PDA

View Full Version : what is the average life span of a fish in captivity

buraccha
12/31/2016, 03:39 PM
hi,

the title says all.

I know that they live longer in captivity but how many years?
Also, what is the life span of a snowflake moray eel in captivity?

thank you & happy new year!:hb2:

mrc.foz
12/31/2016, 04:25 PM
I had an Paracanthurus hepatus who lived for 14 years

Enviado de meu Nexus 6 usando Tapatalk

fijisrfr
12/31/2016, 04:31 PM
My clowns have been with me 12 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scubabum
12/31/2016, 04:57 PM
My clown has been with me 23 years. I can't believe it. My favorite fish. Here is a pic.

https://s29.postimg.org/q3ahkpslz/tank_copy.jpg

snorvich
01/01/2017, 05:22 PM
Depends on environment provided.

pfan151
01/01/2017, 06:04 PM
really comes down mostly to who buys the fish. If you take all factors into account then the average lifespan for most fish is much longer in the wild.

Osric
01/01/2017, 06:55 PM
I know that they live longer in captivity but how many years?
Also, what is the life span of a snowflake moray eel in captivity?

I don't think it's true at all that fish live longer in captivity. Lifespan will depend on a lot of factors and the question can't even be attempted without knowing what species of fish you are talking about. As an example, a clownfish in the wild is 30+ years, in aquaria I think 10 is very respectable (see the other poster whose clown is 12 - nice!)

Some web searching would suggest that a snowflake moray should make it at least four years, and perhaps as many as 15 years in captivity.

LukFox
01/01/2017, 09:24 PM
I've seen eels make it to 30 years on the high end of the range. Not sure about the snowflake exactly, but I'd expect up to 30.

carrots
01/02/2017, 06:46 PM
I had a Majestic Angel that lived for 17 years. He would be still going strong if I didn't mix up my RO water with Kalkwasser water. PH spike killed him and a 15 year old Powder Blue Tang.

scooter31707
01/03/2017, 09:36 AM
My buddy has a Emperor going on 13 years. All his other fish has been with him around 9-10 years.

Silly clownfish
01/03/2017, 07:36 PM
I don't know about averages, but here's the age of some of my older tank inhabitants:
Ocelaris clown - going on 19 years, she is TR and was aboth 6 months old when I got her

Flame hawk -18 year
Purple serpent star -17 years
Coral banded shrimp and brittle star- 10 years

All still going strong.

anbosu
01/04/2017, 09:12 AM
Many fish, given the proper environment, can live more than 10 years in captivity. I'm not convinced how long some fish like wrasses and anthias live, but angels, tangs, clowns, & eels all can live for decades in captivity.

humaguy
01/04/2017, 10:10 AM
This article is almost 5 years old.

The sixbar angelfish, Pomacanthus sexstriatus, is one of the lesser known species of large angelfish although it is a very common species where it is exported from the Philippines. What the sixbar angelfish might lack in ostentatious coloration it makes up with undemanding care requirements, and a tenacity for life as exemplified by the record breaking 40 year old specimen living at the Nancy Aquarium in France.

Well known for long-lived angelfish and butterflyfish species, the Nancy Aquarium first received this sixbar angelfish December 18, 1971 at which time it was only 14cm, or about 5.5 inches long. Over the last four decades the Nancy Aquarium’s sixbar angelfish has grown to a size of 30cm (15 inches) and it currently resides in a 10,000 liter (1600 gallon) aquarium stocked primarily as a display of large and old reef fish.

Although sixbar angelfish can grow to be 18 inches long, we assume this guy is done growing. If this Pomacanthus sexstriatus has lived in captivity for over 41 years and it was already a medium size when collected from the wild, this particular fish is probably 45 years old, maybe more. For comparison that means this sixbar angelfish is more than a decade older than this author!

In addition to the longevity record that the Nancy Aquarium has obtained with this forty year old sixbar angelfish, they deserve additional accolades for keeping this fish in prime condition, with not a scar of its body, nick of its fins or any hint of HLLE anywhere on the middle aged reef fish. Huge props to the skilled and experienced fish keepers at the Nancy Aquarium and the next time you think your fish is old, just remember that there is a sixbar angelfish out there that’s been cruising its aquarium as long as Greenpeace and NASDAQ have been in existence.

TitanTV
01/06/2017, 05:24 PM
I have had my Titan Trigger, Nacho, for about 10 years now

McPuff
01/09/2017, 07:51 AM
I have had my Titan Trigger, Nacho, for about 10 years now

Nacho! How perfect!

My pink spot watchman goby is over 12 years old... I've had him that long and he was not much smaller, just skinnier at the time. Seems fatter and happier than ever.