've modded it to be pretty quiet, but can't compare to a bean or herbie.

The Eshopps boxes are definitely one of the better ones for going the HOB route. I'd definitely prefer a drilled tank, but I have one on my small cube tank and it's been working perfectly for over 2 years with no issues. I just clean the U-tube periodically like mentioned above. The one thing you do need to be mindful of with them, though, is return flow. If you do start getting bubbles accumulate in the top of the U-tube, your return flow is too low for the U-tube size. (Smaller tube also works in lieu of more return flow.)

EvenFurther
12/27/2016, 07:25 PM
I think if you don't drill it now, you'll have serious regret later. The reasons to set up a fail safe drain far out weigh a HOB. IMO I wouldn't even set up a tank that size unless it ran a BA or Hebie drain with a sump.

I just drilled 10mm glass with ease. Always use a new bit, and don't drill too many holes with it, to error in the side of caution.

Hoggwild
12/28/2016, 02:46 PM
OK!! I'm going to drill. God help me.

ericarenee
12/28/2016, 03:09 PM
OK!! I'm going to drill. God help me.

Thats Goddess and only help i can provide being your so far away is Use a good drill bit Hold it straight and steady while keeping it wet ..

OHH and GOOD Luck..

People i work with call me the Framing,Drywall Goddess for real..