PDA

View Full Version : Ugh..3 day black out,Dino's coming back ,I don't get it!

Grkgod36
12/26/2016, 02:41 PM
So frustrated, so I had a pretty good breakout of Dino's a couple weeks ago . Did a 3 day black out ,(card boardeded it) hooked up a gfo reactor , and ran media bags with carbon in my sump.

After the 3days , tank was super clean .now they are starting to creep back . I don't get it . Changed all my rodi filters too.

I ran two different phosphate kits , Salifert, Red Sea, both came back undetectable! Clear , ran nitrates zip! I haven't done a water change either as they recommend not to while battling Dino's until eradicated .

I'm not over feeding I feed once a day only , and light poor fish running hungry lol.

So I can not pin point what the issue is...where it's coming from .
I'm running ocean revive led's, 10hr blues 4 hrs whites( but have been running same lights and schedule for 2 years)

Could it be my lights ? Should I increase the white intensity and cut then to 3 hrs ? I'm stumped

90 gal reef sps
40 gal sump fuge with Cheato
1025 salinity
1500 mag
480 calcium
6.8dkh( I know I have to bring it up a bit but I'm having a hell of a time even driping kalk)

Should I do another 3 days black out?

I'm also thinking of running that natural bio stuff from vibrant

Grkgod36
12/26/2016, 06:28 PM
Any one ?

reefrf
12/26/2016, 06:52 PM
How old is your reef tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neiltus
12/26/2016, 07:30 PM
There is a lot of discussion in the chemistry forum on dinos. Blackout periods will not touch most of them.

Grkgod36
12/26/2016, 07:59 PM
2years old .
Do you have a link to that specific thread ?

GQuinn
12/26/2016, 08:31 PM
2years old .
Do you have a link to that specific thread ?
Here you go

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000&highlight=dino

garygonzales
12/26/2016, 09:18 PM
i also had dinos kinda bad too..i did the 3 day black out and it also came back,,so i did another 3 to 4 day black out and it never came back...so im thinking it wouldnt hurt to do it again....it worked for me...

reefgeezer
12/27/2016, 11:15 AM
Stupid questions but...

Did you do lights out for the Cheato too?

Did you phase in the lights after the black-out?

scubadan206
12/27/2016, 04:34 PM
Dino's can feed off the iron in GFO. Quit that for a little while. I had to do three week blackout and then do about a 90% water change. The algae is taking up all the nutrients. You need to remove its power source [light]. Then remove its food to starve it out. You will be surprised at all the nutrients that are released when the algae is dead. you can remove any corals to another location if you're worried. Most soft corals will be just fine though.
Their are multiple types of algae so this will not work every time.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2428496

Lsufan
12/27/2016, 05:49 PM
Blackouts never worked for me for Dino's. It would look great when I turn the lights back on but would be worse then before after about 3 to 5 days. The thread Gquinn linked was a lot of help for me and gave me a bunch of ideas.

I believe it really depends on the strain of Dino that u have to whether what treatment will work on it. The first tank of mine that had it I battled for over a year & never could beat it. I decided to upgrade anyways so I broke the tank down. I tryed multiple blackouts, no water changes & a bunch of syphoning into a filter sock with no luck so I bought a bottle of Dino X & it did absolutely nothing eighther.

My other tank had it for around 6 months but I finally beat it by using the so called dirty method & dosing phyto & pods that was working for quite a few people in the thread that was posted. I believe they really got into this method on around page 40 or 50 of the thread. I knocked it way back by not doing water changes, syphoning into a filter sock & dosing phyto & pods but a small amount only on the sandbed hung around. After a month or so that it was only on the sandbed & nowhere else I decided to remove the sandbed. It completely went away after removing the sand but I waited around 2 months before I added new sand back. That was over a year ago & it hasn't been back since.

It was a battle but I finally beat it the second time around & it worked out ok because I like the new sandbed a lot better. I had Fiji pink sand & I went with tropic edens miniflakes when I put sand back in & I love the new sand. I really do believe that it depends on the strain of Dino u have as to how hard it will be to get rid of. All u can do is start with the easiest treatments & work your way up. Hopefully u have a strain of Dino that isn't to bad & a couple of blackouts will get rid of it.

It's been a while since I checked out the Dino thread so they may have came up with some new treatments since I had it

HidingReefer
12/27/2016, 07:15 PM
From my understanding the thing about blackouts is that they don't work, I do not have dino's so I cannot help you with beating them,but unless you find the root cause and eliminate it, the dino's will keep coming back
Good luck

kegogut
12/27/2016, 08:21 PM
I seem to get dinos one a year in the fall. When it happens I dose chemiclean and do a 3 day black out. Dinos disappear until next fall.