PDA

View Full Version : Questions before diving back in.

Posidion
12/31/2016, 07:21 PM
Ok so it's been awhile since I was last in view of the ocean. Recently I have moved into what my wife and i think will be the last home we intend to buy. So long story short i rid us of tanks and equipment in 07/08 roughly. New home needs water front view from my chair. There is a spot between kitchen and family room where a peninsular room dividing tank would be perfect. Dims 85"long *30"wide *24" deep. A single tank this size will more than dubble my old 100gal display. I guess where I'm going is I've been away almost a decade not keeping up with foward progress what has the new tech done for tanks this size. Skimmers, lights, pumps ect. And one big question before this could even begin, glass or acrylic.

worm5406
01/01/2017, 11:37 AM
IMO Glass.

DasCamel
01/01/2017, 01:24 PM
Everything has improved in the last decade. Automation, lights(LED), power heads options, energy efficiency, .... endless. Ask away with specific questions.

I'm a bigger fan of acrylic, lighter, better light transmission, repairable. Can last decades with care.

dave.m
01/01/2017, 02:01 PM
Better yet, get some books on the topic. The most recent are Mr. Saltwater Tank's (http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/).Then use Internet opinions to fill in any gaps or questions you may have. A well-rounded knowledge base makes you better prepared before paying (and paying and paying) for all new equipment and livestock.

Dave.M