PDA

View Full Version : Too cheap for an all tempered 75 Gallon aquarium?

EthanHawaii
12/28/2016, 06:02 PM
So the 75 Gallon SeaPora (made by DEEP BLUE) aquarium I'm thinking about buying can't have tempered glass on the back because I'm going to be drilling it, so when I when't to the LFS to have a look at the tank I saw that the bottom of the tank has a mark saying tempered glass (which is fine) but I couldn't find that mark anywhere else on the other panels of the glass, so would that mean it's not tempered on the sides but is on the bottom? The tank is $230 CAN or $170 USD so wouldn't that be too cheap for an all tempered glass aquarium?

Thanks
Ethan

mjstech
12/28/2016, 08:56 PM
Hard to tell cheapness or whatever. But there are guides to check if glass is tempered online. Allglass (Petco/petsmart) will say tempered bottoms. But from time to time I think people have said they will use what they have and can have other panels will tempered glass.

EvenFurther
12/28/2016, 10:03 PM
Personally I would never drill glass without checking to see if its tempered. The polarized lens with LCD back light test works if you do it correctly. Just ask to do the test before you buy, or ask a fellow reefer to do it at the LFS with you.

The sticker is generally referring to the panel its on, unless it has some other specific description. Other tank makers like Aqueon say that production might use tempered where its standard to use non-tempered. So never assume with their brand, unless it's a small size.

EthanHawaii
12/29/2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies.

So I contacted DEEP BLUE and they gave me a link to DEEP BLUE/SeaPora aquarium specifications, the tank I'm looking at has tempered glass on the bottom but not on any of the other glass panels, they also say:

"Tempered panels are marked with a small, white, round silkscreen emblem near the edge of a panel near a seam.
search panels thoroughly for this emblem prior to drilling."

so this leads me to believe that all of their tempered glass panels must have this logo on, but I'm still going to use the sunglass and LCD screen method before I drill.

If anyones interested in checking this out for themselves here's the link (my tank number is 11075):

http://deepblueprofessional.com/resources.html

Ethan

mickey204
01/05/2017, 10:10 AM
To be honest I haven't seen a full tempered aquarium before. Only non-tempered and tanks with tempered bottoms.

All you have to do is think about a rock slide or anything of substance hitting that glass.

Tempered - Boom, explosion.

Non-Tempered - Chip, crack, or nothing. Most of the time it's nothing.

If it does crack, you probably have enough time to save the livestock. Keyword - Probably.