PDA

View Full Version : Removing a toadstool from frag plug?

DrAwkward
01/02/2017, 09:56 AM
Hi Everybody!

I have a toadstool on a frag plug, and the stupid frag plug just fits nowhere in my tank (except in the sand). I've read about slicing the very bottom of the toadstool with a sharp razor, but I've never done that, and I am wary of killing the beautiful little dude. Is there another way to remove the toadstool from the plug that wont stress him out (and me) so much? I laid the plug sideways next to some rock in hopes that he will unattach from the plug, and attach to the rock.

Tank you so much for your help!

Kevin

aznflyfisherman
01/02/2017, 11:40 AM
Most likely its glue on, it wont unattach, you can just peel it off the plug then wedge it or reglue it to one of your rock where you want to place it.

OldReefGuy
01/02/2017, 11:51 AM
I wouldnt peel it.
Cut the toadstool with a razor blade (or scissors). Cut at very bottom where its attached.
It might release release white liquid, but that normal. If you have some small rubble LR, place around the todastool and it will over some time re-attach. Or use gel version superglue. Place at bottom of tank, away from strong direct flow. It will shrink, again normal, and might even slough off top layer skin, again, normal. Wait until its attached to the rubble, than move to desired location. Thats the beauty of soft corals, very easy to propogate/move. You can propogate the same way. Once its recovered and doing good, slice it like a pizza all the way down and put in rubble.

Reincarnate
01/02/2017, 02:42 PM
Instead of removing the coral from the frag plug I would just cut the stem off and then glue the disk somewhere among the rocks. Eventually it will overgrow that frag plug and you'll never even know it was there.

Sk8r
01/02/2017, 04:55 PM
The base of a toadstool gets very broad, and leathers when they're annoyed can be real chemically aggressive with a tank. My vote is the last one. Use superglue gel to attach just the head of the plug, and it'll be fine. Just hold in place until you're sure it's 'taken.'

kmbyrnes
01/02/2017, 05:37 PM
I've gone even further. Using 2 pair of pliers, carefully chip away the parts of the frag plug not covered by the coral until it is of a size that will fit in your rock work. Then use Superglue gel to stick it in place.

Tom39
01/03/2017, 08:02 AM
The base of a toadstool gets very broad, and leathers when they're annoyed can be real chemically aggressive with a tank. My vote is the last one. Use superglue gel to attach just the head of the plug, and it'll be fine. Just hold in place until you're sure it's 'taken.'
+1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DrAwkward
01/03/2017, 09:47 PM
I've gone even further. Using 2 pair of pliers, carefully chip away the parts of the frag plug not covered by the coral until it is of a size that will fit in your rock work. Then use Superglue gel to stick it in place.

Thank you! I was able to chip at the plug with heavy shears till i could fit it into a hole in a rock. Thanks for the advice! Now this guy hopefully has a home.