PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the hobby, looking for suggestions.

Tcox
01/02/2017, 10:41 AM
Hello again RC. I temporarily left the hobby not long ago, but I bought a house and I am ready to return. First off, I bought a corner overflow 60g cube (24x24x24) and a stand. I plan to slowly buy my equipment and hunt for bargains. I have a few fundamental questions and I would like your input:

Sump:
Since I am working with a cube, I feel that I'm at a disadvantage in the sump department. I'm a little worried about fitting a heater, return, skimmer, and a fuge in a smallish footprint. I have a slight possibility of running a remote sump to the garage, but I'm a little apprehensive about tempature swings and pollutants. Most likely I would just keep it simple and go with a sump under the tank. Any experience/knowledge of the most cost effective method for a cube?

Lighting:
I left the hobby with kessil's and was pretty happy with them. I am somewhat inclined to go with a single 360 series kessil, but is there a "better" light for the money? Most likely will be shopping the used matket here. Im planning on a mixed reef tank.

Skimmer:
When I left, it was hard to beat an octopus. Again, is there a better sump skimmer for the money?

Return:
I'm considering something in the 700-900gph range here. Not too picky as long as it is reputable. Any ones I should stay away from?

Thank you RC. I am looking forward to rejoining the community.

SFish
01/02/2017, 03:56 PM
Welcome back first of all.

As far as sump with that size I think your going to have to make one out of acrylic. A 20 gallon tank is 24" long so there's no way that's going to fit in your stand. You want a sump at least 15" wide to fit most skimmers 18 is even better. Otherwise buy a cube sump.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/pokerstudent1/D8920449-7546-4591-9DB4-F001E433B11A_zps49gvhnhn.jpeg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/pokerstudent1/media/D8920449-7546-4591-9DB4-F001E433B11A_zps49gvhnhn.jpeg.html)