PDA

View Full Version : setting up a tank with steel stand.

saiyan7702
12/26/2016, 11:59 PM
sup guys Ill be setting up my first reef tank with a steel stand that a local place is ordering for me. its a 125 gallon framed glass tank. Should i just set the tank right on the stand bare bones or lay down a sheet of plywood across the top.

here is a picture of the stand they are ordering for me. $90 bucks you can't really beat that.

RobZilla04
12/27/2016, 08:45 AM
You could do either. Are you going to skin the stand to hide all of the filtration and equipment below? Also I'd request the manufacturer to do a test of the stand. A 125 full weighs 1400 lbs.

MelloW33
12/27/2016, 08:49 AM
I drilled and threaded the top of my steel stand so that i could screw a piece of plywood to it. I would recommend having some sort of buffer between the steel and the tank.

Not sure what your plans are for "skinning" your stand but I purchased magnets from Amazon to fasten barnwood panels to mine. It turned out great.

AwesomeDavid
12/27/2016, 08:50 AM
Ether could work but a metal stand may rust from the saltwater.

RobZilla04
12/27/2016, 09:00 AM
I drilled and threaded the top of my steel stand so that i could screw a piece of plywood to it. I would recommend having some sort of buffer between the steel and the tank.

Not sure what your plans are for "skinning" your stand but I purchased magnets from Amazon to fasten barnwood panels to mine. It turned out great.

Now that I'd like to see a picture of!

jmm
12/27/2016, 09:16 AM
One of my tanks has a powder coated stainless steel stand. It came with an installed plywood top and a plywood shelf at the bottom. It was made by the same manufacturer that the tank was (Planet Aquariums).

scooters reef
12/27/2016, 11:51 AM
That appears to be angle iron instead of tube and corners not mitred, so only the front and back would actually be supporting the tank. I'd double check with the aquarium manufacturer on requirements to be sure, but I'd put some plywood on there to help support where the steel is lower on the ends.

Edit: I don't think I'd even trust that stand, but take that with a grain of salt because I tend to lean towards 10x overkill. My tank build is larger of course, but my stand is all 2x2 1/4" square tubing with plenty of additional cross braces and gussets in the corners.

saiyan7702
12/28/2016, 09:58 AM
Is it just me or does this stand look like a flimsy piece of garbage

saiyan7702
12/28/2016, 11:02 AM
That appears to be angle iron instead of tube and corners not mitred, so only the front and back would actually be supporting the tank. I'd double check with the aquarium manufacturer on requirements to be sure, but I'd put some plywood on there to help support where the steel is lower on the ends.

Edit: I don't think I'd even trust that stand, but take that with a grain of salt because I tend to lean towards 10x overkill. My tank build is larger of course, but my stand is all 2x2 1/4" square tubing with plenty of additional cross braces and gussets in the corners.

I managed to find the stand they are selling me. Here check it out tell me what you think.

http://www.petswarehouse.com/flex-weld-angle-iron-aquarium-stand-72-x-18in/

RobZilla04
12/28/2016, 01:57 PM
I managed to find the stand they are selling me. Here check it out tell me what you think.

http://www.petswarehouse.com/flex-weld-angle-iron-aquarium-stand-72-x-18in/

The stand in that link appears to be the same pic that you shared earlier. As others have said, I wouldn't trust 1400 lbs on it in my home.

scooters reef
12/29/2016, 08:22 AM
For a freshwater tank that sits peacefully I'm sure it technically has the strength for pure load bearing. However, I'm sure you'll be adding some kind of water movement and while things like an MP40 may not seem like much it's moving enough that you now have a dynamic load and not static. Then you'll have a mantis shrimp one day and be leaning over the tank while chasing it and adding your own moving weight. It may stand straight but I wouldn't trust it not to twist or go down left/right or front/back. I'm no engineer and I'm sure for liability reasons to cover themselves it has been shown to be enough, but enough to cover them may not be enough under ALL possible use. Craftsmanship would also be a worry. With so few small welds a single poor weld in a corner and it all comes down :(

It would likely be well worth your time to e-mail the link of that stand to a few local welding places and ask them for a quote of the same thing except with steel tubing, mitered corners on top so it's all flat, and ask how much more for powder coating instead of just paint. You may be surprised and it be more than reasonable.

