PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with your fish?

MiniReef10
12/26/2016, 02:46 PM
I have just completed and cycled a 40ft round saltwater fish pool. So far there's sand and live rock but that's it. I am wondering if it's safe to swim with your fish. I was thinking of adding lots of small fish putting on a wetsuit and snorkeling in it when completed. I need to know because if I can't swim in it i'll do sharks and rays instead. Also sorry to add so many questions this but would uv sterilizers make it more safe I don't know much about them.
thank you (:

ps: yes I know sharks need special care so please don't bring the topic up just discussion about the safety of swimming with fish.

tanked37
12/26/2016, 03:05 PM
Obviously clean off any chemicals (lotions, etc) you have on and with a wet suit in a system of that size I don't see any problem. You're probably gonna have to at some point to clean or move something. That's what they do at actual aquariums to clean, etc.

MiniReef10
12/26/2016, 03:11 PM
Awesome

Sk8r
12/26/2016, 04:50 PM
I've done it in a large marine installation in CA---snorkling, etc. Just watch lotions, aftershaves, etc and mind your party manners, but yes, you can.

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 05:42 PM
I would agree with the others . With that amount of water i cant see how you could contaminate it enough to hurt.Sounds like fun.. i have stood inside our pond and the cleaner wrasse pick at my skin. Now i have a long grabbie stick to reach the center...

davocean
12/26/2016, 05:59 PM
I agree lotions and oils most of us might not think about would probably be the biggest issue to worry about as in being harmful to fish or corals, and then of course you have to be careful about yourself and maybe getting scraped or something. especially if you keep anything that could release toxins.
Even if you did have sharks and rays most of the ones we typically keep would be mostly harmless, just don't step on a ray!

DeepSeaReefer94
12/26/2016, 06:53 PM
I want to see some pictures of the filtration system for this and of the tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 07:26 PM
I want to see some pictures of the filtration system for this and of the tanks

SO this is a tank that is 12 foot across i assume.... he said for foot circle not Diameter right ???

snorvich
12/26/2016, 07:40 PM
i have stood inside our pond and the cleaner wrasse pick at my skin.

They will also clean your teeth.:love2:

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 08:46 PM
They will also clean your teeth.:love2:

I will take your word for that....Nothing is swimming into my mouth.... :uzi:

DeepSeaReefer94
12/26/2016, 09:45 PM
SO this is a tank that is 12 foot across i assume.... he said for foot circle not Diameter right ???
I'm not shure. I would take it as 40ft across but I could see it being taken as 40ft around the outside. Now that I read it again I'm thinking it's 40ft around the outside.

MiniReef10
12/27/2016, 11:17 AM

It's 40 foot around and 25 feet across and the edges are round so I guess it's an oval. When I moved in the people built a pool for parties but I did a LOT of work on it and turned it into a giant aquarium

MiniReef10
12/27/2016, 11:19 AM
Just got some fiji green chromis in there and I think they like it.

vashawn
12/27/2016, 11:37 AM
dont pee in the water lol
takes some pic s

sde1500
12/27/2016, 11:45 AM
I would definitely make sure there are no chemicals on you, lotions perfumes etc, as everyone else has said. That being said..... DUDE you can't just post that you have a huge pool like that set up for saltwater and not do a build thread, or at least post a ton of pictures. Man that sounds awesome. Lets see it already!!

MiniReef10
12/27/2016, 02:10 PM
I would definitely make sure there are no chemicals on you, lotions perfumes etc, as everyone else has said. That being said..... DUDE you can't just post that you have a huge pool like that set up for saltwater and not do a build thread, or at least post a ton of pictures. Man that sounds awesome. Lets see it already!!

Sorry just figured out that there's problems with the lights. As soon as I get them up it will be light enough to take some pictures.

ktownhero
12/27/2016, 02:39 PM
Sorry just figured out that there's problems with the lights. As soon as I get them up it will be light enough to take some pictures.

