PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo urchin advice/help

sturner91
01/03/2017, 12:37 AM
So I've come to find that my blue tuxedo urchin isn't moving around a whole lot. In fact if I'm not mistaken he's been in the same spot for a little while now. I want to say about half his spines are missing and blue is missing as well, yet I still see movement on the spines and the urchin itself. There's definitely a lot of algae in the tank, primarily hair algae.

In my research I've found that urchins can be very sensitive. Although I've lacked pH swing and salinity swings is it possible a sudden drop in nitrates could effect it? My nitrates have been hanging around 40-80ppm until the other day(finally the vodka dosing took affect). Now my tests register 5-10ppm but still lots of hair algae. Hair algae has noticeably been getting weaker so that's on its way out finally :D

I'm concerned for the bugger. It was always a treat seeing him on the glass or atop a rock dressed in shells.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sturner91
01/03/2017, 12:38 AM
Oh I forgot to mention I did introduce biopellets as well which was less than a week ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gmlee
01/03/2017, 07:09 AM
Ease up on the vodka before your urchin gets too loaded. Seriously......just ease up now.

mcgyvr
01/03/2017, 11:05 AM
More than likely the urchin is (or was) dying from the higher nitrates,etc.. (hence the missing spines)..
If its still showing movement,etc.. then just leave it be and see if it recovers..
If it gets worse..chuck it in the trash..

But no a reduction in nitrates will not cause death of anything..

Just give it time to see if it recovers..

sturner91
01/04/2017, 10:22 AM
More than likely the urchin is (or was) dying from the higher nitrates,etc.. (hence the missing spines)..
If its still showing movement,etc.. then just leave it be and see if it recovers..
If it gets worse..chuck it in the trash..

But no a reduction in nitrates will not cause death of anything..

Just give it time to see if it recovers..

There is movement. He's still hanging out in the same area but I can see the spines that are left still bobbing around and hes moved little by little. I was talking with my LFS yesterday and he was thinking maybe if I had a swing in my alkalinity that could throw him off.

mcgyvr
01/04/2017, 11:30 AM
Yes parameter swings can cause issues..