PDA

View Full Version : Cursed tank?

Firefenex
12/30/2016, 07:32 PM
I've had a 40breeder fish tank over 4 years with little to no success. I only use ro/di water, my ammonia nitrate, nitrite, are all undetectable. Salinity at 1.225 and Temp siting at 78 currently. But I'm always having issues.

If you don't want the full story; my problems consist of maintaining ph which is always low, and growing/keeping alive coral and fish, plus algae blooms occasionally.

Goals out of this post:
Maintain ph as a permanent solution instead of constantly dosing, reduce algae, fish and coral growth and longevity. All this with relatively affordable methods and 1 time fixes. ( if I have to constantly dose, I'd rather look for other methods before settling)

After about 2 years of not having any fish I felt like it was time. So I had moved my one orange spotted watchman goby over to my 40 gallon tank. He has been to hell and back and has survived in this tank for months. About a week ago I bought 2 clowns thinking they were hardy enough to survive. 1 died after 3 days of heavy breathing and the other I just found dead 7 days later (my guess is from a ph problem because is read 7.4 this morning). So I'm super ****ed and looking for solutions.

On the coral side of things. I have a thriving mushroom colony which started with 2 head and now has around 7 after maybe 4 months. A orange chalice coral which seems to just survive, no signs of dying or growth. But I did lose a 2 mushroom colonies and a favia all bought at the same time 4 months ago. Lastly a torch about 2 weeks old which shows full extention.

After all these deaths and money spent bring up my main concern of being able to have coral and fish thrive. I don't want to put things in my tank knowing they won't last long just to have a fully decorated tank like many people do. I want to be successful so I am open to suggestions. My biggest problem is that I'm a college student who has his dad looking after the main tank till I'm our of college in 2 years.

Other possible helpful info:
2 coralife dual t5 36" with 4 month old bulbs. 2 actinic 2 10 daylights
800gph power head,
Coralife super skimmer hob 65
Emperor 400 filter with phosphate floss
Water changes don't have a set schedule but usually atleast once every week and a half. (More if algae bloom starts)
Glass cover because my dad won't allow it to be uncovered

Tank is located in a area about 20 ft from a wall with doors and windows but they are always covered and unless I am home no one goes to on a regular basis ( I'm skeptical that this might be the ph problem)

So for the cluttered mess called my post, I went back and forth editing to make sure I include as much info as you may need. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/179d336c0fcc6dd8f6636df7f16494e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ClownsRCoo
12/30/2016, 07:39 PM
Is salinity 1.225 or 1.025?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefenex
12/30/2016, 07:41 PM
Is salinity 1.225 or 1.025?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1.022 sorry, typo

Vinny Kreyling
12/31/2016, 08:08 AM
Covered means very limited gas exchange & IMHO could be the source of your troubles since there is no sump.

Nandez13
12/31/2016, 08:53 AM
Low salinity and oxygen exchange are things you can look into.

Firefenex
12/31/2016, 09:30 AM
Covered means very limited gas exchange & IMHO could be the source of your troubles since there is no sump.
I've personally never wanted a cover but it's not in my apartment so, I'll have convince my dad to let it stay off. I think he cares more about the humidity it'll let off do to evaporation than anything else.

Firefenex
12/31/2016, 09:35 AM
Low salinity and oxygen exchange are things you can look into.
As for salinity I just keep it at around .022-.023 because that's the middle of the safe zone on my hydrometer. But if that's a major problem I can keep it high

NewOne81
12/31/2016, 09:48 AM

This was my thought as well

125mph
01/01/2017, 04:54 PM
This was my thought as well

Very likely an oxygen problem.. However, shouldnt the skimmer give enough gas exchange?

Maybe point one of the pumps up so you get a lot of surface agitation to see if that improves.

outssider
01/02/2017, 05:41 PM
whoever told you that 1.022-1.023 is correct for a reef is wrong. That's ok for fish only but not a reef. Shoot for 1.026 and use a calibrated (with calibration fluid) refractometer. check refractometer calibration before every use.