PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting on a 12" deep tank?

DPRoberts
01/02/2017, 07:22 PM
I'm about to set up a new tank, and I'd like to keep clams in it someday.

I haven't picked out the exact tank yet, but I'm definitely going to get one that's 12" deep and 24" long.

I've never kept clams before, and I'm thinking that a derasa would be the best choice, since they need less light and prefer to live on the sand bed. Since I don't have a lot of depth to play with, I think clams like maximas that live up on rocks would probably not be a good idea.

After having tried a number of different lighting systems over several years, I definitely prefer LEDs. In particular, I'm leaning towards the Kessil lights as I have seen them in person and really like their appearance and ease of use. However, I am open to other suggestions.

Any recommendations for which lights to consider (and how many over a 24" long tank) would be greatly appreciated.

carrots
01/02/2017, 07:55 PM
I have Kessil 360WE They each cover 2 feet, so two would be perfect for your 24" tank. You shouldn't need to run them more than 50% in such a shallow tank.

DPRoberts
01/02/2017, 08:05 PM
I have Kessil 360WE They each cover 2 feet, so two would be perfect for your 24" tank. You shouldn't need to run them more than 50% in such a shallow tank.

If they each cover 2 feet, would I be okay with only one - especially since the clams would likely be placed directly under the light in the middle of the tank?

MondoBongo
01/03/2017, 10:03 AM
just something to think about, T. derasa can easily attain 24" in length when fully grown. so unless your tank is 3 feet deep, or you only want to keep a derasa, you might want to consider a smaller species of Tridacna.

if you're mounting kessels over a 12" tall tank, i would have no concerns about light levels.

DPRoberts
01/03/2017, 10:47 PM
just something to think about, T. derasa can easily attain 24" in length when fully grown. so unless your tank is 3 feet deep, or you only want to keep a derasa, you might want to consider a smaller species of Tridacna.

if you're mounting kessels over a 12" tall tank, i would have no concerns about light levels.

I know that most clams would probably outgrow this tank, but that would be a good problem to have down the road. I'd definitely start with smaller ones (from what I've read here, anything over 2" is a good starting point) and trade/sell them if they got too big.

I've ordered an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 - 24" long, 12" wide, and 12" deep. I've definitely decided to hang two lights over it. I've narrowed it down to two AI Primes or two Kessil A80s. I know people have kept clams successfully under AI Primes, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I'm also drawn to the simplicity of the Kessils, but I have no idea whether an A80 could grow clams over what's basically a 12" cube. Any advice?

MondoBongo
01/04/2017, 07:43 AM
I know that most clams would probably outgrow this tank, but that would be a good problem to have down the road. I'd definitely start with smaller ones (from what I've read here, anything over 2" is a good starting point) and trade/sell them if they got too big.

I've ordered an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 - 24" long, 12" wide, and 12" deep. I've definitely decided to hang two lights over it. I've narrowed it down to two AI Primes or two Kessil A80s. I know people have kept clams successfully under AI Primes, so I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I'm also drawn to the simplicity of the Kessils, but I have no idea whether an A80 could grow clams over what's basically a 12" cube. Any advice?

ah the a80's are a little different than i've seen before.

i was thinking you were referring to the normal "can" style kessels.

although i wouldn't imagine their build/output over a relatively small area would be of concern.