PDA

View Full Version : Reef Fishes - Be Careful What You Wish For

jda
12/28/2016, 04:59 PM
I know that many, many people want bonded pairs of fish and stuff. However, about once a month, I want to kill my Watanabei Pair as they dig up the substrate to make a nest.

Funny how one man's desire is another man's poison in this hobby.

Sorry... just wanted to vent.

Half Vaped
12/28/2016, 08:22 PM
Sweet, you have a mating pair of Genicanthus Angels. I thought I read somewhere that Genicanthus males tend to turn female without a harem to control. How long have you had them? Pictures?

ThRoewer
12/28/2016, 09:32 PM
Since when do angels make nests? They are pelagic spawners.
Whatever they do in the substrate has nothing to do with nests and spawning.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bret61081
12/28/2016, 10:37 PM
I agree with ThRoewer....when I had a trio and they used to do the mating dance, they chased each other around and swam side by side over and over again. I dont think they are making nest....I be looking more for flukes if they are rubbing on the bottom. Mine never once touched the sand.

snorvich
12/29/2016, 08:08 AM
Since when do angels make nests? They are pelagic spawners.
Whatever they do in the substrate has nothing to do with nests and spawning.

This.

jda
12/29/2016, 03:25 PM
Every few months for 6+ years they make a tornado and stir all of my sand up on the right side of the tank and coat everything in a thin layer. Every once in a while, the female gets beat up a bit.

snorvich
12/29/2016, 04:27 PM
Every few months for 6+ years they make a tornado and stir all of my sand up on the right side of the tank and coat everything in a thin layer. Every once in a while, the female gets beat up a bit.

They are hungry and looking for food.

jda
12/29/2016, 05:13 PM
No they are not, or they would do it every day... and they would not have grown the nearly full since since I have owned them. It is part of their mating dance. It is not mistakable.

You know, I am sorry that I even posted this. I am so glad that everybody know so much without even really having any, except for Brett who did say that he saw them dance in their tank.

FWIW - my bellus pair dances too, but they don't do it near the sand. They are also not as big yet.

BTW - for anybody who is not just internet smart who might be reading this, be prepared with a screen top or tank cover since any of my watanabei or bellus can get airborne some when they are dancing.

Half Vaped
12/29/2016, 06:05 PM
No need to be upset. From what I read, it sounds like you were mistaking their mating dance as them making a nest. Then the others were correcting you that Angels don't make nests. Adding some pics or better yet, a video might have made things clearer.

I have a single female Bellus now. I'm kinda interested in a pair, but I don't like the look of the male Bellus. The male Watanabe, on the other hand, I think is beautiful.

I might try a Watanabe pair, maybe a trio some day. But my tank is at max capacity, so it will be a long while (hopefully) before a vacancy opens up.

ThRoewer
12/29/2016, 07:31 PM
I've had quite a few spawning dwarf angels (the "Genicanthus" genus is just a sub family of the larger Centropyge family) so I know from first hand experience how they spawn. The jumping is due to insufficient height of the tank. It's the moment when they actually spawn.