PDA

View Full Version : Heater for a 300dd?

RadagastWizard
12/29/2016, 12:32 AM
What heaters do you guys use for your big tank?

I'm setting up a 300dd soon and I was thinking 2x300watt Jagers

This tank will be in my basement which is insulated but mid winter like this the temp in the basement would be 60-65 without a space heater

criticalencore
12/29/2016, 05:59 AM
I use a 1000w heater from jehmco but you need a controller like an apex or something to turn it off and on. My total volume is 1100g and it holds up no problem. It is 10 amps when it turns on though..

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

MBC2012
12/29/2016, 06:35 AM
Curious to see your responses. Im in the same boat as you. I just got my 8' 315 gal and am almost done buying equipment.

Love the Jagers and many people stand by them. Will you be running a controller? Just in case one craps out on you and stays on you will be notified? If one of those sticks on it will fry your tank given enough time.

I think I am leaning toward 2 - 250 watt heaters. You will need both of them to heat the tank and If one sticks on it will not be enough to cook the tank.

ebushrow
12/29/2016, 06:54 AM
IMO the most important piece of equipment for heating and cooling is the controller....I actually went with a ST international heater from Amazon due to the body being quartz instead of glass or titanium....better than glass for breakage and won't carode like titanium will over time...as long as the controller is working, the heater will...it has no way to be controlled without the controller ....I currently use 2 -450 watt units (1-as a back up on my 300)

Kaidman
12/29/2016, 07:54 AM
I'm using 3x Jager 300w on my 300 gallon. I could almost get by with two, but it takes a long time to raise the temperature without the third. My tank is in our main living area which we keep between 68-72 depending on the season. I think you might have a hard time getting yours up to temperature with just two in your basement. Also suggest a controller like the others have stated.

Psirex
12/29/2016, 08:11 AM
2 Finnex 800 watt heaters

posted using alternating currents.....

worm5406
12/29/2016, 08:35 AM
I have Finnex 800 heaters also. I am working with about 300+ gal.

One can handle the entire load it's self but two helps keep it uniform and quicker to maintain temperature.

I use the Finnex controller and have an apex controlling the power outlet, for dual control. I have mine set so that the apex turns on and off first. If that gets stuck the Finnex, and its separate temp probe will kick in and control it.

Psirex
12/29/2016, 08:44 AM
I have Finnex 800 heaters also. I am working with about 300+ gal.

One can handle the entire load it's self but two helps keep it uniform and quicker to maintain temperature.

I use the Finnex controller and have an apex controlling the power outlet, for dual control. I have mine set so that the apex turns on and off first. If that gets stuck the Finnex, and its separate temp probe will kick in and control it.
Same here.....

posted using alternating currents.....

RadagastWizard
12/29/2016, 01:43 PM
I will probably go with the finnex controller