Trying to get problems fixed
ALK 7.7 dKH
Mag 1360 ppm
Po4 .03 ppm
No3 0ppm
Cal 420
Salinity 1.025
TDS 0

Have been running a GFO Reactor for a month now change avery 2 weeks 2/3 carbon 1/3 GFO
In the process of hooking up a Stenner Pump for a continues WC
I have added more of a cleanup crew for the Algae ......
Im lost trying to figure out what to do next.
Thinking mabye I ought to pull all the live rock out and clean and put back in.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

spdjnky
01/02/2017, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know what else I can do?

matt1444
01/02/2017, 01:46 PM
Nothing beats good husbandry but I used vibrance and had great results.

RobZilla04
01/02/2017, 04:26 PM
Some suggestions.

Copied and pasted from another thread, here is my common advice to combat algae (gha mostly):

I never had success or read anyone having great success with phosguard.

Several suggestions below.

1. Cut the photo period
2. Reduce feeding (rinse & strain frozen foods)
3. A reactor w/ GFO
4. Increased water change frequency
5. Diligent manual removal by hand or toothbrush (daily)
6. Algae scrubber (some have good success with these)
7. Blue leg hermit crabs (keep in mind this will increase your bio load)

Suggestions 1-5 must all be done in conjunction w/ each other. No one solution is going to work over night. Be patient and persistent.

Best of luck.

LuvMyBlenny
01/02/2017, 04:39 PM
How long has it been set up ?
I had a bad outbreak about 5 months after setup , used Algaefix + manual removal till the worst was gone , about 2-3 weeks , then ran a phosphate reactor for a few months and did 20% water changes weekly .
It's now 7 months later and no algae .

outssider
01/02/2017, 05:11 PM
try adding some turbo snails, also research "carbon dosing". I see you have a blenny, isn't he eating any of the algae ?

spdjnky
01/03/2017, 09:38 AM
https://goo.gl/photos/6fVRVKJUU9cJkQYB8

Again I am in the process of hooking up a Stenner pump for continues WC's
Added pics to see if anyone thinks I might have to much light in the room without the lights on.
I also have a new RO/DI unit that will help water quality once I get all the water changed over
IM still thinking I should take some of the rocks out and clean them and put them back in. I don't have but like 3 corals that I don't like any way was thinking of putting them in my refugium for the time being.

spdjnky
01/03/2017, 09:39 AM
https://goo.gl/photos/6fVRVKJUU9cJkQYB8

here are more pics

RobZilla04
01/03/2017, 10:15 AM
Couple of observations:

1) Flow - from the next to last pic it appears you have only one power head. The tall rock structure on the left side is def restricting flow to the back left corner. The power head pointing up is likely not providing sufficient flow to the bottom of the tank either. Consider adding an additional power head. Also if you do take the rocks out to clean them, re-aquascape to allow for more adequate flow across the entire tank.

2) Are you running a sump for filtration? If so, consider adding a quality protein skimmer to help with nutrient export.

3) Reduce the intensity and photo period (especially that of the white channel).

4) If you started the tank with tap water, expect to be fighting this battle for some time until you perform enough water changes and/or nutrient export to get phosphates & nitrates under control. You aren't seeing them in the test results because they are tied up in the algae.

Patrick.S
01/03/2017, 11:02 AM
I wonder if continuous wc systems end up throwing the baby out with the tank water. I think of my ability to siphon out detritus as the most valuable part of a wc. Just my rather inexperienced opinion though.

spdjnky
01/03/2017, 08:08 PM
Thanks Rob I really have never even given the flow especially in the back left corner of the wall but that is where I have a massive allergy problems
A little information that I did not post tank has been set up now for I year and three months trying to let it go on the back burner over this past summer
I am running our Life Reef System for the sump and refugium
Just installed the GFO the beginning of December by phosphates tonight were zero
I really like the way the aquascape is set up but also I can see what you're saying as far as flow restriction definitely have to work on it any ideas would be helpful as the fish and inverts I have right now Like the caves
As far as the light intensity on the LEDs I actually just lowered the lights 4 inches and turned the intensity up on the lights to 80% on the whites and have the blues at 60%
This was done for the couple corals I have but I really don't like anyway
The Tank was originally set up by my local LFS with premixed SW
I was using a RO Buddie that did not do the job,I just replaced that with a new unit and my TDS is 0
So I'm confident that once I get the Steiner pump hooked up all my water quality should be perfect but the rock work is in such bad shape with algae makes me think I should just take it out clean it and re-aquascape at the same time I can figure out the flow for the new aqua scraping
Now the only problem is the best way to do it
Thanks again for your input I really have a plan to go with now I believe I will post more pictures tomorrow