PDA

View Full Version : Considering a pico/nano

thetravelguy
01/02/2017, 12:08 AM
Hey guys. I'm brand new here. I've been lurking and reading for some time and figured I might as well finally make a presence. I'm 25 and a senior STILL in school. Taken time off to travel and such. Anyways. I used to be in the hobby years ago, when I was a teenager, but is been probably 7 or 8 years since I've done much. I was really into freshwater planted, was decent at it. Also had a good salt water tank that ran for about a year and a half. No corals, just live rock and fish. I did attempt a nano that lasted about 3 months, never had much success and all the corals died. But the urge to get back in the game is strong and has been for a while. But over this last week I went scuba in key west and the moment I got back on the boat I knew I had to get back into the game. So. Here I am.

Anyways. As I've been reading and lurking it is obvious much has changed [emoji102]. I feel like I need to relearn everything. So here I am. My goal is to set up a pico/nano reef. I haven't decided exactly what size, but im thinking 3-6 gallons so I can easily move it. Still being in school I'm moving around a bit so having that flexibility would be great. Also technically my apt has a no pets rule so we're doing this on the DL. So small is our goal.

One of the biggest things I've noticed is the change in lighting. Back when I used compact florecents and always had good results (with my fw plants) but now I'm looking and most of what I see is LED and I'm a little lost ad to how that all works. So help there would be great.

I feel as though I have the sufficient knowledge to set up and get a tank started. I plan on sand and live rock, obviously, and I'll do a cycle and watch my parameters.

I would prefer to get a tank with "all in one" sort of deal, something like the spec, so I don't have to mess with having an extra filtration or sump, I am open to diy ing the heck out of it though.

I would love yalls help with lighting, getting started with corals and making sure I'm on the right foot. It's been a long time and stuff has changed. So, I may think I'm smart but I'm probably not [emoji28]

K thanks guys. Any and all input will be appreciated.

Houston

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

moondoggy4
01/02/2017, 11:19 AM
Welcome to Reef Central, I have a 12'' cube I would try to get something of that size so I if it has a rear chamber it might work for your. The most expensive item is lighting, I have mostly LPS and plating type corals. I would go to the nano forum for more inspiration. I use a fluval hob filter a little heater and a Kessil 160 easy pesy.

moondoggy4
01/02/2017, 11:20 AM
Any 1 have a nano tank I could have a peek at ??? hth

thetravelguy
01/02/2017, 08:24 PM
I thought about posting to Nano tank but since I havent officially started one yet I wasnt sure if I should. I would love input though

minus9
01/02/2017, 08:45 PM
Here's my nano. This pic is from October.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/altpix/IMG_3343_zpsdohohbwr.jpg

moondoggy4
01/02/2017, 09:34 PM
bad link again

moondoggy4
01/02/2017, 09:36 PM
Any 1 have a nano tank I could have a peek at ??? hth

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616791

This was the link I was trying to post thanks Mac stupid computer:headwalls:

gogo7
01/03/2017, 02:33 AM
if you're a mover, get yourself an air pump, a water container and a par 30/par 38 led bulb and hanging lamp. you can put that light over anything you're gonna grow. i wouldn't spend too much on it if you're gonna be moving around. acrylic something something kit might do it with built in heater, lights and mermaid....but ....
i got a feeling you're on the budget side with this one. it might be wise to spend the cash on the light. you can grow lps in margarine containers if that's your bag. i'm a vase reefer, that's an option.
this is a two and a half gallon cylinder vase with a par 30 over top. air pump and three inch sandbed.http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad18/redwasp7/reef%20vase%202013/crab-04.png
one thing a reef doesn't like is movers. much less a pico that moves.