PDA

View Full Version : ID - Cowrie?

rogeragrimes
12/29/2016, 03:46 AM
Found this guy crawling my front glass of my display tank, when I came down early this morning (5AM, dark). When I grabbed him with some forceps, part of him felt hard, like rock. I picked him and put in my QT, and within a minute disappeared.

CCWS
12/30/2016, 10:14 PM
Looks alot like a cowrie. I had a tiger cowrie for a while until he decided to eat my corals. This one does not look like a tiger corie however.

rogeragrimes
01/05/2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks for looking and replying

rogeragrimes
01/10/2017, 12:38 PM
I found him again, this time in his shell so you can see his shell and hopefully help me identify the cowrie species.

pagojoe
01/10/2017, 08:31 PM
It's a Naria, and looks like Naria spurca, but is probably Naria acicularis. For many years N. acicularis was considered a subspecies, and can be very similar...but, N. acicularis is found in Florida and N. spurca isn't.

rogeragrimes
01/11/2017, 07:24 AM
It's a Naria, and looks like Naria spurca, but is probably Naria acicularis. For many years N. acicularis was considered a subspecies, and can be very similar...but, N. acicularis is found in Florida and N. spurca isn't.

Thanks so much for the ID. I live in FL so it must be N. acicularis. Thanks again.