RCS82
12/29/2016, 04:46 PM
Are you putting possibly thousands of dollars into a 6' reef tank and placing it on a 90 dollar stand?
I'm a welder and angle iron is great and all but the small stuff can be a little on the flimsy side. Square tube is the way and maybe even a gusset or 2 in some corners couldn't hurt.

Landshark61
12/29/2016, 05:05 PM
For a freshwater tank that sits peacefully I'm sure it technically has the strength for pure load bearing. However, I'm sure you'll be adding some kind of water movement and while things like an MP40 may not seem like much it's moving enough that you now have a dynamic load and not static. Then you'll have a mantis shrimp one day and be leaning over the tank while chasing it and adding your own moving weight. It may stand straight but I wouldn't trust it not to twist or go down left/right or front/back. I'm no engineer and I'm sure for liability reasons to cover themselves it has been shown to be enough, but enough to cover them may not be enough under ALL possible use. Craftsmanship would also be a worry. With so few small welds a single poor weld in a corner and it all comes down :(

It would likely be well worth your time to e-mail the link of that stand to a few local welding places and ask them for a quote of the same thing except with steel tubing, mitered corners on top so it's all flat, and ask how much more for powder coating instead of just paint. You may be surprised and it be more than reasonable.

I agree with this 100%. I would not put any tank larger than 75 gallons on a stand like this and personally would not trust any stand that is not tubular steel or made with 2x4, 2x6 and 4x4 construction. I like to sleep at night knowing that my tank does not end up on the floor.

saiyan7702
01/02/2017, 11:06 AM
what size square tubing should i ask them for ?

scooters reef
01/02/2017, 11:22 AM
There may be an engineer or three around here, but since I'm not one and the price difference was minimal I just went for overkill and knew I was covered. My tank is also from Miracles and one of the few who will honor a warranty when using a 3rd party stand as long as they approve the design and it's done by a licensed welder or carpenter. They also wanted overkill, beyond even their own steel stands, but is entirely understandable when willing to trust a 3rd party. Your tank is smaller, so I'd think 1 1/2" with a 1/4" wall would still be more than enough. Could go smaller, or thinner wall, if someone who can calculate comes along :) If you want to PM me your e-mail I can also forward you the .pdf drawing of mine showing the gussets, leveling feet, etc. as well if you want it just for ideas. As a welder RCS82 would likely have good input if he comes by again.

saiyan7702
01/02/2017, 11:53 AM

reef_aholic
01/02/2017, 08:17 PM
sup guys Ill be setting up my first reef tank with a steel stand that a local place is ordering for me. its a 125 gallon framed glass tank. Should i just set the tank right on the stand bare bones or lay down a sheet of plywood across the top.

here is a picture of the stand they are ordering for me. $90 bucks you can't really beat that.

I would be VERY eerie of that stand. it appears that it is made out of 1" angle iron. I hardly believe that this will support this tank. My 120 is sitting on a 1.25" heavy walled .125 steel tubing stand. I would not go with anything less than that.

BigDave
01/03/2017, 01:17 PM
There's a thread in the DIY section dedicated to steel stands. I'd start by reading that thread.

Me and a coworker built my steel stand. I have a 120 gallon cube and we used 1.5" square tubing that's 1/8" thick. I know I went overkill, but like someone else said, I want to sleep peacefully at night.

saiyan7702
01/03/2017, 05:23 PM
i just ended up buying a wooden Aquaeon stand thats the right size for the tank. told them to take back that flimsy grandmas house railing looking stand back.

paid 330 for wooden stand with 3 doors on it.

RobZilla04
01/03/2017, 05:59 PM
i just ended up buying a wooden Aquaeon stand thats the right size for the tank. told them to take back that flimsy grandmas house railing looking stand back.

paid 330 for wooden stand with 3 doors on it.

Good choice!