PDA

View Full Version : New carpet - how to tear down the tank?

schnebbles
12/30/2016, 05:48 PM
This sounds like a hassle! What's the best thing to do? I wish I could just carpet around it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davocean
12/30/2016, 06:02 PM
Tank size might help for best advice, but usually you can just drain tank into brutes and probably slide it to where you need it, then pump water back in, may need to pull rock too depending on size and setup/scape

billdogg
12/30/2016, 06:47 PM
Tank size might help for best advice, but usually you can just drain tank into brutes and probably slide it to where you need it, then pump water back in, may need to pull rock too depending on size and setup/scape

What Dave said. I moved my 60g cube from the living room to the study in all of 45 minutes. I left the rock and sand in place. Me and a buddy picked up the tank, the wife dragged the stand to the new location and we set the tank down. Refilled it and tossed the fish in. Nothing to it.

schnebbles
12/30/2016, 08:57 PM
only 40g - just sounds like a pain!

GoVols
12/30/2016, 11:13 PM
What Dave said. I moved my 60g cube from the living room to the study in all of 45 minutes. I left the rock and sand in place. Me and a buddy picked up the tank, the wife dragged the stand to the new location and we set the tank down. Refilled it and tossed the fish in. Nothing to it.
+1

Like this: "the wife dragged the stand" (priceless)

billdogg
12/31/2016, 07:52 AM
+1

Like this: "the wife dragged the stand" (priceless)

Well, since I couldn't convince her to help my buddy lift the tank............:spin1:

kaz1961
12/31/2016, 08:22 AM
Take out enough water so that you can lift one side. Put two of those sliders from Home Depot under the corners, repeat for the other side. You can then easily slide the tank out of the way. I did this with a 75 gallon with no problem. Or you can do like my Father-in-law did and just have the new carpeting installed around the stand. You would never know the carpet doesnt go under the stand. Just be sure you keep the tank there for the life of the carpet!

Cliving1
12/31/2016, 08:37 AM
You can drain the water into a brute container or something with wheels. Move the water and tank to temporary or full time location and refill.

WatDatThing
12/31/2016, 10:19 AM
Well, since I couldn't convince her to help my buddy lift the tank............:spin1:

:lol:

Sk8r
12/31/2016, 10:47 AM
We put down laminate, same problem, with a piano, a credenza, a 50 gallon and a 105 gallon all of which had to move. The tank and stand alone on the 105 weigh 800 lbs.
First thought we'd hire local (not chain) movers to come out and position the items on the stripped floor, then have them come back to put them on it.
Then two ladies decided to diy the job.
Solution: a really strong (not pot-metal or tube-steel) dolly, something that could move a fridge or stove---the thinnest plywood sheets they sell at home depot---and several Brute containers with pump. (They sell bottom rollers for Brutes).
We drained the tanks down, leaving fish in, but removing most rock and corals to Brutes.
We used a dolly to lift the edge of a tank to slip glides under it in several places: hint: 3 people doing this would be safer, so as not to have a tank tip over.
We slid the tank to the hard surface side of the floor, off the carpet, which we had cut up, and finished the floor in that area. (rewatered the tank in the interim and used air pumps in the waiting coral bins) Then we laid down a piece of that highly flexible plywood and used it as a micro-ramp to get the tank back up onto the new floor.
WOrked like a charm.

Most carpeting operations use tape to butt two carpet pieces . If you speak sternly to the carpet layers and bribe them, they can lay pad and carpet on one side of the room, take a break while you reposition your tank onto the new carpet, then resume work on the floor when done.
Here's a photo of our larger tank in progress. You can see the thin plywood ramp, and the tank and stand have just been moved back onto the new laminate floor.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/690.jpg

schnebbles
12/31/2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks everyone! I never thought of those sliders.

Sk8er - that was a great idea!

Denbf58
01/01/2017, 09:41 AM
you don't want carpet under the stand anyway. carpet around and save the piece for later