PDA

View Full Version : Beating Dino: Water Change or No Water Change?

GSMclowns
01/03/2017, 03:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

I thought I have been dealing with some very tough CyanoBacteria but I think they are actually Dino. Anyway, I have been spending all days doing research on this topic but still very confused about water change. Some people advice No water change at all while some people believe that water change will help to defeat those pests.

So from your personal experiences (Not reading from the internet): Water change or no Water change when dealing with Dino.

RobZilla04
01/03/2017, 06:04 PM
Just doing water changes alone will not rid a system of them. You'll be slightly to greatly diluting the nutrients in the system depending on what size water change you do (this is treating the symptom). You need to get nutrient control involved and figure out how to export the excess nitrates, phosphates, etc. (this is treating the underlying problem). Lots of folks couple several days of blackouts as well.

I voted water change, simply because it is part of the process.

beuchat
01/03/2017, 06:20 PM
I have been beating dinos for three times in two diferent thanks. I had prorocemtrum lima and ostreopsis. I stop Water changes because they were doing nothing against the dinos. In fact, this microrganism take advantages when very low phosphate and nitrate aré present. I tried high ph and blak out and no improvent. The three times the dinos were completed destroyed using ozone in the protein skimmer in 3 or 4 days with redox increased near 450 mv

Good luck