PDA

View Full Version : Help with flow in a 350G

mike810
12/30/2016, 12:57 AM
Hey guys,

Need some advice regarding flow in my new build. I'm building a 350G 8x3x2. It will be a SPS dominant tank. All my previous tanks have had powerheads on the viewing panel. This time around, I would like to avoid that and place all my powerheads on the rear panel.

I already ordered four MP40QD's. I was debating between the mp40 vs. the mp60. I chose to go with the mp40's since I could not angle the PH that they would only push water 3ft back to front.

I also plan to use two Tunzes 6255 on the rear also. They're still brand new in the box and wondering if I made the right choice to go with the mp40's instead of the mp60's. I would probably go with 3-4 mp60s but was thinking this might be overkill since it didn't have to push the water over a long distance.

What do you guys think? Was my choice sound or should I return them and go with the 60's instead and why? I want to get this right before my window to return the pumps pass.

savethereef
12/30/2016, 01:26 AM
My tank is 8x3x2.5T and i wish i would of gone with two MP60 one on each end. and two tunze turbelles. but i have four tunzes. i get good flow but the wires really kill it. i would also push from side to side instead of back to front. but it all depends on overflow and aqua scape. i am currently redoing my tank and will go this route

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

criticalencore
12/30/2016, 06:39 AM
I run one of the jeabo wp60s in the corner of my 550g tank but my main source of flow besides the return pump is a closed loop ran from a reeflo hammerhead. There are no wires just bulkheads across my back glass and an intake pipe hidden behind rock

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

marinelife
12/30/2016, 05:51 PM
I have a 375 with
2 Tunze Stream 6105s with the Tunze 7096 Controller on the ends of the tank.
return pump is a Waveline Apex Ready DC10000II water pump
closed loop system with a Ecotech Marine Vectra L1 pump.
a Maxspect Gyre XF280 Wavemaker Pump with Advanced Controller
a Second Maxspect Gyre XF280 Wavemaker Pump

So far this is working get for SPS corals

MrsReefK
12/30/2016, 06:03 PM
I have an 8' 290g and run 2 MP60's with SPS and they are doing great. I'm only operating them in a range from 40-60%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT_BRS
12/30/2016, 07:04 PM
On my 300DD I ran two MP60's on the side panels and 2 MP40's on the rear panels. If you have a sand bed planned you will likely have some major sand dunes/bare spots in the front of that tank going with strictly MP60's on the back. I think the 40's are a good choice, and the larger Tunzes will help to bolster the flow. It's probably not an issue, but don't forget to factor in glass thickness as well.

mike810
12/30/2016, 07:10 PM
On my 300DD I ran two MP60's on the side panels and 2 MP40's on the rear panels. If you have a sand bed planned you will likely have some major sand dunes/bare spots in the front of that tank going with strictly MP60's on the back. I think the 40's are a good choice, and the larger Tunzes will help to bolster the flow. It's probably not an issue, but don't forget to factor in glass thickness as well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The glass is 3/4" thick so the mp40s should be good. That is another reason why I did not go with the mp60's because I figure the sand would be blown away with that much flow with a 3' distance back to front.

I will stick with the mp40s and two tunze 6255 for now. If I really have to then maybe I'll add a gyre on the sides down the road. I really hate to put a power head on a viewing panel.