We don't need lights, show some pictures of the set up

ericarenee
12/27/2016, 02:46 PM
It's 40 foot around and 25 feet across and the edges are round so I guess it's an oval. When I moved in the people built a pool for parties but I did a LOT of work on it and turned it into a giant aquarium

OK I am still very confused on the size if this thing

its 40 foot Circumference Oval shaped ..
Its 25 foot across... Is this from end Diameter of the longest point.??

That would make the tank

25x 6.5 foot there about. ?????
HOW DEEP IS IT ??

I am trying to picture this in my head ...

mcgyvr
12/27/2016, 05:09 PM
:uhoh3:

ericarenee
12/27/2016, 05:53 PM
:rolleye1::uhoh3:

MiniReef10
12/28/2016, 10:27 AM
OK I am still very confused on the size if this thing

its 40 foot Circumference Oval shaped ..
Its 25 foot across... Is this from end Diameter of the longest point.??

That would make the tank

25x 6.5 foot there about. ?????
HOW DEEP IS IT ??

I am trying to picture this in my head ...

It's a big oval 40 feet long 25 feet across and four feet deep. All the equipment is the garage next to it. I made three big tanks out of old aquarium glass 5'x2'x2' and about 150 gallons so the filtration is three giant sumps with refugiums. I made the protein skimmers myself to handle a large water volume. It was a lot of work but hoping it works to save a lot of money on filtration. Each one cleans about 5,000 gallons per hour. Not sure if it'll work but i'll have to see.

75mixedreef
12/28/2016, 10:48 AM
We need pictures, or at least a diagram, and total volume. It sounds like this will be sweet. Is this outdoors? Where are you located? Do you have any viewing windows into the sides. You could make something with a glass bottom for viewing, like a raft or a platform, that would really be sweet.

Just be careful of any territorial fish like tangs. If they get big enough, their barbs could really hurt. I would definitely stay away from lion fish as well because of their barbs as well. Always wear a wetsuit for protection.

ali1
12/28/2016, 10:53 AM
no pics... there is no such setup.

sde1500
12/28/2016, 11:24 AM
no pics... there is no such setup.

I know the volume and size seem crazy, but why do you claim this?

JamesHolt
12/28/2016, 11:27 AM
I would agree with the others . With that amount of water i cant see how you could contaminate it enough to hurt.Sounds like fun.. i have stood inside our pond and the cleaner wrasse pick at my skin. Now i have a long grabbie stick to reach the center...

You have pics of your pond ericarenee??

ericarenee
12/28/2016, 02:38 PM
You have pics of your pond ericarenee??

I do they are in my Google plus community

These are kinda old and before it was complete but you can see it exist..

https://plus.google.com/communities/104428704352763333430

I hope this link is ok to post here it does not compete in any way with this forum......

saf1
12/30/2016, 04:24 PM
Personally I'd recommend a warm water rinse / shower before you enter once it has life in it. This is what Disney and other aquariums that let the public dive in them. Monterey, Disney Florida, etc. Basic common sense - no lotion, gel in hair, perfume, etc. That is why I mentioned rinse before and of course after.

Also I would recommend a skin or 3 mm shortie suite, prefer full body though and always use it. You can disinfect / clean it like you would normal dive gear. Will also help remove body funk. Basically this is done at a lot of high traffic or environmentally protected areas that let people dive. Other than that be safe and have fun.

slief
01/02/2017, 10:12 AM
I did it in one of my tanks back in 1992. It was a "drunken" impulse move on my birthday celebration. Thankfully I had pictures to scan and immortalize the moment. I don't think the sharks let alone the 5' moray eel were too enamored by my stand though. I had ponds at the time in my garage but never swam in those.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/scan0001.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/scan0006.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/scan0005.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/scan0007.jpg

Reefable
01/02/2017, 01:11 PM
Pics pics pics man tht sounds awesome ya don't need to go anywhere for a vaca [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk