PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof sand

OurCoralReef
12/27/2016, 03:28 AM
So i was surfing online and came across a kids toy i have seen it before but i never thought more of it hydrophobic sand (water repelling sand) you make it by spraying a water repelling silicon on it and mixing multiple times
I thought if you spray some "reef" sand and use it in a fish only or reef tank it would be really awesome awesome no more detritus no more siphoning or anything else for that matter it would be like a bare bottom tank with a sandy bottom look
I don't know for some reason i think its really cool what do you guys think and do you know of anyone that has ever tried it

homer1475
12/27/2016, 05:04 AM
You would still have detritus buildup. Sure it would be easier to clean up. I might be worried about whatever is in the silicone spray that would harm the livestock. Also where is your nitrification bacteria going to adhere to(Yes I know 99% are in the rocks, but some do attach to the sandbed)? Also where would all the "reef bugs" that live in the sandbed going to live?

IDK it might work, just throwing out the ideas I had on it.

OurCoralReef
12/27/2016, 05:14 AM
You would still have detritus buildup. Sure it would be easier to clean up. I might be worried about whatever is in the silicone spray that would harm the livestock. Also where is your nitrification bacteria going to adhere to(Yes I know 99% are in the rocks, but some do attach to the sandbed)? Also where would all the "reef bugs" that live in the sandbed going to live?

IDK it might work, just throwing out the ideas I had on it.

So we use silicon to seal our tanks but thats 100% silicon i don't know if the spray is 100% silicon need to do more research on that

My detritus gets stuck in corners but with this stuff you can just round out the corners with good enough flow should = little to no detritus (buildup)

Well sand in general is a bad idea we do it for the looks but for the long run its more trouble than most of the pros want to deal with
Sand absorbs nitrates and other bad things in our water if there is not enough movement it will buildup and become toxic

Reef bugs and bacteria as you said will live in the rocks and sump can also be in media etc

Please note: I do have sand and Im not actually doing this but thought it is a really interesting topic

mcgyvr
12/27/2016, 04:03 PM
place sand in tank.. pour over clear epoxy (like they use to make those bar tables with stuff "embedded" in it)..
or do it outside the tank in a "mold" of similar size so you can always remove it..

like this stuff..
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-Table-Top-Resin-Included/dp/B007GDUZAE

But if you have suitable water movement/sand creatures (cucumber/snails), etc... you shouldn't need to siphon or have detritus build up.. I've never siphoned sand and never have areas where it builds up at all..

OurCoralReef
12/27/2016, 06:43 PM
Guys just a note i thought this was a nice idea im not actually doing this (unless i set up a controlled small tank to test it out) i like sand and i siphon mine in build up spots as part of my maintenance routine
I have a fully stocked CUC tons of snails a sand sifting star cucumber couple of hermits (besides for the CUC that grows in the tank pods and bristle worms etc)
I never heard of someone not having any detritus at all unless they don't have sand and are blasting the bottom of the tank with a powerhead
how do you do it whats the method and what equipment do you use