PDA

View Full Version : How to make Blue Hippo Tang eat

oneilwiz
12/27/2016, 11:38 AM
Happy holiday everyone,

I just recently acquired two new fish which are currently being quarantined: Blue Hippo Tang and a Sailfin Tang, Desjardini. Both have been in QT for 1week 1 day now. I dosed Prazipo for the week and now going just the usual water after 50% water change. Any thoughts or ideas how to get them to eat ? I tried green seaweed with Garlic but no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericarenee
12/27/2016, 12:33 PM
Happy holiday everyone,

I just recently acquired two new fish which are currently being quarantined: Blue Hippo Tang and a Sailfin Tang, Desjardini. Both have been in QT for 1week 1 day now. I dosed Prazipo for the week and now going just the usual water after 50% water change. Any thoughts or ideas how to get them to eat ? I tried green seaweed with Garlic but no luck

I would skip the garlic.. and i think that medication suppresses there appetite.Also offer them some meaty foods . be sure they have plenty of places to hide away from each other and kinda dim lights at this point.. They should come around and start eating soon...

oneilwiz
12/27/2016, 04:09 PM
OK thanks you I will try again this even, now that they should be swimming in water all day that is almost free of Prazipo.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ali1
12/27/2016, 04:12 PM
Kudos for QT

ncaldwell
12/27/2016, 05:11 PM
I've always had good luck getting picky tangs and butterflys to eat with frozen bloodworms. Also the red Julian sprungs sea veggies works for me to get them looking at the clips for nori

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jayball
12/27/2016, 06:03 PM
If you have a LFS that has live blackworms or live brine shrimp they are both good stopgaps until they eat frozen and nori. The wiggle or swimming of the live food entices the fish to strike even if they are not feeling hungry

oneilwiz
12/27/2016, 07:03 PM
thanks guys,

I came home and try feeding them with some PE Mysis Shrimp, I also put one drop of the Garlic Extreme in the water but no longer they just swim to the food look at it and move on. The funny thing is that they don't look meager, still look fat. I couldn't find any marking on their coat. I also added some carbon to the filter since I already did a 50% water change today.

I will try to buy some Red Nori and or worms. I hope I can do this tomorrow, since I work in Manhattan which doesn't have any fish stores I am aware of on the East side. By the time I get home pet stores will be closed :(

kegogut
12/27/2016, 07:27 PM
I just had the same problem with a potters angel I picked up. The key is variety. I used live brine shrimp,PE mysis, Rods food, cyclopeeze (sp), Doc's eco eggs,and even tossed a bottle of pods into the tank. He's eating like a champ now but it took a wide variety to get him into eating prepared food.

oneilwiz
12/27/2016, 07:38 PM
I just had the same problem with a potters angel I picked up. The key is variety. I used live brine shrimp,PE mysis, Rods food, cyclopeeze (sp), Doc's eco eggs,and even tossed a bottle of pods into the tank. He's eating like a champ now but it took a wide variety to get him into eating prepared food.

Interesting! , sure do wish I was still in college to ditch a class to go to the pet shop [emoji23][emoji23].

ca1ore
12/27/2016, 08:10 PM
Also, keep in mind that the hippo tang is more of an omnivore, preferring to feed from the water column rather than grazing. Agree with prior comments on variety; not limited to college students either. Stores actually stay open longer for we working folks :) Another 'trick' is to add a power head to get the food moving. Encourages feeding response.

oneilwiz
12/28/2016, 04:47 AM
Also, keep in mind that the hippo tang is more of an omnivore, preferring to feed from the water column rather than grazing. Agree with prior comments on variety; not limited to college students either. Stores actually stay open longer for we working folks :) Another 'trick' is to add a power head to get the food moving. Encourages feeding response.

Thank you well noted, I have a powerhead running in the tank. Hopefully this evening I can get them to eat. I will go on a hunt today to find red seaweed nori in Manhattan

Vinny Kreyling
12/28/2016, 08:13 AM
https://manhattanaquariums.myshopify.com/

oneilwiz
12/28/2016, 05:29 PM
Well good evening everyone,

I picked some red seaweed today at Petco in the City, came home happy as a Kid. Came home to a different atmosphere :( , Both tangs covered with little white spots. Guess its time to treat with Copper.Any recommended brands to treat ick ? still no luck in getting them to eat that red Seaweed. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and help, as you can see this is my first time QT and encountering ick as well.

snorvich
12/31/2016, 04:22 AM
In a 75 gallon tank?

ru4serious
12/31/2016, 09:55 AM
Search cupramine or chloroquine phosphate

oneilwiz
01/12/2017, 05:04 AM
Happy Thursday,

Good news to share, my Tang start to eat this is week 2 of Cupramine but overall 3 weeks since fish in QT. Tang eating both Nori and my did shrimp.

LED Jack
01/13/2017, 09:16 AM
I am a firm believer that a Q tank causes the fish undue stress and if your main tank is the right size and healthy you are much better off just adding the fish to the main display and foregoing the quarantine process.

I am setting up a 4' 120 and will not quarantine a single fish and will log every detail of my build.

pfan151
01/16/2017, 12:11 AM
I am a firm believer that a Q tank causes the fish undue stress and if your main tank is the right size and healthy you are much better off just adding the fish to the main display and foregoing the quarantine process.

I am setting up a 4' 120 and will not quarantine a single fish and will log every detail of my build.

Not QTing a blue tang is most likely going to bring ich into a display. Seems crazy to me to not treat them for ich prior to going to the display.

LED Jack
01/16/2017, 11:51 AM
It is not uncommon to have a tank full of healthy fish with only a single one exhibiting signs of ick. So introducing ick to a tank does not bother me in the least.

oneilwiz
01/17/2017, 03:40 AM
I am happy I did QT the tang because he did indeed have a lot of disease