PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp w/ Fire Shrimp?

RobZilla04
01/02/2017, 05:04 PM
Quick question, found a couple of spots of aptasia on new frags. I've got a fire shrimp and was gonna try to toss in a couple of peppermint shrimp to try to rid the frags of aptasia. Wondering if they are going to cause a problem with my fire shrimp?

AlSimmons
01/02/2017, 05:36 PM
I don't think you'll have any problems mixing the two, especially in a 90 gallon tank.

RobZilla04
01/02/2017, 06:09 PM
Thx

Dapg8gt
01/02/2017, 06:28 PM
If you can cut the frags off of plugs/rock. I would recommend that instead of knowingly introducing a pest as prolific as aptasia into your system. Especially if your going to rely on an animal that may not even touch them.

Another option that's basically and end all for them is to encase the aptasia in super glue. I've done it multiple times, just pull out the rock/coral and cover it ( aptasia) in glue. You can remove the glue in a month or two if you want or just let it blend into the tank after a while. Make sure not to disturb the nem in the tank as they will release spores causing serious issues down the line if not kept in check.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

RobZilla04
01/02/2017, 06:51 PM
If you can cut the frags off of plugs/rock. I would recommend that instead of knowingly introducing a pest as prolific as aptasia into your system. Especially if your going to rely on an animal that may not even touch them.

Another option that's basically and end all for them is to encase the aptasia in super glue. I've done it multiple times, just pull out the rock/coral and cover it ( aptasia) in glue. You can remove the glue in a month or two if you want or just let it blend into the tank after a while. Make sure not to disturb the nem in the tank as they will release spores causing serious issues down the line if not kept in check.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I like your suggestion. I didn't introduce them knowingly. I probably could've guessed they would have them tho. The LFS had a lot of aptasia but I had the guy move the frags I had selected to a corner of the tank on a secluded rack. I observed them for nearly ten minutes and didn't see the aptasia. Yet here I am a week later and I've got two that I can see for sure.

The little buggers have a hole in the stalk of the trumpet coral which they dive deep into. I'll probably try the reef safe super glue option rather then the peppermint shrimp since I really don't want several of those again.