PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Black Box Light

mossimo654
12/26/2016, 06:32 PM
Hi all,

I have a 4' 55g mixed reef. I have a currents marine orbit setup which has been great for softies, but now i want to try growing more sps. Other than montis this rig has not been sufficient. I want to add supplemental lights, and After doing lot at of research I've settled on on earth "black box" unit from galaxy's hydro. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INM0J1M/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1482798579&sr=8-4&keywords=galaxyhydro It's only 16", so I'll only be growing higher light corals in the part of the tank that I covers.

My question is about mounting. All the mounting options I've found suggest the unit should be around a foot above the tank. However, since my orbit marine sits right above the tank, won't that unit significantly "shadow out" my new galaxy hydro? Does this not matter? Or should I figure out a way for the galaxy hydro to sit much closer to the water?

ericarenee
12/26/2016, 06:55 PM
Does this tank have a brace in the middle..
You are going to need two if these one for each side of the tank.. Also that tank is only 12 inch wide right ? you will not need the orbit marine at all with these lights one of them with the orbit in the middle would look really wrong..

mossimo654
12/26/2016, 07:35 PM
You are going to need two if these one for each side of the tank.. Also that tank is only 12 inch wide right ? you will not need the orbit marine at all with these lights one of them with the orbit in the middle would look really wrong..

It does have a brace in the middle.

You don't think this would work as "supplemental?" I was hoping not to have to replace my orbit marine as i like it and it's been an investment. I know one of these units won't cover the whole tank. I am planning on only growing sps in certain parts, so as for now I wouldnt need more than one. However you think having this unit as a supplemental light would be ridiculous?

I looked into getting t5hos for a supplemental light, but it seemed like with having to replace the bulbs so frequently that this would actually be the more budget friendly option.

mossimo654
12/26/2016, 07:46 PM
Does this tank have a brace in the middle..
You are going to need two if these one for each side of the tank.. Also that tank is only 12 inch wide right ?

Also yes it's 12"